8th Ed. Stand and Shoot question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by MI_Tiger, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Forgive the basic question, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly how the Stand and Shoot charge reaction works with Skinks short ranged weapons.

If a charging enemy starts his move more than 6" away (short range for blowpipes and javelins) from a unit of skinks, do we have to take the long range penalty to our Stand and Shoot? If so, is this in addition to the -1 for Stand and Shoot?

If so, then skinks will almost never get to double tap as a charge reaction, at least not if you want poison (hit on 4's normally, 5's at long range, 6's S&S, 7's double tap). This makes fleeing even more of an option.

The more I play, the more I'm becoming a believer in javelin & shield. :)

2. guitarhero
    Saurus

guitarhero New Member

no long range penalty, just the -1 for stand and shoot.

You can stand and shoot as long as you are farther than the charging units M value away.

Both sets of skinks have their advantages.

I do like a nit of 10 Javs (no command) on my flank though--disruption, speed, and shooting. For Cheap.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Don't forget Javelins have the rule where they can stand and shoot even if the enemy is too close.

4. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Standing and Shooting Blowpipe Skinks will (*almost) always be hitting on 5s (6s if you double tap).
    Normally hit on 4s, -1 for being charged, -1 for double tapping.

Standing and Shooting Javelin Skinks will (*almost) always be hitting on 5s (no double firing javelins).
    Normally hit on 4s, -1 for being charged.

Coolest thing about Javelins are they are Quick to Fire! So there is never any range penalty, movement penalty or minimum range for a Stand and Fire reaction. Just no double shots

Also you can stand and fire with an Ancient Steg's Giant Blow Pipes. Nothing like your opponent saying "Well I don't want to get charged by that Steg, so I think I will charge it". Then getting a face full of 4d6 Poison Fury.
    Can potentially do more damage than the 1d6+1 impact hits.