8th Ed. Teclis can now choose spells after both armies are deployed?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by SanDiegoSurrealist, Oct 28, 2011.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

So according to the RAW it would seem that Testicles can now choose his lore willy-nilly at the beginning of the battle but before turn 1. So he can now cater his lore per game in a Tourny! That is brutal!

I do not think this is how they intended the rule but the RULE LAWYERS over on Warseer have decided it to be so. So this is a reason I am not a fan or Warseer, but everyone goes running there for answers for some reason.

2. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

The rule for choosing lore of magic says you have to choose when writing the army list, so I would say Teclis cannot do this. However, I do see the point, as Loremaster is an "ability", and the FAQ does not specify Loremaster....

But I would still say he cannot do this.

3. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

I agree but the argument is that in the Elf Army Book it states:

Teclis is a Lvl 4 wizard and may Choose any one of the eight lores of magic or high magic before the game starts. whichever lore he chooses he knows all six spells

and that would over ride the MRB.

I know dumb right?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

lol the new 8 lores have 7 spells each,
    Guess he's stuck with high magic then. :p

5. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

True that N810, especially as Army Books > Rulebook :D.

On a more serious note, that interpretation is just wrong from a gameplay point of view. You are supposed to choose your magic lore when you are writing the army list. Teclis' ability basically allows him to choose a lore of his choice and he is a loremaster. All they have to do to prevent this nonsense is to reword his special rule in a FAQ.

I hope they'd publish army books for everyone faster so there would be less nonsense like this.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

If you go RAW for that, he gets the 6 spells of any lore but cannot have the signature spell.

Interesting interpretation from GW, looks perfectly legal to me. From that FAQ and the wording in the HE army book, he can choose his lore after deployment. Nasty. I suspect it was an oversight on GWs part, but for now there is little you can do to argue against it.

7. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Most places I have been do allow Teclis to choose his lore before each game based on the wording. However, he can be effectively cut down to size with becalming cogitation. The IF on any doubles also requires a successful casting roll so if the casting value isn't reached, the spell doesn't go off. Stealing 6s works wonders against all spells and I have had it end Teclis' magic phase early several times when the casting value wasn't reached!! While I am still looking forward to a new HE book with a toned down Teclis along the lines of the power scroll, he is far from unbeatable.Besides, the rest of the army is just a bunch of sissy elves waiting for a sallie to lay some flame on them!!

8. Chaq Mundi
    Saurus

Chaq Mundi New Member

So from my understanding, this whole debate is because of this FAQ:

Q: Some special rules, magic items etc. have an effect at the
    beginning of the battle, or before the game starts. When should
    these effects take place? (143)

A: After both armies are deployed and any Deployment special
    rules have occurred but before the roll for first turn.

And then you say Teclis has the Loremaster special rule, and because its a special rule (as mentioned in the FAQ), Teclis is able to choose his lore after deployment.

But here's the thing: Teclis doesn't have the Loremaster special rule; nowhere in the HE FAQ does it say to change the wording on that point. And that is actually relevant, because in the Lizardmen FAQ it specifically says to change the Slann's ability to say "Loremaster". So if anyone gets to take advantage of that ruling, its us! Fight RAW with RAW!

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Hmmmm, what about this part of the High elf FAQ?

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

No, that related to army composition. The page from our book we are ignoring is the one that says 2000 points - 0-1 lords, 0-4 characters etc. since the BRB has now moved to the percentage composition.

11. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

There was a large debate (now its locked) here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302948 about this issue.

Personally I feel the side bar on page 134 in the BRB shows that he must follow the rules in the BRB just like everyone else, before the start of the game, his lore must be on the army list.

The sidebar on pg134 says this section takes precedence over army books. It is the section that describes building your army and goes about telling you how to choose lores for wizards. Since is explicitly states it overwrites what is written in older books I am of the opinion he must choose before the game starts.