1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog T-Pizzle's Lizzies and other projects

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T-Pizzle, Jun 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. T-Pizzle
    Jungle Swarm

T-Pizzle New Member

Back when I was younger I was fascinated with the Lizardmen army range and got a few sets for Christmas. I recently found that I wanted to take the plunge into the miniature world, and I stripped the saurus warriors and stegadon that I had and repainted them.

160bcbde-4788-4257-b7e4-56573abbe132 (1).jpg

Decided on green because its simply the best color. The red shields I feel really make the unit "pop," and I'm pretty obsessed with brass colored weapons and obsidian blades. I also decided to experiment with some of the shoulder blades in the kit and make an oldblood.

IEzFcSH.jpg

I made him albino and gave him a purple shield because I thought it would be cool. I don't know how I feel about him though, I may strip and just apply the same color scheme to a proper oldblood model. I also messed up with the white, and applied a basecoat of screaming skull rather than using a gray, but I'm just starting out so I don't feel too bad about it.

Next up is the stegadon, which I'm pretty proud of.

31d9f516-e99f-48c0-9306-1c6df023d536.jpg

I bought a slann to mount him to make a leader of the army, (and because I had lost every single skink that came with the model), and plan to magnetize him to the mount as I would like to have some other options. The painting took forever, but I had a great time actually painting the model. I was expecting it to be a chore and was originally pretty intimidated by the model, but running into problems and coming up with solutions to them was actually a very enjoyable process.
    I also tried out actually basing the model for the first time as well. I had some basic dirt type material and flock from some model train shop along with some aquarium rocks. I want to eventually add some tufts to the model.

After painting everything, I'm pretty sure I found a solid hobby. Right now I'm trying to learn how exactly highlighting works, as I struggle with pinpointing where to actually apply them. That and basing are my two main focuses of improvement right now. Any criticism is welcome of course, and I would like to hear some opinions on how the army seems to be looking (color-wise).

Warden and tom ndege like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The models look really good and the colours go well, bases are a major part of the model and should never be ignored.

Keep practicing and you will soon develop the skill to highlight

T-Pizzle likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Well done.
    And yeah even simple bases are far better than bases not painted at all.

T-Pizzle likes this.
  4. T-Pizzle
    Jungle Swarm

T-Pizzle New Member

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'm definitely going to be basing the rest of the models, and I'm determined to figure out highlighting this week.

5. Lezlor
    Cold One

Lezlor Active Member

it is really cool. Thumbs up from me, I think I might try that on something.

T-Pizzle likes this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I love the green saurus, I painted my first unit the exact same colors minus the albino!

T-Pizzle likes this.
  7. T-Pizzle
    Jungle Swarm

T-Pizzle New Member

20200116_170533.jpg [​IMG] Found this dino for $2 at Walmart. It had some good scaly textures so I figured that I'd try and convert it.

[​IMG]

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I'm able to see only the first pic.
    It's a nice dino, but what's its size?

9. T-Pizzle
    Jungle Swarm

T-Pizzle New Member

It's 4 inches tall and 8.5 inches from head to tail

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Definitely too big for a Cold Ones conversion.
    Are you aiming to Carnosaur?

11. T-Pizzle
    Jungle Swarm

T-Pizzle New Member

2 dollar Carnosaur! (There's a big line down the side of the model that I forgot to fill, but I'll probably make a saddle to cover it.) 20200117_122747.jpg 20200117_122802.jpg

Aginor and Imrahil like this.
  12. Chef_xenos
    Skink

Chef_xenos Member

I am thinking of doing a albino-ish for tetto'eko,temple guard and old bood by trying a white base then using the oxide technical paint as a wash so it settles in the cracks and gives some definition