8th Ed. Spell eater rune and Innate bound spells.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by VampTeddy, Jan 20, 2014.

1. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

So i started considering the Spelleater rune and Innate bound spells.

From what i understand Spelleater runes provide you with a 4+ eat the rune but instant dispel option, but what i also holed out of the interwebz is that it does so specifically against wizards. Now i have been searching FAQ's far and wide to see how it really works against the Bastiladons beam (or similar) because i didn't want to start arguing about it should i start facing pesky dwarves.

What is the common understanding here?

Is it even written so specifically against wizards?

2. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Spelleater Rune: This rune woks exactly like a Rune of Spellbreaking. Also, when the enemy spell is cancelled, roll a die. On 4+ the enemy spell is lost to the Wizard casting it and can't be cast again by him for the rest of the game.

Rune of Spellbreaking: This rune will stop enemy magic instantly. The rune may be played to automatically dispel one enemy spell - there is no need to roll. This rune won't help against spells with IF.

---

It seems to me that the rune would work to dispel the beam, but I don't think someone using a bound spell is necessarily a Wizard so the Solar Engine probably doesn't lose the spell(?)

I also don't see anything in the BRB FAQ or the Dwarf FAQ that covers this.

3. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

I would consider it kinda lame to claim that the bastiladon is immune to the spelleater rune, just because the word "wizard" is mentioned in the rune description.

I don't see any real reason why the rune wouldn't work in whole against innate spells ^_^

4. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

As a matter of fact i do.

Since Innate bound spells and spells are so very much different when treated by the rules.

Innate bound spells cannot be lost on a miscast.

So can normal spells.

that would be my main argument that the Spelleater cannot eat it, this is also why i found a need to post it, because while the RaW is clear it's silly, and old, and prolly unfaqed due to a look-over. The RaI though is hard to put my fingers on, the bastiladon isn't a wizard, ok, but that prolly was just an oversight, the innate bound spell however, is a whole different creature. It cannot be lost on a miscast, now the only (ONLY) other thing in the game that can force something to foget a spell, is these runes, i am having problems making up my mind whether i believe they should work as a miscast forget, or as if the Bastiladon was a wizard, and just give that to the rune, after all, it is 4+, so not in any ways super OP... But still...

5. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

I would allow it.

You should count yourself lucky if he uses is one use only 100ss rune on your solar engine imo ^_^

6. aidanlynch
    Saurus

aidanlynch New Member

In the same vein; if a spelleater rune destroys a spell, can that spell be generated again with our High magic lore attribute?

7. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

8. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

25 SS as far as i have heard, and he can use more ;) just need unique combinations.

I'll just allow it if it happens :)

TY for your input guys!

and to answer if we can re-create it, yes we can.

i believe it's even stated (almost) in the attribute :)

9. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Ah yes, of course, I multiplied the wrong way, my bad :p