1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think we have moved past the point of the meme, but this is fun.

You have a point. I would say that Choke points can be used in reverse. If you can force your opponents into or through choke points it can be beneficial. In a larger scale, the point of the Battle of Thermopylae was to limit the forces that could engage the Spartans and most importantly to avoid being surrounded. The point of being surrounded still holds true today.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is true.

However, Espionage, unexpected and lightning fast attacks and really working for what you want to preserve/what you love are still senior strategies I think.

Choke points can be situational and I think in modern times there is too many ways out. It does have it's uses.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Wouldn't you agree that fighting for what you love is more of a source of motivation than a strategy?

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Tsk

I already said that at the beginning! Then you said I was being too literal so I changed the parameters! :D

So... with my re-revised parameters ;) ...

Basically we have 3 things here as strategies and 1 thing which is at the goal level or minimal motivation for war.

One could argue that since it is the motivation for the war itself and whether you are fighting to destroy something or protect something that itself will affect every single action you take and (for the most part) will affect every single person involved with the war and what they do, so to that degree it would be the senior strategy.

Aside from that, choke point is still the one that should go. In present time, there are too many drones, methods of transport and mobile weapons of warfare (ICBM anyone?) to give this one competition with spyfare and surprise attacks with overwhelming force.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

[​IMG]

That said I think Daisy Riddley could have done well with competent writing and directing. As far as I could tell, none of the actors in the Disney Wars trilogy (except maybe the woman who kept saying "pew pew" while shooting were bad at acting.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair play good sir. You did indeed.

In terms of motivation, fighting for what you love isn't so black and white in real life. What if you love world domination and power? Kim Jong-Un seems to love himself. What if you love another country's land? hahaha

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

[​IMG]
    @Y'ttar Scaletail

If I was in charge of the English language, I would reinstate the Ancient Greek words for love.

Maybe add a few more. I don't know if tribal affiliation falls under fillius or is it's own thing (or maybe it's storge). I don't know if love of games or love of ice cream and the like fits under ludus or if it's own thing.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Have I ever posted images of the "lightsaber" I built a few years ago? A very fun, but expensive, project. It's not really finished as it still needs to have certain parts painted/weathered.

saber1a.jpg

saber1b.jpg

14. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I wouldn't mind seeing a series based loosely on some of the old Star Wars comics (or even new interpretations) that follow Han, Luke & Leia and their adventures in between the first movie and Empire. Obviously, this would be a TV/streaming series like Clone Wars/Rebels/Mandalorian and not a set of movies. The main drawback is that you know the primary characters are in no real danger, which is part of the issue with Solo for me.

Maybe movies set in the Old Republic? I think they're considering this already, yes?

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That looks really great. I have four lightsabers (1 from Ultrasabers and 3 from Saberforge). Mine were pre-built though.

When do you plan on finishing it?

16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Sweet! Ultrasabers are great for the price and Saberforge has some really cool designs. However, I have heard that the owner of SF is a bit of a jerk, so that's the only reason I didn't throw money their way. Are all of yours light and sound?

I don't know... I'll probably never finish it if I know me. I'm such a slacker when it comes to my own projects. I've had unpainted Lizards for almost two years now. Honestly, it's not too difficult, so I should do it this year. I'm just waffling as whether I want to paint it or have it powder coated.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yeah, customer service at Ultrasabers is significantly better. I've heard rumors about the SF owner as well.

Two are light and sound, and two are just light.

The two that have no sound I use for spinning (or my sad attempt at spinning). I also have a coupler for them, so I can join them together to form a double edged saber staff (although they are different colours).

One of mine I ordered weathered. Looks great in my opinion, but it comes down to what style you are going for.

What kind of electronics do you have in yours? What colour LED do you have, or is it one of those fancy changeable ones? Sound?

18. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Yeah... I didn't exactly make this hilt for spinning. It has too many "greeblies." I'd probably drop it anyway. Ha ha!

All of my parts are from The Custom Saber Shop, except my internal chassis, which is from Shapeways.

I have a Nano Biscotte V4, with power extender to support my RGB LED. The card can support three different color profiles. I have light blue w/ purple flash, green w/ yellow flash, and yellow w/ red-orange flash. The card can also support three sound fonts. I have two "classic" SW fonts from Rob Petkau (Genesis Custom Sabers) and one other more darkside font. You can change the saber colors, but not on the fly with this card.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's pretty cool. My one sound card only has one sound font, but I think the other one has 8 (although, I only ever use the main one).

All of mine are single colour. I have:
    • red (I do have a green spare LED for this one)
    • lime green
    • blue
    • Indigo (unfortunately there is something wrong with this one so it is more pinky now. When it was working properly it was my absolute favourite colour, but now it is my least favourite)

Just A Skink likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Here are three of mine...
    100_5229.JPG

And here is the fourth....
    100_5702.JPG