1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds 2021 Catch Up Blog!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

With my original Troglodon now having a proper base, I believe it is time to move onto the next project(s)!

Admittedly, these next few projects will all likely be finishing up projects before moving into fresh ones, lots of fresh ones to come though!

The next Projects are my Spirit of the Mountain for my Lumineth and my custom Stegadon:) Both of them have been long standing projects (the Stegadon being older) and it's time to finish em!

The Spirit of the Mountain is probably 3/4 the way done with most major things done ( I think), mainly finishing up certain areas (shoulders, knees, head, etc) and then the last major thing: the Base. The base I am likely to do like my Avalenor (seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGG9T46nN42/?igshid=1a995yrrdrmm8), making her seem like a mountain sized entity.

The Stegadon is in the same boat basically, nearly finished just a few last things that include howdah finishes, skinks need final touches, along with other miscellaneous odds and ends. The major part for this will also be the base. Not sure on the base for this one yet, likely to tie into my Troglodon base though.

Hope you all enjoy seeing the transformation of these two models, stay tuned!
    20210124_163713.jpg 20210124_163806.jpg 20210124_163845.jpg 20210124_163957.jpg 20210124_164028.jpg

2. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Looks great Suds, excellent work! :)
    You gotta paint that base rim though haha

3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ha, yeah I do. Not something for me to worry about atm though, as Im the only one that seems em lol but yes, i do indeed. Basically debating brown vs black... probably go black though.

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yeeey, finished projects feel so good ;)
    Both basing Ideas will do the respective models justice (for Seraphon I would stay with the new Togolodon base for all models :angelic:)

Fun to see those on your painting table.
    Keep up the good work.

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I have gotten some work done on my two current projects, and due to some lack of inspiration (and me just being me), I started a side project: A GW Stegadon! lol

The back of my Spirit of the Mountain is giving me some problems, just due to the color scheme I chose, and because the back is rather bare and open. Choosing yellow may not have been the best idea, but hey, we'll work with it. Aside from that, I did get some good work done on her trees which are a mix of bonsai, cherry blossom, and birch, I think it looks really good with the green! Did a few other minor touch-ups to the tassels, and fiddled with the shoulder tips, which still I still don't know how to handle, they seem too bright. I've thought of nuln oil, but perhaps a different approach is needed, we will see, I have a few ideas.

For my custom Stegadon, I began work on her skinks, as most of the work on the Stegadon itself is pretty much done. I started with adding some color to their spears, wood, stone, and gold; I may redo their feathers at some point. after that I went to add some color to the shields, I had done a basic dry brush awhile back, but wanted to bring it out a bit more. I took the very dark yellow contrast (totally blanking on the name) and outlines the shield, while for the inner portion I did a light coat of Retribution Gold with a shading of Casandora Yellow. For the skinks themselves, I added a few markings on their frills, giving them a bit more distinction and character. I've begun to plan the base in my head, thinking of a mostly resin base with the Steg have waded into a swamp, possibly the same one my Troglodon base shows (I do like to connect stuff!)

Now, I know, I started with two projects and one has been added....This however was an inspirational project! i was going through old WIP pictures and stumbled upon my Orange Troglodon. In the picture the Troglodon still hadn't been washed yet where the lighter yellow is, at this point, it was still white; I had real trouble dyeing the white lol. So, after seeing the picture and remembering I always wanted to try the scheme but with the white staying white...here I am lol It is always helping me to stop just constantly thinking about the SoTm and how to fix the dilemma I'm in... it's nice to have the brain not always problem-solving. So far the colors I have used are The Fang, Jakaero (sp?) Orange, and Corax white as base colors, I then dry brushed Dragon Bright Orange onto the orange base, Russ Grey onto The Fang, and very lightly used White Scar to highlight parts of the white. Once that was dry I moved onto very light washes of Space Wolves grey on the blue/grey parts, Fuegan Orange on the Orange, and Apothocary white on the white. So far I think it is coming along, but any C&C is welcome! Need to work on blending the colors a bit I think :)

Aside from that...I have a few things coming for my Hathorian blog (you can check it out here: The Hathorians: An Unofficial AOS Race | Lustria Online (lustria-online.com) ) that I think will be pretty cool :)

I hope you all are doing well! Feel free to leave any thoughts you have, love feedback!
    20210126_222708.jpg 20210126_223025.jpg 20210128_021025.jpg 20210128_021046.jpg 20210128_021107.jpg 20210128_021126.jpg 20210125_123219.jpg 20210125_123144.jpg 20210125_130618.jpg

6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Got some work done on the GW Stegadon tonight, primarily highlighting and horn work.

I'm not sure how much you can actually see in the pictures (due to my lightbox), but I have gone around highlighting around the white with Lugganath Orange to give the white a slight border. I also went around on the underbelly and highlighting in Ferisian Grey, to which I then did a gentle wash of Space Wolves Grey Contrast with a plan to highlight in Fersian again.

For the horns, I am going for an ashy look, basing in black with a corax white tip, washed in Apothecary White thus far (though limited to the head atm)

Pretty happy with my progress so far, jas a real "threat display" radiating about it.

Would love your thoughts this far!

