8th Ed. stegg

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by mitros, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mitros
    Skink

mitros Member

so i had this idea to field 3 steggs ancient ones just for the fun of it. and i read that each has 2 giant blowpipes? and each does 2d6 poisoned shots? so each stegg does 4d6? or am i reading something wrong here

2. Wistrel
    Saurus

Wistrel New Member

No thats right, each steg fires 4d6 shots, I once rolled four 6's against a dwarf opponent, the look on his face! :jawdrop:

3. mitros
    Skink

mitros Member

well thats good to know for me( i tend to be really lucky with poison) i assume i get -1 to hit for rmovement and multiple and range right?

4. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

No penalty for multiple shots iirc. But move yes, range I dunno. Likely. So move and shoot at something within 12" but out of 6" is -2. Can't march and fire either, I believe.

5. mitros
    Skink

mitros Member

cool thx!

6. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The giant blowpipes suffer all normal penalties for shooting except for multiple shots since they do not have that rule. Accordingly, if they move and shoot, they hit on 5's up to 6" away and on 6's (which is what it is really all about anyhow!!) at long range (out to 12"). Obviously, this would be adjusted if the unit being shot at was in cover or had some other modifier (skirmish, spell, etc.). Since steggie can move 6", this gives them an effective range of 18". I just started using an ancient steggie again with the blowpipes and they are quite amazing. In addition, the giant blowpipes get a stand and shoot reaction and there are 3 additional javelin shots if none of the crew have been killed. This essentially means the ancient steg actually gets 4d6+3 shots for an impressive average of 17 shots!!

7. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

4D6 is a big number.

I need to get my second steg up and running.

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

4d6 is a pretty big number it may seem, but you will usually hit on 5s or 6s. 10 blowpipe skinks will shoot 20 shots a turn, usually hitting on 6s. we all know by now that 20 skink shots rarely cripple a unit (well, it will cripple chaff units, but does very little against actual combat units)

although the blowpipes are a nice little bonus, you should NOT bring an ancient stegadon to have it run around shooting. most of the time you wont even get to shoot since you have either marched or charged (or are fighting). do not buy a 265pts rare monster and have it do the same job as a 70pts core unit. have it stomp things instead ;)

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

... damn your sensibility!

10. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

I find it great vs fast units keeping out of his charge arc. At least he can pick off some!

11. mitros
    Skink

mitros Member

shooting is just bonus !!! when i will field 3 stegs and 3 untis of 30 saurus and a slann life but watned to make sure it workd like that! thx for all the replies!