8th Ed. The power of slann

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by hellrodo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hellrodo
    Jungle Swarm

hellrodo New Member

Hi i´m from mexico and here´s my question:
    how do you use the spetial ability corporeal focus due to the determination of power dices.
    thanks a lot. :smug:

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, I've just looked through the Slann disciplines and I'm not sure which one you are asking about. Can you elaborate please?

3. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

Do you mean focused rumination? if so, when you cast a spell with your slaan, you may add 1 extra "free" power dice to each cast attempt, which can cause irresistable force/miscast and can exceed the dice limit of 6. Eg: you have 6 power dice, you can use focused rumination to roll 7 dice instead of 6 to try and cast the spell.

Hope this helps

Yours Aye

Mixer

4. Huaxec
    Jungle Swarm

Huaxec New Member

Hey there,

this post seems to be closed, but in response to Mixer on bottom right of page 2 of the GW FAQ:

Q. Does the ‘free’ power dice gained from Focused Rumination count
    against the power limit? (p43)
    A. Yes.

Does this mean that a die gained from this Slann ability cannot exceed the limit of 6 dice he can use for a single spell? This confused me a bit, and I wanted a little clarification.

Thanks,
    Huaxec

5. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Edit :nvm. but ill leave the post as is. correction is below.

You are correct. The FAQ clearly states that the "free" dice is a power dice and must follow the rule for a 6 dice cap.

6. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Altho it is a power dice rumination does state that it can allow the slaan to use more dice than usually allowed capping him out on 7 per spell.

7. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

I incorrectly remembered what the FAQ said. It seems it doesn't specify if you can go over the 6 dice cap. It only says it counts against the power limit, which is the 12 dice in your pool at once limit. Meaning if you roll 12 on the WoM you don't get to use Focused Rumination for your first spell cast with the slann (unless you lower your pool to under 12 with something else first).

8. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

just a bit of nitpicking, but if you roll a 12 for WoM, you will actually lose a power dice if you cast first with your slann with rumination.

rumination states that you add an extra power dice to each casting, it doesnt give you the option to not add one. thats why they put the part about it counting towards the 12 PD cap in the FAQ. as soon as you take X dice to cast a spell and add the free one, you must remove 1 unused dice from your pool. kinda sucks, but thems the breaks.

so if you roll an 11 and you only have a slann, DONT TRY AND CHANNEL A POWER DICE. youll end up losing 1 instead of gaining :). its helpful to have a skink priest around for this reason. also if the enemy has any remains in play spells active, try and dispel them first. thatll help with the cap

9. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The twelve dice limit is an instantaneous limit not a cumulative limit.

E.g.
    You have slann and priest and roll 11 for power dice: pool=11

Both channel you now have 13 dice, over limit of 12 so have to discard one: pool=12

Slann starts to cast using 1 die from pool and bonus die, pool now 13, have to discard another one: pool=12

Slann completes casting roll using the two dice above, pool shrinks by 2: pool =10

Slann starts to cast using 1 die from pool plus bonus die: pool=11

Slann completes casting roll using two dice above: pool=9

And so on...