Hope you all are doing well
    20210128_233942.jpg 20210129_004353.jpg 20210129_004519.jpg 20210128_233540.jpg 20210128_233603.jpg 20210128_233637.jpg 20210128_233659.jpg 20210128_233748.jpg 20210128_233810.jpg 20210128_233834.jpg

7. Imrahil
    Slann

I like these colors very much, the Grey-Blue matches nice with the Orange.

What I noticed, though, the tip of the tail seems pretty pale.
    Is that intentional or is that part a step behind?

I love to see how you do the ropes and bling ;)
    (somehow I think Silver fits these colors better than Gold)

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard and Sudsinabucket like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank man! Really proud of her/him so far (haven't decided on a name yet... yes, i name my monsters....), the colors are definitely taking shape more and more, horns are definitely a nice surprise (that they turned out how I wanted them so far).

As for the tail, it was originally intentional, sort of match the head a bit (munus the orange obviously), but now I'm wondering if I need to add some more orange to it or not

Silver is definitely what I was thinking, as followers of the Moon ;) of Metzlitlaco!

Ropes... i was thinking green like vines, but we'll see...

Thanks again!

9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

So, a pretty big post, something I'm really excited to share...

Engine of Tepok/Metzlitlaco (undecided if I'll go a homebrew name route or an official name route, probably official)

I have had the original Warhammer coatl sitting next to my bed for about 6 months now, no real idea what to do with it, originally I was thinking of doing an endless spell with it. However, I believe this will be a far better use of it, not only will it actually get to be seen on the table, it will also give my Engine of the Gods a unique look. I still want to add some stuff to the howdah itself, but trying to decide what without making it look too busy

I'm really excited to see this come together, might even magnetize a Slann for it :)

The Stegadon itself is close to done, just a few more details and such to do :) Decided to go with a Silver metal to represent the moon (homebrew reasons) instead of the traditional gold metal.

I hope you all enjoy the direction this is headed, let me know your true thoughts down below! I would love to hear some feedback :) Hoping to have more pictures of this and other projects soon!

20210130_011045.jpg 20210130_011009.jpg 20210130_010932.jpg 20210130_010900.jpg 20210130_010819.jpg 20210130_010745.jpg 20210130_010639.jpg 20210130_010603.jpg 20210130_010501.jpg

10. Imrahil
    Slann

He/she looks fabulous! :kiss:

The use of the Coatl is great. Amazing custom model. The Silver works great with the colorscheme.

What are your plans for painting the Coatl?
    Vibrant multicolored or statue?

A Slann on it would suit well.

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Small update on the Engine of Tepok!

I primed the howdah about three days ago, finally getting the courage to start, I have begun doing base coats.

For the wood elements, I have gone with my redwood recipe, which i will darken a tad before adding highlights; I really love the look of redwood and Birch (common woods used in my models).

For the Coatl I have decided on a jade feel, hoping to achieve an aged jade look, I hope to do the same for the black parts of the howdah also, or possibly a purple quartz look. The arches of the Engine itself im opting for a more neutral color, going for a stone look.

All fairly early WIP, though I do think the statue of Tepok is looking pretty good! I know Tepoks color is Purple, but I i really love jade.

Thoughts are always welcome, more progress to come!
    20210204_113542.jpg 20210204_122817.jpg 20210204_140513.jpg 20210204_140620.jpg 20210204_140555.jpg

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Very nice, Redwood makes a great match with the Stegadons colors. What is your recipe?
    At first thought that the Jade needed a gloss varnish, but then read you are going for old jade, so well done there ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Yeah, I absolutely love redwood lol been working on my recipe, I think its almost there.

The recipe I have is primed chaos black, undercoat wash Reikland Fleshshade, then on wet palette mix roughly mournfang brown (60%), Mephiston Red (20%), Wild Rider Red (20%). After touch ups I plan to shade with Reikland Fleshshade again and edge highlight with wild rider red again, but not all the way to the corner. May play with edge highlight color, depending.

The inner black sections are going to be purple quartz

Slowly coming together :)

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  14. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice, like to see that redwood come together.
    The Quartz platform I saw on Discord, it looks stunning :artist::artist::artist:

Grrr, Imrahil

15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ha, I guess you do see a few things early now ;) Thank you! Im doing my best to not accidentally touch it lol Im really really excited about it, it is feeling more like an Engine of Tepok with the purple quartz in there.

I'm going to end here tonight, got the base color for the cloth in the howdah. In the end, at least in my head, the cloth is Rekarth Flesh, Highlighted with Zandari Dust, washed with Seraphim Sepia... still the last two to do obviously.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the direction of my EOTG and am excited to see it done:)
    20210205_025727.jpg

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Marvelous!!!

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Big spender :pompus:

awesome models on their own, curious to see how you will fit them together ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

It was a pretty penny, but, creativity is often expensive, even if not by monetary means :)

They are, they really are, it's going to be a lot of fun once I get to em; Stegadons first lol

I have begun looking at the kits however, and I am slowly seeing how I may piece together a few things! So that's exciting... Definitely gonna need more greenstuff / miliput

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

This Engine of Tepok is such a fun project, I'm really having fun with it :)

3am here.... my eyes atm dont have the strength for a longer post, but made some progress

Hope everyone's day is great!
    20210206_221101.jpg 20210206_221139.jpg 20210206_222038.jpg 20210206_222108.jpg 20210206_222055.jpg