7th Ed. Stegadon Armour Save in Close Combat

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by pootleberry, Dec 20, 2009.

1. pootleberry
    Jungle Swarm

pootleberry New Member

This rules query came up yesterday and we couldn't agree. It's difficult for me to be objective, as obviously I want the Lizardmen to win, and the reverse goes for my opponent.

The Stegadon armour save... Does this armour save count within close combat? My friend said that because it was included in the rules immediately beneath the missile section and above the close combat section that it only counts against shooting; I felt this paragraph was a linking paragraph as there are no titles separating the paragraphs. He said that a character would not get the save if mounted on a chariot but I argued that it isn't a chariot. Also, reading in the 'Monstrous Mounts' section it states that the character and the monstrous mount are counted as being one model and function like cavalry, albeit with some differences. My opponent said it didn't really make sense but there are plenty of rules which don't make complete sense.

Simply put, do my Skinks and any attached characters gain the benefit of the armour save in close combat? I think they do because the rule is in its own paragraph and does not make mention of any qualification to the rule.

Does anyone know of an official ruling on this?

If they do not get the armour save then I need to be extremely careful in close combat or I could quite easily gift my opponent 5 combat resolution because my skinks are T2 with no armour save worth noting and they can be specifically targetted in close combat.

Many thanks for any and all help.

2. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

the specific wording in the army book is:
    stegadon scaly skin (X+) wich applyes to both ranged and meele
    the vrew have an armor save of X+ etc. there is no mention that it only applyes vs ranged / close combat attacks, thus teh stegadon and the skinks have their respectives saves at all times modified as per other rules (if any)

3. Gripper
    Skink

Gripper New Member

They definetly get their armour from the steg, at least that is how i would read it.

4. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Yes.

This is one of the more annoying attempts at someone trying to bend the rules to suit themselves. The Paragraph in question clearly states that an 'armor save' is granted. Not an 'armor save' against missiles or an 'armor save against melee only'. They get an 'armor save' which in the rule book is applied to ranged and melee attempts to save wounds alike.

5. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

mmmmm, I hates it when petty players try to nerf special rules they don't like... it creates a bad feeling between you and your opponent and takes the fun out of the game...

As has been said previously, the armor save from the Steg works against everything a normal armor save (from, say, armor ;) ) would work against.

6. Ximinipot
    Jungle Swarm

Ximinipot New Member

Remember though that the Stegadon's Scaly Skin armour save of 4+ (3+ Ancient Stegadon) can be modified by strength. The same goes for the Howdah save of 3+(2+ Ancient Stegadon). But yes, you would get them for both melee and ranged attacks.

7. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

It is important to note that the skinks in the howda get a seperate save than the stegadon. So the skinks' armour is actually not just from the stegadon. Example: A. Steg has an X+ armour, the howda provides the riders with an X+ armour save (which is better than the A. Steg's).

8. captainrex15
    Skink

captainrex15 New Member

it reads (3+) mount olny (4+) mount only