1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds 2021 Catch Up Blog!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

It is quite the base! I think you mixed the pictures around (on discord it was correct ;) )

Of the two I like the one with the little more erected emblem, but may I suggest a third option in which the emblem has fallen up side down?
    I love that you incorporate City of Sigmar Elven bits in it.

On another note: Is it possible to put all the pieces of ruin together to form a more complete temple/building?
    If not, it looks like these parts would make for awesome scatter terrain ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! That means a lot, really :) I think it'll turn out pretty well, I'm nervous about Celennar lol still debating his color scheme, possibly my Lunar scheme but with more purple and a deeper blue-grey...we'll see.

You have no idea how long i just stand infront of my projects.... just staring lol the problem with having a photogenic or whatever mind is that i literally just sit there imagining different colors, positioning, parts... lol a gift and a curse as they say

Hope you're well!

3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! It is a big cake base lol

So! I ended up going with a hybrid of the two, sort of erect but slanted back a tad, I think it looks good! Ill snag a picture tomorrow, been battling a headache all day.

I think the phoenix emblem and fallen banner are cool for a few reasons:

1. The Phoenix is a Nod to the old High Elves
    2. The emblem and the banner crossing is essentially a nod to a long history, a where they've been to where they are now, if you will
    3. It is rumored the Sun Spirit is a Phoenix, I like to think this is a cool nod to that, or maybe this temple was a temple to the Sun Spirit itself?

Just a lot of cool symbolism in the combo of the two that I thought was fun to play with + immersive scenarios that they could present.

I think you maybe could make a mire formed building, but itd be some work and honestly I'm not sure. Scatter terrain would be a better bet 100%

4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Started working on 2 of the 3 Skystreak bows last night (the third isn't fully built yet), just the two base colors. Going with a gold base for what I believe many usually do as stone, and with the bow itself being made of wood I hope it to fit nicely with the platforms. I think it'll really stand out once I color in some of the symbols, effectively leaving a mostly gold trim behind; I still need to cut the bolts themselves from the spure however.

May also see some WIP work of another project soon, haven't decided which... but likely some skinks or a Slann for my Engine of Tepok, which I'm writing a story around:eek::rolleyes::writing::muted:
    20210408_233244.jpg IMG_20210408_134236_676.jpg

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

May or may not have begun to sculpt something.... 20210410_021413.jpg

6. Imrahil
    Slann

That is looking very promising!!
    The body of a Stegadon is an excellent starting point for a lot of Dinosaur.

Keep up the good work.

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! And yes, it really does!

8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ok, you all probably guessed it, but im sculpting my own Thunder Lizard, which species wise Im gonna rename for lore purposes.

Neck is coming out ok I think! 20210410_104041.jpg

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice!!! Love the head and bits on the neck. Though the neck is quite saggy at the moment.

Grrr, Imrahil

10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you!

I think its just the angle of that photo, maybe?
    20210410_115450.jpg

Inspiration art for the sculpt, with tweaks obviously:
    i1_AmpelosaurusDB_s.jpg ampelosaurus_1_by_phillustr8r-d6g6i6w_63bf-1.jpg

Species is Ampelosaurus

11. Imrahil
    Slann

Aha, right. I was thought it would be more straight up ;)

It looks spot on!!

Grrr, Imrahil

12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

With Kitbashing being a big part of my hobby life, i really have wanted to up my sculpting game, here's my first real attempt so far

As most of you know, Im designing a huge Thunder Lizard that'll act as both a custom model & a Dread Saurian for more causual/fun games. Ive for a long time have wanted the Seraphon to have a sauropod unit, so this is my solution.

I love my original Thunder Lizard, but being not full GW bits, wouldn't ever be able to use her in either a tournament or at the GW store, so here's my solution for that dilemma

Planning to magnetize her so she can switch between an 120mm oval for a Stegadon set up, and then a 170mm oval for a more custom feel.

Real stoked shes standing on her own IMG_20210410_193237_439.jpg

13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Couldn't sleep, so kept going!

The legs weren't easy, but they weren't as hard as I anticipated either! Once i marked the metal rod where to put the Stegadon leg bits it qas fairly smooth sailing, unless i got the milliput too wet. I let the initial leg putty cure for about an hour (to gain strength to stand on its own without fear of major damage) and then begun adding the rest to fill in the leg.

And bits, oh glorious bits! I didn't want to over do it, but being such a large creature it would definitely need some ornaments. I added two banners to her tail (milliput rope/vine connected), a tail ring with dangling skull, and a decorated carno crest (my last!) to finish the look with a horn on the nose.

I may still add some bits, but wanted to take a step back and let my eyes and mind take a break :)

Still thinking of a name for the Thunder Lizard & a Sub species name! Because clearly this and Tlanextic aren't the same species ;)
    20210411_033846.jpg 20210411_044433.jpg 20210411_045351.jpg

14. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

Nice! Kitbashing is probably my favorite part of building models, most of the time it's a huge chore to cut all of the plastic parts out and then painstakingly glue them together before you can begin to paint.

Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Kitbashing is absolutely one, if not my favorite part of the hobby aside from homebrew lore writing. Such fun to come up with new creations entirely or just small tweaks. Can be a pain for sure, but that's why I'm really attempting to get better at sculpting, another fun branch of the hobby

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Also, for the hand sculpted Sauropod also known as a Unirontosaurian check out my new offshoot blog here:

https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/hand-sculpting-a-sauropod.25701/

Started for just the Unirontosaurian I will be changing it to a permanent offshoot blog specifically to highlight my journey into hand sculpting. I will however post all finished painted hand sculpted models here with a description of them :)

I have an idea for my next sculpted Dino

17. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

Nice! It will certainly be interesting to see what you come up with. The current kitbash I'm working on is a skink oracle/jungle swarm mash that I'm going to be using for a homebrew skink lord dedicated to my custom LM Lore of Magic

Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  18. EFHILT 167
    Skink

EFHILT 167 Member

I like that you used a modern position for the neck (horizontal vs vertical) and although it looks like it has a flap of fat on the neck, it looks great gives a feel in how heavy the creature is. In fact, adding fat to dinosaurs is called anti shrink wrapping (versus shrink wrapping- pulling skin tightly over the bones) and is common amongst paleoartists.

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

That sounds like a fun kitbash! I had a kitbash of a custom hero i never started (still will at some point) of a Skink who rides a Kroxigor lol

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Yeah, I find it interesting they are now saying most Sauropods likely held their heads lower to the ground and were more like vacuums on lower ground plants. Certain species are known to be different, like the Brachiosaurus and other "Giraffe-opods" whoa bone structure supported the neck upright. Other wise it'd likely take too much energy for it to be highly beneficial in most situations, not to mention bloodflow issues va gravity. Of course without similar animals to study it's impossible to really know, maybe they had natural mechanisms to counter these issues. It is however very nice to have scientific research support my sculpt indeed!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/did-sauropods-hold-their-heads-high-42583501/