8th Ed. SoT & BotWD

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by cammy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cammy
    Saurus

cammy New Member

I have seen this go back and forth in differant places and seen people argue over this one so hopefully it has been FAQ'ed but as i am going to be playing some HE players shortly i wanted to be sure on the answer.

Does Banner of the World Dragon negate Shield of thorns? does it dispell it? does it only negate the damage caused by it?

Differant people seem to give differant answers and iwas wondering what people normally play by when thsi crops up?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure. I would think that since it is an augment that damages those in base to base contact, it would affect the unit. The unit is not targeted, it is hit because it is in base to base contact. However, I can see the argument from the other side as well.

3. magician
    Skink

magician New Member

Does it really matter? Any HE player foolish enough to get into B2B with us with a BSB carrying a magic banner is just asking to lose that BSB anyway...so the question only effects one turn ;)

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

True statement, I would put all of my attacks on that BSB to take out that banner.

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

if you read the description on banner of the world dragon it should be very clear.

the unit with BotWD will NOT take any damage from shield of thorns.
    shield of thorns will NOT be dispelled

:)

6. cammy
    Saurus

cammy New Member

the argument thought which i jkeep hering though is that SoT is not an area affect spell and does not do direct damage by iteself so should be treated the same as the flaming sword of Rhuin.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

"the unit is completely immune to all spell effects, whatever their source"
    pretty clear to me.

EDIT: flaming sword does not affect the poor elves getting chopped up. it augments the sauruses chopping them up. hence it will still work "against" the elves in question. throne of vines actually does damage to another unit. that would definitely qualify as a "spell effect" in my book.

8. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Agreed boosting the abilities of you'r troops works, causing damage as a result of a spell dosen't.