7th Ed. Terrain and line of sight

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Enigma, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

This is probably a stupid question, but where do i find the rules for line of sight and terrain? For an example: can a unit see over a hedge, a hill, a bridge? How far into a forrest can uints be spotted? etc.
    Thanks!

2. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The way I understand it, the order of height is... regular units<large target units<forests<hills. This means large targets like stegadons can hide in a forest or behind a forest or hill. All units can see 2 inches into a forest, or 2 inches out of a forest. Units on hills can see over anything, except other hills. Units on hills can also be seen by anything they can see from the hill.

For other, less common types of terrain, just work out with your opponent before the game how line of sight will work for each piece.

3. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Another thing that my group commonly uses is that forrests block ALL line of sight (with the 2 inch rule). But otherwise we say that as long as the majority of model's heads are above the hedge or wall they can see over it.

And yeah, I agree about the infantry/cav models - then large targets - hills.

4. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

actually, in the BRB where line of sight is explained the rule is to use true line of sight, so if you can see the target over the woods from the model's [that you want to see sed target] head you legally see the target.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think GW considers it imposible to see over woods..?
    wierd I know, feel free to make up house rules that make more sense.

6. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

The other thing you and your fellow gamers might need to keep in mind too is that, while the BRB says true line of sight obviously there are models out there such as the High Elf Dragon model and the Stegadon and other such models that are larger than most hills people use on the table. Also, in the case of our group for example, we use peices of felt with removeable railroad trees. These are shorter than many of the large models (even those which aren't consider 'large targets' by GW standards. It's an effect you'll have to discuss with your friends about which units can and can not see over terrain.

7. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I hope with the new edition of the BRB they can more clearly explain the effects of terrain, since it seems every player's understanding is a bit different and house rules seem to be the order of the day.

8. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

I just hopes it wont go the 40K way where they've gone back to true line of sight again :/
    Thanks for the answers guys. Me and my group'll probably let forests and hills block all line of sight (except for the 2" rule) and use true line of sight for the rest :)