8th Ed. stacking spells

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Coatl, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

I had an interesting thought when 8th edition came out and im just getting around to posting it. If you run 2 models with loremaster (double slann, slann and tetto, etc) and you cast the same spell twice on a unit (shield of thorns x 2 ?), do you get the benefits from both spells? My argument here is theres nowhere i can see in the BRB that says you don't and no FAQ question I've seen addresses this. So, using shield of thorns as my example, at the end of the magic phase, a unit in base contact would now suffer 4D6 S3(4) hits. Any arguments welcome.

2. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Yes spells are stackable now, its great for gut magic and actually makes the heavens signature spell a nice spam option.

3. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

generally, i would have thought you'd be better off taking different lores, but yes, there isn't anything to stop you doing it.

as far as the heavens sig spell goes, as long as there's 2 units worth casting it on, i would generally go for casting it once on both units rather than stacking, but it definetley has it's uses (e.g. preventing poison hits or a particularly nasty war machine firing)

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm you can't take the same spell twice in an army is the only limit there, does the Loremaster ability allow you to override that rule?

5. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

yes it does strewart. At least I am fairly confident it does.
    Plus the signature spell can be taken by multiple casters as well.

6. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

correct. loremaster means you know all the spells of a specific lore. the only restriction for taking specific spells is when they are randomly determined. for instance, if you had tetto and a priest in an army, the priest would still get to roll for his spell (or two for lvl 2) because you have not rolled a duplicate choice (tetto just knows all of them). i agree its odd to take the same lore for both loremasters, but there are some pretty good combos out there (double fire = lots of high casting, double death = lots of power dice, double life = raising the dead). i also like the fact that if your opponent dispels a crucial spell, time warp for instance, youd have the opportunity to throw that spell down again. really lends support to those lists that rely on specific spells to be super-effective.

7. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Loremasters falls under the "has no choice in what spells he knows" category that is specifically exempt from the "no duplicate spells" rule.