7th Ed. Spears and Predatory Fighters?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Quillum, May 25, 2009.

1. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

I can't find the thread that mentioned this, but as I recall someone said something along the lines that spears are better for Saurus in this edition of the army book than the last because they no longer have Predatory Fighters. Could someone clarify for me?

I know it doesn't much make a difference now since we no longer have it, but I like to know things like this.

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Yes. This is true.

3. Corbechev
    Saurus

Corbechev New Member

Yeah they now recieve full attacks from the front two rows, so 21 attacks, providing you didn't lose abunch from going second due to their terrible initiative

4. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

Oh, so Predatory Fighters made it so the Spearsaurus in the back rank only attacked once?

5. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Yeah that's exactly it.

Just as background:

In the 1st army book, one of the attacks of a saurus (any saurus) was considered as a "bite" attack, and therefore this could not benefit from any benefits of weapons that they might have.

In the 2nd army book, this was changed slightly, renamed "predatory fighters" and reference to "bite" was removed. Basically all it did was reduce one attack from spears in the second rank.

In the current (3rd) version of the army book, there is no reference whatsoever to this and therefore it stands to follow that saurus spears in the second rank can attack with their full complement of attacks

6. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

Ah, thanks kindly for clarifying that! That's exactly what I was looking for in the answer

7. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

Oh, one more question. With spears, does the second rank only attack on the turn the unit charges? I don't have a rule book handy, so I can't look up how spears work.

8. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Quite the opposite actually. The second rank attacks when the unit remained stationary. Therefore, the second rank attacks when you are either charged or in a subsequent round of combat if neither unit breaks in the first round.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Welcome to the forum by the way :)

9. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

Thanks for the information, and thanks for the welcome!

I've got a 1k match on Tuesday, either a GW staff member will be walking me through how a battle goes, or another fantasy player will be kind enough to help out, so I'm trying to learn what I can.