7th Ed. Staff of the Lost Suns?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by jormi_boced, Mar 13, 2010.

1. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I just played with the Staff of the Lost Suns last night for the first time. Does the bearer suffer a penalty for multiple shots when firing it? My opponent didn't think he would since he doesn't have to for his reaver bow, but he said he they faqed it later.

does anyone know if this is FAQed?

2. KonektFor
    Skink

KonektFor New Member

I skimmed the 7th edition and only found that the staff of lost suns is magical, it doesn't say anything either way.

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

any ranged weapon that fires more than 1 shot suffers a -1 penalty for multiple shot unless mentioned otherwise, its in the BRB, weapons section

4. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Only weapons with that say they fire "Multiple Shots" get the -1 to hit.

Staff of the Lost Sun: 3x Multiple Shots, so -1 to hit

For comparison...

Reaver Bow (High Elf item): Longbow that fires 3 shots at the same unit, no modifier.

5. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

Kroxigor is exactly right, if a weapon have the special rule "Xx Multiple shots" it gets a -1 penalty, but if the description doesn't mention any "Xx Multiple shots" rule then its no penalty.

Examples of multiple shot weapons: Lifetaker (still always hits on 2+ but it mentions the 3x Multiple Shot rule), Staff of the Lost Sun

Examples of weapons that fires more than 1 shot but is NOT a multiple shot weapon: Bow of Loren, Reaverbow

6. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

i did not know there were items that fire more than once without the multiple shot rule, mea culpa. alltough some weapons [i.e. skaven ratling gun, flamers] fire more than 1 shot, they do not have the multiple shot rule but it is still mentioned they don't get the -1 penalty to hit for multiple shots. is that there only so poeple don't automatically assume there is a -1?

7. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

The GW army books and rule books are written by different authors, so I would assume some writers wrote that they doesn't get a penalty despite firing multiple shots so that there wouldn't be any misunderstandings while some authors saw it as obvious or didn't consider alternative takes on the rules. GW aren't really consistent but at least they cleared that up very clearly in the HE FAQ:

Q. Does a model with the Reaver Bow suffer
    the -1 to hit penalty for firing multiple shots?
    Also, may a model with the Reaver Bow fire it
    three times as part of a Stand and Shoot
    reaction?

A. No (it does not have the ‘multiple shots’
    rule
    ) and no (it can only fire three times in its
    Shooting phase).

8. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I can remember a similar discussion about the inconsistencies between GW writers on the subject of weapons. SotLS is a Magic Weapon, this means that it is usually treated the with the same rules as its mundane version in addition to the rules provided in the description of the weapon. However, in the SotLS entry in the LM book (pg.99), it does not list it as a 'bow' or a 'staff'. The 'staff' is only treated as a short bow and 3x multi-shot. This is pretty open ended wording, but I would imagine that the bearer would not suffer from the multi-shot rule that is listed in thr BRB.

I could definitely understand an argument either way though. If it is treated like a short bow with multi-shot, then it would also then suffer the multi-shot rule just like a short bow would if it had multi-shot. Treated-as vs. It-is.

9. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

its not a bow, its a staff that functions exaclty like a bow with 3x multiple shot rule. there is no room for interpretation unless you want to redefine multiple shot for magic weapons/short bows. also this line of thinking has proved wrong in the past since the skaven errata came out and the warlord mounted on a bonebreaker has US 3+1 instead of 4+1 making it a sort of "ogre-sized mount" instead of a monstrous mount so GW might have thought the -1 penalty shoun't be there. given the fact that the chief [only resonable character to carry this item] has BS5 means he's hitting on 3's instead of 2's so i don't see a big problem with this, but given the lack of consistency GW has proven between the BRB and the army books i'd love to see this answered in a FAQ