1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Summer 2020 Poetry Contest (entries closed)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The Summer Solstice is upon us, Praise be to Chotec!

My intention was to start the contest a few weeks ago, but we'll keep going with having two Poetry contests per year roughly coinciding with the Solstices.

This means there is going to be a lot of overlap with the next short story contest. I think we have enough creativity and enthusiasm for two contests, so this should not be a problem. If the overlap becomes a problem, I will make adjustments in future contests.

The Theme
    There is none. Choose whatever theme you like so long as it is related to Lizardmen, Seraphon, Salamanders or Saurian Ancients.

The Rules
    There are none. (Apart from the following)(So in actual fact there are some rules, I lied to you, I am sorry)

-Keep your poem to an artistic minimum. Word count wont be stressed about too much in here, but ideally the poem should be more than two lines.
    -Keep it anonymous. Don't use your own name in the poem or use someone else's name throw them off the scent
    -Keep Lizardmen in the story or some aspect of their world / lore.
    -Keep visuals and images to a minimum or none at all this is a poetry competition.
    -Keep em coming, you may enter as many times as you wish.
    -Multiple entries are allowed from the same person!

The winner will be decided by public vote at the end of the deadline - August 7th 2020, midnight US Central Time. Please send a private message to me, @Scalenex to send a submission. Probably have votging open for two weeks.

I aim to do these twice a year. Next one will likely be around the Winter Solstice in honor of Huanchi.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Oh boy, Oh boy.

My favorite Contest :)
    I'll see what I can come up with

Grrr, Imrahil

3. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

Yee yee!

(Bit of an insight no one asked for:
    Due to this little virus that's been going 'round, the Queensland education department thought it would be best to remove one of our four yearly assessments per subject (this was just for the grade 12s and becasue we all missed two months of school). With this, in my ENglish class we lost our creative writing task, which is essentially a short story, so my only creative writing outlet this year will be the short story and poetry comps on LO. Given that I've been doing a bit more song writing recently, hopefully I'll be able to get a few good entries in...)

the best of luck to everyone and might I encourage those that may have not entered before or may be considering this but aren't sure, this competition is a really great way to kick of creative writing! You don't necesarily have to think up a big plot or follow a specific arc, it's just a chance for you to create images with words and give an artistic insight to this Jungle we all know! If you're looking for inspiration, then check out the plethora of art threads and modeling threads and just see what words come to mind.

Good luck to you all and stay safe :)

4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Roses are red
    Saurus are blue
    the great plan is coming to a town near you!

5. Imrahil
    Slann

I like the minimalistic style.

This Contest works the same as the Short story-contest, where you sent your entries to Scalanex and he'll post them at the end of Juli for all of is to vote on ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

6. Scalenex
    Slann

I have TWO poems so far. Two poems is the necessary number of poems to have a contest. Victory achieved!

Don't stop writing poems you guys...

7. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

I just had a serious flashback to one of our family camping trips when there was a poetry comp on and it was just hours of coming up with panda related haikus for @Scolenex

I can't decide if they were hours well spent or wasted...

(If I could suffer through that, then the rest of you can write a poem! I'm waiting for Scalenex to write a poem, but I think I can predict what it will vaguely be about. Something along the lines of:

Black
    Everything is black
    Like death
    Also some red
    But that's the blood
    Which means death
    Black
    so yeah)

8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

alright i should get to work on my entry

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I’m pretty sure 21st June is the Summer Solstice, which has now passed this year... o_O

And I’m going to have a go at this one, because I’m interested in developing my poetry skills as well as those of my prose.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  10. Scalenex
    Slann

I started the contest on the Summer Solstice. I made some typos because I copied and pasted the rules from the winter contest which ended with the Solstice.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That’s fine, makes sense, that’s where the Summer Solstice comes into it then.

Also you might have noticed something pop up in your inbox ;)

12. Scalenex
    Slann

I was concerned that running two concurrent contests would dilute the entries for both but that is not happening.

[​IMG]

13. Scalenex
    Slann

I am going camping on the 23rd through 26th and I'm planning to unplug completely. The contest deadline is still the 31st. But this does mean it's unlikely that posts I get after the 23rd will be able to get a thorough editing and critique by me.

You are allowed and encouraged to turn to others for help but if you do help someone, don't spill the beans on the author identities when the contest is underway.

If I can see my inbox full of stories and poems when I get back that will put a big ol' smile on my face.

Poem entries have slowed down a bit since I posted my baby Yoda. I have four so far.

14. Imrahil
    Slann

2 days left girls and guys!
    To have a poem or ten would be nice.

Grrr, Imrahil

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  15. Scalenex
    Slann

I have extended the deadline for the poetry contest to August 7th. The Short Story Contest deadline remains unchanged.

Mostly this is because I am less of a night owl than I used to be, so I do not want to stay up past midnight editing two voting threads on the same night cause I know I'll make a mistake. But also, because out of habit, most of our veteran writers are buckling down for last minute short story writing and have put the poetry contest on the back burner.

There are not as many poems as I would like, so I'm giving the poets extra time.

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Good call! This will make for jewels of poems ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Scalenex
    Slann

[​IMG]
    We need to get to double digits. The Number of the Day videos get cooler in that range.

18. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

So the contest will end as it starts :confused:

Imrahil likes this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

You just have to rub every mistype in my face...There will obviously be at least a few weeks of voting.

Paradoxical Pacifism and Imrahil like this.
  20. Scalenex
    Slann

For those prolific poets who sent me multiple poems, you may find some of your poems sent back to you as a conversation. There is nothing wrong with your poems, I did not edit or change anything.

The reason I'm doing this is it's easier for me to keep track of if every poem is a separate message.

Note the next time I will add the rule that multiple submissions should be sent via multiple private messages.