7th Ed. Stegadon Questions...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by giant stegadon, Mar 13, 2010.

1. giant stegadon
    Saurus

giant stegadon New Member

Hey guys,

I've tried searching the forums for my questions, but I haven't seen anything.

I played with a Steg for the first time, a few questions came up (both me & my friend are new to the game so we don't have experience helping).

1. The LM book notes the Steg is a "large" unit, & thus able to shoot over other units. Does this mean that enemy units can also target my poor Steg? I can't find anything in the BRB about this, but the only reasonable conclusion is enemies could target the Steg whether or not a unit is in front of it.

2. How exactly do the Impact Hits work? I take it you would do these on a successful charge. Is the D6+1 impact hits additionally attacks to the Stegadon's 4 attacks? So 4 attacks + D6+1 attacks? I can't find anything about this in the BRB either.

3. One last one, it seems the blow pipes or giant bow could be fired during a charge/in CC?

Thanks!

2. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

1. yes. large targets can see over and be seen over smaller things. tbh not a major issue.

2. kind of, impact hits are AUTO hits, so no need to roll to hit, and yes they are additional to his normal attacks. make sure he gets the charge! and yes, ofc its only on a succesful charge. i would imagine the rules for this are under the chariot section.

3. definetley not. afaik there arent ANY shooting weapons that can be used in CC.

im sure i can dig out some page numbers if needed :)

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

the only "shooting weapon" that cna be fired in CC is the banshees howl from the VC army book. to a lesser exent also the poison wind globes of the skaven poison wind globardiers can be throw into any CC.
    the other exception to this rule are the skavenslaves wich can be fired at in CC.
    last but not least, template weapons that accidentaly land in CC (they can't be targeted so) can also hurt models in CC from afar, but thats an exception, not a rule

4. giant stegadon
    Saurus

thanks guys, i was looking for it everywhere else. It never occured to me to check the chariot section.

5. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

The stegadon is essentially a LM chariot. It has a smilar base size, has riders, does impact hits and can carry characters. Stegadons don't generally use chariot rules, but terms like impact hits can be found in the chariot section of the rule book.

6. giant stegadon
    Saurus

Just to be sure & clarify- the Impact Hits also count when the Steg is fleeing & runs into foe/friendly units?

Additionally, I keep looking for the points to put an EotG on the Steg, unless I keep missing it, do you just trade out the howdah weapons for equal points?

7. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Good question on impact hits when fleeing. The rules are in the Chariot section, and since the Steg is not a chariot, I would lean towards no. But thinking logically (I know that's always dangerous), it should do impact hits any time that a chariot would.

As for the EotG cost, its listed under the Skink Priest. Remember that the EotG is only selected as a mount for a Priest; it is not a stand alone unit (at least not until the priest is killed).

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the rules of the steg never mention chariot at all, the only similarity is crew and impact hits. It is treated as a monster without a character or a monstrous mount with a character, and since neither of them cause impact hits I'm going to have to go with no. Sure logically, the steg trampling through a unit will damage it, but you can say that about any monster from giants to carnosaurs and hell even cavalry but none of them do damage.

9. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I could be wrong but I believe the BRB says that any time a unit which causes impact hits will do so any time it makes contact with an enemy unit. I don't believe it will cause impact hits on a friendly unit however since it realizes it's friendlies and will thus tred lightly.

10. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Hell no!
    Dwarven Brace of pistols! Shooting )2 pistols, and close combat, then they count as 2 handweapons.
    I just had to hammer down the dwarven law on that one. The dwarf in me (that's the drinking part) said it to me.

The Hunted

11. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Skaven also have a unit that allows the backrow to fire even when the frontrow is in combat... I believe.

12. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

Nope, the only rule they have that is even remotley close to that is they can fire into close combat if that combat involves Slaves, but there is nothing that can shoot the same turn they charge except the Banshee (who can also shoot into combat).

13. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

actually, there is.
    poison wind globardiers can fire into any combat aswell as their own. the models in base to base with the enemy fight as normal, while the other models are allowed to fire into their own combat and randomise hits

14. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Silly Skaven, Trix are for people!

15. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Yeah that's the unit I was referring to.

16. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

Ah, I misunderstood, thought you meant it was an army-wide rules, not a specific unit. Thats what I get for skimming posts >.<