8th Ed. Telepathic Confabulation and Remains in Play Spells

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Scalenex, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Assuming I have two Slann. Can I have two of the same Remains in Play spells if I cast them sequentially. Lets say I'm taking Life (Slann A) and Death (Slann B).

Turn 1:
    Winds of Magic roll is poor despite Slann B using Forbidden Rod, Slann A casts Throne of Vines and nothing else is cast successfully

Turn 2:
    Winds of Magic spell is great
    Slann A who still has Throne of Vines in play at the start of Turn 2, swaps Throne of Vines with Slann B to pick up Purple Sun and cast it with six dice (yay miscast protection).
    Slann B casts his own Throne of Vines to heal the wound he took from the Forbidden Rod last round and to give himself miscast protection for a battery of hero sniping spells he wants to attempt.

Is that legal?

2. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I would argue that Slann B is fully capable of casting Throne of Vines without impacting the already in play spell cast by Slann A. Slann B is completely seperate from Slann A, regardless of how Slann B obtained the spell.

On the other hand, it could be argued that the spell can only be in play once due to the way spells are generated (no spell may generated by more than one wizard in an army using random generation, except signature spells).

I'd still stick with the first paragraph though. If you fielded Mazdamuni and a regular Life Slann, both could have Throne and have it active simultaneously. The end result isn't any different in your example IMO.

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Wow, I can see that being really useful. Good call Scalenex. I thought the spell swapping rule was kind of silly at first.

Can... Lord Kroak swap his spell? I don't have my book nearby.

4. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Unfortunately no. Lord Kroak does not have the Telepathic Confabulation rule like the living Slann do.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

And it specifically says if it's stolen or transferred, Kroak automatically gets his spell back and the other wizard losing it.

Oh yeah! As my gaming circle gradually moves from 2750 to the low end of grand armies I see myself actually running two Slann armies in the future. Without Lore Mastery I can see a lot of reason for swapping spells.

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Well, with Loremaster you can have the same (non-signature) spell twice in your army and I have never seen any debate whether they both can cast remains in play spells the same time. This is a bit different, as it is, essentially the same spell. Yet another thing that needs a FAQ, but I would say you can cast it, as per rychek's first argument.