7th Ed. Spells and Magic Resistance

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by JohnnyH5, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JohnnyH5
    Skink

JohnnyH5 New Member

I was just wondering are there any spells that can get around Magic Resistance ability that several units have, Someone in the tactics thread I believe said that a certain spell in Lore of Death can but I can't see how.

By the way I'm a newbie hence silly question :D Well not a newbie to GW, played 40K before seeing the light.

2. Starblayde
    Skink

Starblayde New Member

If you've got an attacking spell that can affect one enemy unit, then jump to another one (I really have no idea what it's called, but one exists, lol) you can target it at a non-Magic Resistant unit and see if it then jumps across to a Magic Resistant unit - because the spell is already in effect the Magic Resistance is allegedly unable to stop the spell in the normal way.

3. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Basically any spell with an area of effect gets passes the MR by, from the Lore of Death that would be Drain Life.

4. spacelizard
    Saurus

spacelizard Member

As I mentioned in another thread (I suspect the one the poster is referring to), According to the errata, magic resistance requires the unit to be the target of a given spell. That is, a magic resistant unit has to be "targeted" and not just "affected" by a spell for them to get their magic resistance, so if the spell doesn't "target" a unit, as is the case with spells like comet, guardian light, drain life, and various others, then none of the units affected by it are the "target" of the spell (so no magic resistance). To put it another way, if you have to aim the spell at something, the thing you're aiming at gets its magic resistance, otherwise it doesn't.

@starblayde: You're probably thinking of plague (for Skaven), although I think warpath (for O&G) also does that.

5. Starblayde
    Skink

Starblayde New Member

Plague, that's the one! I think there was a thread about it on Warseer somewhere.

6. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

Hey, are you allowed to cast the same spell multiple times in a single magic phase? e.g. urannon's thunderbolt something twice?

7. Gripper
    Skink

Gripper New Member

No, each spell can only be cast once per phase. Unless you have more than once catser with a spell.

E.g. 2 skink priests with uranon's thunderbolt.

8. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

some army books allow spells to be casted multiple times. some examples are VCand TK.
    unless noted otherwise a spell may only be cast once by a wizards in one magic phase.

9. JohnnyH5
    Skink

JohnnyH5 New Member

Thanks guys for your help, I now know which Lores to use against my opponents this weekend.