1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW So guys, why should I play Kow?

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Otzi'mandias, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

I've seen the rules, I know the basics, but why (no offense, not Meant rudely) should I play Kow instead of Aos? What systems, rules and the like does it have to beat the old warhammer rules and systems? I am genuinely interested, so dont be shy.

2. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

I've just started to play KoW, and I can give you a newbie insight of the game.

Best thing of it is that you can actually play both games with almost no effort. In KoW units have a fixed size and you don't remove models from them you just count the wounds, that has lead some players to multibase their units, that is usually to make dioramas for them but it also means that you don't have to put all the miniatures in the unit for it to be legal. Think about this, you just need to use 50% plus 1 miniatures, so in an infantry Horde of 40 miniatures you just need to use 21, and it's legal!!

What people usually do is cut movement trays of the exact size for a unit (unit dimensions are fixed and cannot be changed) and just place the miniatures over them, you can use magnets or blutac. Or if you don't want to play other games just glue them.

The movement system is great, simple and elegant and the army lists are incredibly well balanced and better still the rules committee actually listed to the players and they playtest everything to be sure all the units are priced correctly.

But the absolute gem of the system is that it is designed specifically for tournaments, WFB players are usually shocked by the fact that during a players turn, the other player can't do anything. I was shocked too but the truth is that it works amazingly well and after a couple of games it makes absolute sense. This way of playing leaves the result of a battle to the players skill, of course there are dice to throw but trust me I've won games that went downhill just by careful planning and tactics, check the battle report I've posted here.

Battles are really fast and intense, normal game of 2000 pts lasts about 1:30 to 2:00 hours, and after it there isn't a hundred miniatures to pick up, just 7-9 units and it takes just 1 minute to start another battle if you want to.

What can I say, it's free to give it a try. No investment on your part, just grab a friend and play a couple games of 1000 - 1500 pts. Just remember its very important to play with terrain in this game, if you don't use it a very important part of the strategy is lost.

Check http://kow2.easyarmy.com it's a free and complete army builder with all the armies.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

No idea...?
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

Otzi'mandias likes this.
  4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Dont be harsh! There's a place in this forum for all lizards.
    Even Barry the turtle. :turtle:
    :D

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I'm not being negative, I just have no clue about all these alternate rule sets. :confused:

6. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Neither do I - the whole point of this thread was
    1. To decide if the rules were good enough to persevere with.
    2. Also to allow all the other forumites to get a look at why KoW is so good compared to AoS

7. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Yeah, the bullet points defeated me.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yea, My opponent (singular) will only play 8th. :(
    maybe I can talk him into some of the 8.5/8.1 rules...

pendrake likes this.
  9. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I have just wrote a very long post, so long its awaiting moderation. Lol

The game is fantastic, and it's 100% free to play if you already have the miniatures. Why not try it?

10. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

kings of war is more like fantasy battles then aos. in kow a unit does not suffer individual casualties, but either the unit is wiped out or it gets negative/ no effects. units may only charge if there is space, like fantasy battles. as an aos player I don't know much about fantasy, but that you do need to spend a lot of money to get into it. however, mantic (the company who make kow) have cheaper models and big army bundles, which look down upon the "start collecting" boxes made by gw. starter rules for kow are free, like aos. who knows, you may enjoy it!

Itepixcauh likes this.
  11. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Me and a friend of mine decided to try both KoW and 9th Age, and after a couple of games of each the result was clear.

9th age seemed slow, dense and we still had to look all the time to the rules and army books to clear things up, it was also messy to setup the board again once we finished.

KoW is fast, we could play 2 games of it in the same time it took to play one of 9th Age, and setting the board again for another game is just under a minute. Also the armies are extremely well balanced, most games were decided in the last turn.

classicflava likes this.
  12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

My local IndyGT switched to it...(but that works for my reason)

(for OP)...you don't need to rebase your models to try it out. At worst you'd just need some new move trays of the KoW standard sizes.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  13. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

As @dwarfepic said comparing KoW to AoS is like comparing 40K to Fantasy, it really makes no sense.

What kills AoS for me are two things, first and most important: there are no points value, that is a big no for me. Secondly is that even as I like the new profiles (similar to KoW really) and combat system, they made a big mistake: you always roll the same to hit and wound, it doesn't really care what you are fighting, I don't like that it's a big design mistake.

But in the end it's just the points really, I may be old fashioned but I just can't live with that, it feels like a very lazy thing to do. Think about it, they designed a system where they don't have to playtest anything...

14. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I'm planning on writing a full, and quite long review of the rules and the salamander army list. I just need to find some spare time, give me a couple days

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:cool::rolleyes::cool:

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-!!!

Itepixcauh likes this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Me 3

Itepixcauh likes this.
  17. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

As I've said before, I'm wiritng a full review of the rules, very thorough one. I will also be review the army. Maybe in a couple of days will be posted.

In the meanwhile, a brief review:

18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

My son is 9 and 8th was too intense for him luckly AOS arrived as I started back in the hobby but my son reads the 8th book and loves the idea so maybe KOW would work for us nothing wrong with playing 2 systems.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Read it and posted above ^

Itepixcauh likes this.
  20. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Try it with him, it's a simple system to learn, yet it has a really complex depth to it. I think you will love it.

If you do try it, please let us know how your experience was.

BTW, good job educating your son. That's the way to go :D:D

dwarfepic and Crowsfoot like this.