8th Ed. STAND AND SHOOT !

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by archangelvk, Aug 21, 2013.

1. archangelvk
    Skink

archangelvk New Member

Hey a quick question.

I was playing against Orcs the other day and was charged and decided to stand and shoot with the skinks. My opponent was charging with a unit of normal orcs that started out 10 inches away. When I decided to stand and shoot do I apply the long range penalty? or ONLY the stand and shoot penalty?

THanks

2. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Range penalty applies as well. If you read the rules for Stand and Shoot, it is resolved at the distance at the start of the charge or the max range of the shooting weapon(s), whichever is shorter. If that distance is at long range, then the long range penalty applies.

3. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

You get both the "being charged" penalty and "long range" penalty.

From the BRB: "The shooting is resolved normally assuming the enemy is just within maximum range of the shooting unit's shortest ranged weapon"

4. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Don't forget cover/skirmish as well.
    A razordon pack charging out of the woods at long range is at -4 to be shot on the stand and fire.
    It really makes those dark elves cry.

-Matt

5. lizardmek
    Saurus

lizardmek New Member

the "being charged" penalty is the "long range" penalty the enemy always count as being along range even if they are not

so just the -1 for javelins and -2( extra-1 for multi shot)

also remember javelins are quick to fire which means you always get to stand shoot no matter how close they are

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I think you have some things mixed up... you can in fact have a short range stand and shoot reaction.

1. Stand and Shoot penalty - you always take this penalty when standing and shooting.
    2. Long range - this penalty applies if the enemy begins its charge anywhere outside of your weapon's short range. For javelins, this would be 6 inches.

However, if you have pushed your javelin skink skirmishers up in someone's face, you would only take the Stand and Shoot penalty.

A separate caveat of a Stand and Shoot reaction is that the enemy can start out further away than your weapon's maximum range. Say an enemy charges your javelin skinks from 18 inches, you'd fire at the enemy as though they are at 12 inches.

7. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

You can't ALWAYS make a Stand and Shoot reaction. If the enemy is within their movement range you don't get your stand and shoot, pg 17.

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Right, but I think we're talking javelins, which are quick to fire. Blowpipe skinks need to stay out of the enemy movement range.