7th Ed. steg hit by catapult + night gobbo fanatics & terror

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Xul, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

today we had a nice game, and some interesting questions came up:
    1 - ancient steg with EOTG, priest and crew hit by catapult (stone thrower) - the hole in the middle of the template was on the steg. does it mean, that all the crew, the priest and the steg itself got hit? or do I need to randomize?
    2 - night gobbo fanatics within 6" of steg at the start of their turn - do they test for terror or not? (would make sens for them no to, as they are high on mushrooms and swirling round those balls on chains) but in their rulebook, it doesn't say they are immune to psychology.

and at last - not a question, just an annoyance I need to share: goblin shaman hidden in the middle of a forest behind enemy lines and casting Foot of Gork all the time (doping himself with mushrooms) :jawdrop:

thx for any useful ideas...

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

1. I would say that you have to randomize because the rule book states that I believe. Check on the stegadon page (I don't have it handy).

2. If they are not listed as immune, then they would take the test. Look at it like a big scary monster bad trip (from the shrooms).

The shaman-->Terradon him, chameleon skink him, or blood statuette him.

3. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

thx for reply.
    1- already lookad at that on the steg page before - it just says missile hits or impact hits are randomized. as the catapult is a template, I am puzzled about this one.
    2- makes sense. the next question here is, how would they determine their flee move (as their standard move is a 2D6). I assume their flee distance would be 2D6 as well.

the shaman - yes, terradon rocks should help, but didn't have any terradons. it is not so easy with the skinks - there was no place to deploy for them anyway near the forest. on top, they would have to move inside to within 2" (is that the visible range inside a forest?) and then shoot. statuette is a good idea.

4. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Check page 61 of the BRB, third paragraph from the top under the section Shooting at Monstrous Mounts. It is randomized if not a template, if it is a template; all the riders and the mount are hit. Templates are very dangerous to stegs...

6. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

well, it cannot be entirely covered by the template, so it's not THAT bad...

i thought the way cannons worked would apply here too, but guess not.

makes those new skaven things a lot more nasty i suppose too!

7. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

thx guys

8. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

just 1 more comment - it seems, that if the hole in the template is on the base, it is a hit. the model doesn't have to be fully covered by the template. bad news for the lizard and the riders :(

9. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Remember when your friend is foot of gorking you from the protective shelter of the woods keep in mind that your skinks and slann can target units from one side the board to the other (because of lack of range restrictions). Also the Lore of Life has many spells that do not have any need for line of sight or ranges (besides having to be close to rock/wood/water terrain). Don't also forget the Conflagration of Doom, anywhere on the board.

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Unfortunately, the life spells and Conflag all require line of sight. The only damage spells that don't require line of sight are Burning Head (18"), Wall of Fire (24"), Crown of Taidron (12" radial), Cleansing Flare (12" radial), Steal Soul (12"), Drain Life (12" radial), and the best of all, Comet of Cassandora which can strike anywhere on the map!

11. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

the problem is all that spells except the comet can not be cast by a skink priest. to get the comet out, he needs to be lucky to get during spell selection and then a 2nd time to cast it with 3 dice (an not being dispelled). a slann can be taken from 2K points above, so not a solution for this situation.
    the only viable solution to the shaman in the wood really seems to be terradons dropping rocks on him, landing within 2" from him in the wood, shooting him, if he survives the rocks and then chasing him next turn, if he survives the shooting. (if he is not stupid, he will move out of sight, so that you can't see and thus charge him on the next turn)

12. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

With a terradon unit though, you can just keep 1" coherency right? They don't need to end up base to base?

If that's the case, then you can spread out your terradons a bit on landing and depending on the size of the forest almost force him outside of it?