1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is by far my most hated point of the prequel trilogy.

It took it from a pretty awesome, magical thing to bacteria level. Totally, totally, totally sucked.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

3. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Agreed. IF Anakin needed to have built one of the droids (for whatever story purpose), I thought it should be R2-D2. Anakin always wanted to be a pilot and see the stars. He lives in a starship junkyard. It seems like it fits to have him construct a rather quirky and unique astromech droid out of various parts. C-3PO would have fit in well as a protocol droid on Padme's ship.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

5. Imrahil
    Slann

6. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

You are all welcome to join me in my own personal head canon of what is going on with the midiclorians.

They don't produce the force, or anything like that, they are just attracted to strong force users, so the stronger with the force you are, the more congregate in your blood.

One thing the prequels were supposed to show, but largely failed, was the old, stagnant Jedi order, and I use midiclorians as part of that narrative. Sometime long in the past the Jedi figured out they could get a sense of a person's connection with the force by looking at the number of midiclorians in them, then over the generations it turned into thinking they were what actually powered the force.

7. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Also how has nobody listed Anakin's virgin birth as one of the stupidest things in the prequels?

8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Wow… I don’t even remember that one…

Just A Skink likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Spreading chaos by killing the cute things :vamp:

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden, Just A Skink and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like how no one brought up Jar-Jar as a problem :)

I still believe that the other stuff subconsciously bothered us so our conscious minds latched on to Jar Jar for some reason....

I stand by the GL for all his genius, he does not know how to write or direct a love story, but the idea was not bad. The virgin birth thing was kind of silly, so in order for Darth Vader to have children he had to have sex with someone, even if it's awkward. Are you telling me awkward romance never resulted in children in all of human history.

The Han-Leia love story was entirely due to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. The most iconic line "I know" was an ad-lib.

Originally Luke's twin sister was going to be an entirely different character than Leia that was going to be introduced separately and Leia was originally intended to be Luke's love interest.

Also, they had an affair in real life, so the sexual tension they showed on screen was not entirely acting.

I am an inspiring writer. I am concerned that I like GL, am incapable of writing a romantic subplot that is not cringey, but I'll deal with that hurdle when I come to it.

Warden and Just A Skink like this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

My mind erased it. But you're right.

Warden, Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Looks like the prequels are taking a verbal beating and are in dire need of their greatest defender. Time for my new favourite meme template...

5rywfl.jpg
    @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I think they have flaws, but they do also have merits.
    Plus, they suddenly become truly good if compared to a certain other trilogy...

15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I like this explanation. I will also add this to my head canon.

+1 to this.

I can think of two conclusions:

1) mitochlorians (mini chlorines? mitti cloridians? mido corodonodians?) actually do have and generate force powers and were so present in Shmi that they somehow generated the requisite y-chromosome genetic material not previously present in her body (females have two x-chromosomes) to cause a surprise virgin pregnancy.

2) she is lying about the virgin-birth thing. I mean, if you look in the wiki in one of the various star wars fan sites it states she grew up as a slave and amongst pirates, and the only reason they kept the girl alive despite being an extra mouth to feed was to perform "essential" services to them. Really horrible life to live.

I have never been a jedi, but I am surprised Qui-gon (or however you spell his name) didn't come to conclusion #2 as it makes a bit more sense to me.

Regardless she seems to come from a family with extreme force sensitivity... wonder how that came about? Medical experiments? Good genes? Where did the rest of her family go after her parents were lost?

Never saw that one before :D

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I like this a lot. I've added it to my head.

17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Sadly, based on the story of the prequels and the sequels, the line of Skywalker is technically the line of Palpatine. In the opera scene, I gathered that Palpatine is alluding to the fact that he created Anakin from the force. Apparently, midichlorians or not, Palpatine is the really strong source of the Force (hey, that rhymes) in all the movies. His "progeny" are super powerful Force users, able to pick it up quicker (Anakin) and/or just be great right away (Rey).

Scalenex likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The first iteration was here

More of them will be created... as the need arises!

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The opposite of love is not hate, the opposite of love is indifference. We wouldn't talk about the Star Wars prequels if we didn't like them, at least a little bit.

Notice we don't have a thread where we rip on Jupiter Descending or Mortal Engines.

The opera scene was not being subtle with the visuals on the ceiling that greatly resembled eggs and sperm while Palpatine was talking about having powers considered to be unnatural. :oops: