8th Ed. Stand & Shoot?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Ragnar, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Ragnar
    Saurus

Ragnar New Member

Hey everybody. Just a quick question. How are shooting penalties applied to a stand and shoot reaction? Specifically, movement? Is it based off of wether or not they moved on my previous turn, or does it just not apply at all?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

it believe it's just:

-1 for stand and shoot (allways)

-1 for long range (posible) Edit: [Disregard]

-1 for shoooting at skirmishers (possible)

-1 for Multi-shot (optional)

I believe the movement penality only effects the current players turn.

3. Ragnar
    Saurus

Ragnar New Member

Well now I know. AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

GO JOE!

:pigeon:

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

What do you mean, long range penalty "if applicable"? I thought we are supposed to shoot as soon as the enemy comes into range of the ranged weapon with the shortest range. Both Javelins and blowpipes have a 12" range. So you have to shoot at if the enemy is 12" away, thus a long range shot, with an additional -1 for the fact that it's a hurried "stand and shoot", thus generally speaking, except for Chameleons, champions and characters, except for skinks double tapping, and unless the charging enemy are skirmishers, you hit on 6's (meaning you still get the benefit of the poison). Correct?

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

MY bad, guess I rembered wrong.
    I fixed my initial post. :oops:

7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Javelins are Quick to Fire which means you always get to stand and shoot regardless of the charge distance, correct? So in the case where you are charged from less than 6" away, you do not have the -1 modifier for long range. In that situation you'd still be hitting on 5+. My skinks are usually all up in someone's face, making this a very likely situation.

While this may be a bit off topic, I have found that some of the people I play are TERRIFIED of charging Razordons. I don't use them as I don't own one, but often they ask, "Wait, is that a Razordon or a Salamander?" before they commit to a charge.

8. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

N810's first post is right, sometimes the -1 for long range isn't applicable if the unit starts less than 6 inches from javelin skinks or a movement 4 unit charges blowpipe skinks from 5 inches.

9. NexS
    Skink

NexS New Member

My understanding of the rule is that the only environmental modifier to a stand and shoot is the -1. The multiple shots -1 may be applicable too, and any other buff/debuffs, but not distance or skirmish (skirmishers tighten their ranks upon charging and I'd assume that the chargees would simply wait until unit is in range).

That's how games at our local club have always been played.

10. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Page 17, BRB: "A stand and shoot reaction can be declared against an enemy unit that starts its charge outside the firing unit's maximum range - The shooting is resolved normally assuming the enemy is just within maximum range of the shooting unit[..]"

Makes sense, though. Your guys are about to cop a bunch of cavalry to the face. They're not going to wait until the last second to fire, pick up their weapons, and set themselves for a charge.

Also from page 17, it's worth noting that even if the charge fails, and the enemy is still outside your maximum firing range, you still get your shots off. Yay for skinks!

Also also, I know it wasn't the question, but I thought I'd add that Quick to Fire also allows you to move and shoot without the -1 penalty.

11. NexS
    Skink

NexS New Member

Good find! So it'd be a -2 in addition to weapon rules, providing they don't start inside the half range mark!

12. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

Not just that, I love how I can Stand and Shoot no matter how close they are. So I stuff them in the face of a block at an angle and shoot, stand and shoot, and then redirect them into a block or away from the main force. Javelins and spears are used the most by me.

13. NexS
    Skink

NexS New Member

Would not allowing a unit to charge a Stegadon be robbing the Stegadon of half its usefulness?
    A unit that charges it does not need to take terror test (and thus only takes one if it is being charged BY a Steg) and the Impact hits are more likely to do damage at strength 6 (or 5 for normal steg)?

14. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

Sorry, I was talking skink skirmishers. I always charge with stegs. They get lonely if you don't.

15. NexS
    Skink

NexS New Member

Ahhh, my bad.
    The only problem I have experienced with that is that often they lose combat and get overrun, it would be nice to have them held up for a flank charge. I do like to use them like fast cavalry to get up in their face and flee a charge, leaving the enemy nice and close for a counter charge next round!
    Good time to surprise them with the Blessed Totem of Extra Charge Distance!

16. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

I use stegs for that since they have the same speed. Set up a charge with the Steg with the skirmishers. I love those dinosaurs.