1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The never-ending battle against woke Hollywood and SJW infused entertainment media [trigger warning]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 14, 2021.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Let's take whatever small wins we can!

3a6.jpg

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I would say Netflix suspending the employees who tried to cancel Dave Chappelle is a recent positive sign.

I haven't forgive Netflix for their other sins yet, but this is the first major sign against Wokeness. It doesn't seem like Netflix is taking a principled stand, but they at least seem to realize that Dave Chappelle's "offensive" comedy is making them money and taking the woke stance would lose money.

SPOILER, NOT SPOILER. James Bond dies in No Time to Die, and no Bond fans wants to pay money to see that, so No Time to Die can add to the "Get Woke, Go Broke" list.

Fantastic Beast 3 and Indiana Jones 5 appear poised to join the "Get Woke, Go Broke" list though I'm not 100% if Warner Brothers decision to unperson Johnny Depp who has unproven accusations of domestic abuse while relentlessly defending Amber Heard who has proven and corroborated domestic abuse and also defrauded charities counts as wokeness or is a non-woke example of stupidity and evil.

I am a major DC fanboy, and I like Jason Mamoa, but I am not going to watch Aquaman 2 or any other film with AH in it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Baby steps in the right direction.

So where do they go from here?

The Indy 5 rumors are brutal. Overlord DVD has done a bunch of rumor videos on it. No surprise with Kathleen Kennedy in charge.

Well you guys just lost your poster boy (or the son of your poster boy to be exact)...

Not in the video, but I believe that the writer of the comic has also said that Superman will also be dealing with modern day issues such as climate change and refugee crises! So fun!

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Scalenex
    Slann

They have, one by one, making more and more DC characters bisexual. There is no shock value any more. Even the LGBT community is not exactly thrilled and comic sales continue to tank as manga sales continue to go through the roof in the United States shining light on the lie that the declining DC sales are either because of Covid or a general growing disinterest in comics.

In any event, my favorite DC comics are mostly from the 1980s and there are hundreds of 80s comics yet for me to read.

The 60s and 70s comics are a little too squeaky clean for my taste. The late 90s and Y2K comics are a little too emo for me. So the 1980s is my comic Goldilocks zone that is "just right".

I don't have a problem with Superman addressing global warming or the refugee crisis. Comic books have always dealt with contemporary political issues.

It's the identity politics that bothers me.

It doesn't matter. American comics made in 2021 generally suck. Woke or not. DC (and Marvel) too have chased away their best writers and artists. I believe in the case of comics, the get broke and then get woke rather than the other way around. Mediocre writers and artists try to prop themselves up by being on the "right side of history."

In Marvel and DC, few have talked about making a movie around a comic book character who debuted in the 21st century.

Most of the source material used for the recent MCEU and DCEU movies have been from the 80s and 90s.

The recent universe of animated DC movies (that I liked a lot) were until recently all based on the New 52 comics which guess would be Y2K.

The New 52 comics was not terrible but I liked the 80s and 90s run better and the animated new 52 movies were better than the comics they pulled for source material in my humble opinion.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They always talk about representation, but when compared to the actual percentage of the real world population that is LGBT, the LGBT are massively overrepresented in comics.

I'd be curious to see what kind of interesting and engaging story they could craft around Superman combating global warming. Especially considering the heavy-handed and politically driven method with which these current day DC writers will tackle it.

At least it gives us the opportunity to sit back and watch it burn to the ground. The faster that happens the better, so that the pendulum can swing back towards the center.

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

That is a jaw-dropping piece of data.

I am a die-hard James Bond fan. That's not just woke. That's incredibly stupid. Why kill a franchise which has lasted, what, 50 years? And still going strong?!?!

Mental...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

To make room for the new female James Bond of course :vomit:

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  8. Scalenex
    Slann

I don't feel bad spoiling that because if I can save a James Bond fan from wasting money on what would be an utter disappointment, than I did a good thing, not a bad thing.

It has been pointed out that since Bond is retconned as different men in different eras, the franchise isn't technically dead. I will not debate whether or not the franchise can be saved, but this specific movie needs to be swept into the dust bin of history and forgotten.

They said they aren't going to make a female Bond but they said they wanted to make a female 007.

Good luck making money with that.

I'm all for action heroines, but for Old Ones sake, make new female characters I can root for like Katniss Everdeen. It doesn't help women or any minority group if you give a female actress the hand me down legacy of a more popular white male character.

If you want to make an LGBT superhero I can root for, make a new character like Aqualad that is well written in both Young Justice and the Y2K era comics, but don't make an pre-existing straight character gay or bi.

It is possible to have representation without retconning a white male or even a white female character away.

I am against all boring poorly written characters, even poorly written straight white males.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Look at that ratio between the critics and the audience score.

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

upload_2021-10-14_14-40-28.png
    :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Hasn't anyone ever seen an audience score below 2% or is this the lowest?

10. Scalenex
    Slann

I like Clownfish TV, but I wish they weren't quite so longwinded, but nevertheless they are spot on with the hypocrisy and lies of the shills attacking Dave Chappelle and explaining away the discrepancies between the high audience score and low critics.

I will add my own thoughts.

Alt-Right wing people review bombing up Dave Chappelle?

I remember as a young adult in the Y2K era when Dave Chappelle's show was new and you told me Dave Chappelle was one day going to be associated with the political Right, I would have assumed you were joking or crazy.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Scalenex
    Slann

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

and that pretty much nailed it.

