1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Targeting a Hero

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Crowsfoot, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

So say I have a unit of temple guard with eternity warden sat behind, opponent has a mage within range facing the unit and he casts arcane bolt, can he target the warden or must it first destroy the unit in front as they are LOS before the warden?

Cheers guys

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Depends on how far apart your guard are. If you stoop down to eye level and can see the new target through a one inch gap, then blast away. I would say if your guards are touching bases, or a millimeter or 3 apart that they provide sufficient cover. But if the gap is big enough to put another model from the unit in, then fair game for targeting

Bainbow and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Ahh so as long as the unit is tight formation they die first,

we have been moving units and leaving the hero out of range of the attack but it just spoils the flow of the game.

4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

We were having issues with this at first. Some said it didn't matter, just target whoever is in range, which was an interesting exercise in new tactics, but ultimately decided on the if you can fit a model of the same size betweem the models in the unit you could see the target. If not you were more likely to hit one of the blocking unit.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Or what I do, a unit is in constant motion (not stationary) so you can't see through a unit only past the sides or overhead of them. And unit coherency need to comply with the 1" range not leaving much room between them anyway

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I'd say that, if you looked from head-height of your caster, you would need to be able to clearly see most of the target hero to shoot at him. That's how I do it. So giant casters such as Archaon or the Glottkin can shoot over TG lines, but normal guys can't.

Of course, remember that this only counts for spells that require line of sight.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Fixed the typo for you and cheers

Bainbow likes this.
  8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I spent five minutes trying to figure out what the typo you were talking about was... then I saw it.

God damn it why ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Ixt and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

It was a beauty.

Bainbow likes this.
  10. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I think I'll need to take a Slayer Oath out of shame ...
    Lizards can grow mohawks, right?

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Why not!

12. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well I did finish my 75 Wound Fyreslayer army today. Don't care if they're not a death cult anymore, time to atone for my shame!

13. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Damnit and now I missed it!

14. TheMalteseMisfit
    Jungle Swarm

TheMalteseMisfit Member

I'd understand it more or less as @StealthKnightSteg explained it. The gap would be between bases since measuring is made from base to base. If you have enough space for say half a base or more to fit in, it could be classed as clear line of sight. However, I'll admit, aiming from the actual head of the caster is a more realistic approach, but it can end up being too subjective.

I suppose you can just sort it out with your opponent at the time and work out what's fair, even if it is war.

15. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

AoS still uses 'true LoS' ("if unsure, stoop down and get a look from behind the attacking model to see if the target is visible"), and doesn't include bases for measurement. For all intents and purposes, the rules require that players measure "between the closest points of the models or units you're measuring to and from."

If the attacker can see a 'point' on the model - any 'point,' though attacking a 'point' feels beardy - it may attack that model.

16. TheMalteseMisfit
    Jungle Swarm

TheMalteseMisfit Member

Hmm... Targeting a single point, no matter the quantity/quality, does feel kind of off, personally. But hey, rules are rules I suppose. But then again, house rules! By true LOS, do they mean the sight of the model (eyes/head) or so long as it can be seen from some part of the model, it counts? Just curious about the specifications of true LOS.

Ixt likes this.
  17. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

I feel ya, man.

The weird thing about AoS is that it seems to take a 'positive rights' approach to rulesets but, unfortunately, it is incredibly un-specific regarding what 'rights' we are given at times. In a way, I like that: for the most part, it allows a very nice, loose-ish sort of game between to friendly folks. At the same time, it creates unnecessary tedium and brief confusion with regards to rulings such as these. If I were playing it, I'd rule it in the ways of olde:

Can't tell whether you have sight?
    1) Stoop down, look behind the model's head. Lower your sight 'til the top of the model's skull or helmet or whatever obscures the model in question.
    2) Can you see a body part of the model (not counting wings, horns, weapons and other aesthetics)? Stuff connected to the torso - can you see that?

If so, it's in LOS then. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

Per the rules, it appears to be 'any point.' It's either 'any point' or no ruling at all. Your call. *shrug* Meh! That's beardy imo. "I can see the tip of the feather on your helmet, sooo.... that counts as 'a point' and I can shoot at it, right?" Weak!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I'm playing like that, a point on the model has to be an actual body part not something the model is wearing/carrying.

Bowser and Ixt like this.
  19. TheMalteseMisfit
    Jungle Swarm

TheMalteseMisfit Member

The Old Ones would never give such vague rules. This generation of Slaan perhaps, but it is the will of the Old Ones that we follow, and I believe your concept is closest to their designs. The will of the Old Ones be done!

Sorry, I'm at work and need to relieve some stress. But yea, the way you explained it makes much more sense, and is quite fair. A skink priest wouldn't have anywhere near the vision that Nagash would.

Ixt likes this.
  20. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

This is what I do with the following point added:
    3) You can't see through a unit that is in coherency as the turmoil of moving models is to confusing to get a clear sight unless you can see over it.

Bainbow and Ixt like this.