8th Ed. TG bunkered Slann & shooting

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Jediknight620, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

I know that the Slann is considered a large target for things like a cannonball, so they can be multiwounded, but are players able to solo out the Slann and aim a cannon or a unit of archers directly at my Slann and avoid the unit of TG all together? Or is the Slann randomized on a roll when the unit is shot at? I checked the FAQ and the rulebook, although I may have just missed it.

I was curious because I'm building a tournament list and I was considering taking the discipline of Higher Conciousness since its lowhammer rules and Focused Rumination is banned.

Thanks again for clarificaion. I know I'm asking lots of noob questions, and I appreciate your patience and speedy responses! :)

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

He is only a large target while casting spells.

3. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

I'm assuming he doesn't get a look out sir! because of the different sized base?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

He DOES get a look out sir roll because he's the same troop type.

5. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

Oh wow, excellent. Thanks a million!

6. magician
    Skink

magician New Member

This does lead to another interesting question. Does being in the second rank provide the Slann with cover versus shots with the sniper rule?

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That is an interesting point. I would think that he would get the cover. The sniper does have to shoot through a unit.

8. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

You need to be 50% obscured to get cover though, don't think the Slann will be 50% obscured by the TG.

9. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

That's for true large targets.

10. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The FAQ removed the large target rule for the Slaan. With regard to LOS, it depends on how strict one applies "True LOS". By the rules on page 41, the slaan will get hard cover if more than half of the model is hidden by intervening TG between the Slaan and the sniper so it will be a matter of actually looking and seeing if the LOS is so blocked.

11. magician
    Skink

magician New Member

It seems a little silly that the flight stand makes the Slann more vulnerable, when the text says that he rises up to cast and then sinks down again into the safety of his unit.

So if I'm willing to make my flight stand really short and find other ways to recess the slann I can get cover versus snipers? This is one of those cases that makes me dislike true LoS...

12. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Actually the cover rules call for another unit to be in the way, and the sniper rules don't say anything different so as long as LOS can be drawn and the TG as a unit don't have cover the sniper shoots normally.

13. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The requirement for an intervening unit also requires that it block the majority of the unit so this can result in skirmishers not providing any cover at all if they are far apart (kind of ridiculous but that is TLOS for you). Also, the rules are slightly different when shooting at single models as per the first sentence under cover on page 41 in that LOS to the targeted model can be intervening friendly or enemy models. This would include models in the front rank if the model were in the 2nd rank like a Slaan.

14. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Even so the slaan is too tall to get covered by the guards.

15. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

was about to ask this question.....

I do have a follow up question.

Does a very high up slann allow the ranged opponent to see the TG to fire at the whole unit?

:( Now I feel very stupid for making my awesome elaborate base

16. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Technically yes, but it would either be cover, or you can be sensible and play the slaan as if he was normal height (although with a banner he's can just be spotted from behind a stegadon)

17. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

actually banners dont count for LOS.

18. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

True. The rules especially say that they don't want to punish models for having awesome banners. Your base is gorgeous, by the way!

19. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I'm about to assembly my slann this weekend for a touney and was give a short stand and a tall stand. Sounds like I should keep em both, short stand for tourney play and tall stand when I just want my slann up loud and in charge.

20. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

No amount of modelling can beat the advantage a good player has over a bad one.