14. Scalenex
    Slann

It's actually kind of fun to read a character in an older comic from a previous decade make a joke about Reagonomics or see a comic book villain be a clear allegory to the Munich Olympic terrorist attack or the Iranian hostage crisis.

Arguably, the entire basic concept of the X-Men is an allegory for the 1950s and 60s Civil Rights movement.

Some of my favorite characters are mutants that were neither heroes nor villains. They want avoid being hassled and maybe use their powers to make a few bucks.

If I had super powers, I would try to monetize my power. In a law abiding, non-evil way of course. Unless I was the only person on Earth with super powers, in which case I'd probably be in the closet.

I cannot stop singing the praises of the animated series Young Justice. They are arguably borrowing themes from X-Men.

The metaplot is that a small percentage of the human race has the "metagene." The metagene is why if a person exposed to some weird dangerous event, they sometimes emerge with super powers instead of dying.

So anyway, people have developed a means of testing a person to see if they have the metagene, now governments, corporations, criminal organizations, super villain societies, and space aliens are all working various schemes to kidnap and brainwash or approach and hire people with the metagene to activate their powers and weaponize them.

So in a way the whole thing is an allegory for real world human trafficking, but it has the side effect of creating more and more super powered characters that are neither superheroes or super villains but are somewhere in between.

And Young Justice has representation too. But they are not retconning existing character to change their race or sexual orientation. They are creating new characters or if they do retcon a character they retcon a very minor character that was largely forgotten. They did turn Halo from a blond American girl with a checkered past to a Middle Eastern Muslim girl with a checkered past but I don't think anyone is too bothered by that retcon. They also changed her power set a bit but in both the 2020 version and the 1980 she has lots of super powers but she can only use one power at a time (force fields, flight energy blasts, healing, illusions, portals). Each power has it's own color so she kind of has a literal rainbow thing going.

I bet 99% of you were not aware "Halo" was a character in the DC Universe. So retconning her identity a little bit is not in the same ball park of making Superman bisexual.

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

1. To be honest I couldn't see that film being popular in anywhere outside America anyway. I've certainly never heard of Fauci, and if I went out and asked people on the street if they'd heard of him, most of them would probably agree with me.
    2. If they wanted to make a film about a famous physician, I can think of several far more important figures. Pasteur, Jenner, Fleming... all of those have contributed far more to society than this Fauci chap has, namely by finding actual cures.
    3. The last thing you want to watch in an ongoing pandemic is a film about epidemiology. Talk about rubbing people's noses in it...

16. Scalenex
    Slann

The producers were not trying to make something audiences like. They were trying to add legitimacy to Fauci given how many detractors he has.

No tin foil hat. No SJW hijacked an entertainment franchise. Fauci was a pure political propaganda film.

Personally, I am ambivalent towards him.

17. Scalenex
    Slann

Have you heard of a bed of nails resistance to scandals. The idea is if you step on one nail, it hurts a lot, but if you step on or lie down on many nails, the weight is safely dispersed over several nails. This usually applies to political campaigns, but I think it might apply to media companies.

In politics, it is more damaging against a politician to talk about one scandal a hundred times than to talk about a hundred scandals once. Even though logically a hundred scandals is worse than once, and at some point if you hear about something enough times, you don't care about it anymore

Disney has done a bunch of woke hypocritical crap. Different stuff, but it all circles back to wokeness indirectly.

Warner Brothers has done some woke crap to DC comics.

Joss Whedon is accused of essentially being accused of being a asshole. Not a racist or a sexist or a woke crusader, just a mean person.

A couple lesser known directors are being accused of Harvey Weinstein-esque quid pro quo sexual harassment.

There are a lot of allegations that Warner Brothers that WB sets are unsafe for the workers.

There are a lot of allegations that WB rank and file are under paid and are denied mandatory breaks.

Warner Brother un-personed Johnny Depp or unfounded accusations and they are defending Amber Heard who has similar accusations but with evidence.

Some directors and actors/actresses got financially screwed over contracts fairly recently.

WB is kind of at odds with the movie theaters.

HBO Max is not picking up new subscribers at the rate WB promised their investors

WB is not as obvious about it as other companies, but they will change things to try to appease the CCP periodically

All that being said, I am way more pissed at Disney than WB.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Killer Angel likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hmmmmm... interesting.

Capture.JPG

Killer Angel likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. Scalenex
    Slann

It has been noted, sometimes this is figurative and sometimes this is literal.

Fans of woke comedians often don't laugh. They cheer their political points.

The people in Hannah's audience are laughing, but I have heard a lot of feminist stand up where the audience cheers a lot but never laughs.

Comedy isn't about politics. I have a laughed out loud at jokes that go against my political sensibilities all the time.

Bad comedy (or bad any entertainment) is just bad. But if you are woke, someone will still sign off on your pay check.

Much like the nephew of a corrupt politician can be "offered a job" where they do nothing and draw a huge salary. This is a way to bribe someone with plausible deniability.

Most, but not all of my favorite comedians had really crummy child hoods and rough lives as young adults. Humor is one way to deal with tough times. It's not impossible to be funny without having a rough life, but it's rare.

Woke people are often sheltered from real hardship for their childhood and young adulthoods, so they were never forced to develop a good sense of humor to cope.

Though there are lots of people who had rough lives who didn't develop a good sense of humor, so this isn't a hard and fast rule.