8th Ed. Spear and hand weapon

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Lingbei, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

My friend is trying to tell me he can use a spear and a hand weapon on the same turn rather than using his shield because a spear isn't stated to be two handed. I don't think this is right as the rules say they use the spear first but can they then use a hand weapon after rather than the shield?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

No, if he takes spears, he has to use them throughout the combat. He can only use shields against shooting. He also does not get the parry save. I think he does get the +1 to armor (I think).

3. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

Is he trying to say he is using Dual Weapon? Sword and spear at the same time?
    I am new to WHFB so I do not know the guidelines for using two single handed weapons one in each hand. Can someone fill us in?

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

4. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

He can use the HW or if he has a spear he must use it instead, if he also has a shield he gets +1 to his armor but no parry. The only weapon a hand weapon can be paired with is another hand weapon.

5. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

Thanks, I was trying to tell him but then he just ranted complaining that he was right.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Look up the weapon section in the main rulebook. It explains it well. You can never combine a spear and hand weapon, only 2 hand weapons. Doesn't matter that the spear is one handed, it is not a hand weapon.

If you take spears, in combat you get no choice at all in 8th ed. You must use them all the time, you can't choose to use hand weapon and shield.

7. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

Thanks for that, can now prove to him I was right :)