1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS ThunderGuard

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by darren watson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

Looking at branching out and trying something different from Kroak spamming mortal wounds.. Something a little more fun

Considering this:

Slann Star Master with Incandescent and skink spells
    Engine of the gods with Dracos Light
    Eternity Warden with extra rend

10 Saurus Guard
    5 Saurus Guard
    5 Saurus Guard

Basti solar
    Steg with bow
    3 Kroxigor
    Thunderquake and Eternal formations..

Tis only 3 drops which is decent nowadays. Thinking rerolling saves thanks to the slann in the shooting phase will keep the majority of the army alive until it reaches combat. Then the monsters can reroll saves thanks to the Thunderquake formation. Guard will all likely have a 2 up save, with the slann and eternity warden sharing wounds and getting them back from the engine. I'll also try and get a few extra turns with popping Curse of Fate on the EotG's and try to a get a lucky godly roll of 2 6's and a 5 on 4 dice.. Have the option of teleporting out the Steg and using it's ability to move extra and help complete a charge. In later turns once engaged the Guard are pretty tasty even in low numbers.

I've just manged to get a hold of a Facehammer GT ticket for the end of this month. I either go with Kroak the ol' faithful list or this. Hmmm..

Bracnos and Seraphage like this.
  2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

This is something completely different of what we 've been discussing so far and is indeed way too interesting. This can might as well work well with one little problem : if you only had 120p more for 2 units of skinks !
    I honestly think you are gonna miss the lack of screen !
    Then again, you are about 239082489348 more experienced than I am and you will probably work your way around this ! :p

darren watson likes this.
  3. darren watson
    Kroxigor

I could drop the krox for a razordon 3 handlers and 10 skinks.. If i had time to practice id try both out and see what works best. the low model count is an issue I agree. Just like the thought of nothing dying haha

Seraphage likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

With hordes becoming more powerful (and thus more often played) the anti-horde abilities of the Kroxigor might be worth it.
    If you can somehow protect your guards from mortal wounds, for example by sniping wizards and by using the skink spells to lower hit rolls (Bloodletters debuffed by Starlight can never roll the 6 for the mortal wound for example) guards will be quite strong I think.

Problem will be armies that are hard to snipe and can cause mortal wounds. Imagine a mirror match against another Seraphon player using your Kroak list. You're pretty much dead I guess. :(

5. Robertxtrem
    Cold One

Robertxtrem Active Member

I've found kroxigor very strong, 3 of them can easily take out units of 20 in one attack.

Seraphage and darren watson like this.
  6. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

@darren watson
    Hi! When you speak about stegadont ability you mean skink alpha? Can i use that ability on stegadont if there aren t any other skink units near?

darren watson likes this.
  7. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I don't have as much experience as you, but you might consider a Salamander instead of a Razordon and a Stegadon with sunfire throwers. That way, you get the skink screen, but still have both the multi-wound and tbe anti-horde damage.

8. darren watson
    Kroxigor

It certainly can as it has the skink keyword. It's a great teleport target

9. darren watson
    Kroxigor

I much prefer razordons over salamanders, after a teleport they can be in range and also deal with hordes. Salamanders would be a good choice if heavy armour was an issue for the army, but Kroak deals with that nicely already. Just my humble opinion, I know there's a lot of love for Salamander.

Never got much use out of sun fire throwers but it could be time to try them again in the new environment

Paul Beenis, Seraphage and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

With hordes being more prevalent worth testing the thrower.

Tizianolol likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

I will do some test games against ....myself I guess... and see how it works against my Skeletons.
    Lately I played a few 1.5k games against a friend and noticed that a fully buffed group of Skeletons demolished both his Ironjawz and Stormcast so the horde meta might really be true.
    40 Skellies, with the additional attack by a Wight King, buffed by two Necromancers, one with mystic shield and one with Danse Macabre. I got them to make over 200 attacks.
    A Stegadon supported by Razordons could hit those hard enough in the first round to kill quite a few, getting rid of their buff.

Paul Beenis and Crowsfoot like this.
  12. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

Its really intersting, what do you think about put on stegadont sunfire thrower? With teleport ora more easy charge and benefit from 8" range attacks!;)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

But they regen like crazy!!

Skellys are tougher than they look.

14. Aginor
    Slann

Ok let's do some math of Sunfire vs. Skystreak since I am not sure where the breakeven point is:

Skystreak Bow: 3 attacks, 4+/3+/-1/D3
    Sunfire Throwers: 1 attack per model in range, 3+/3+/-/1

So if I am not mistaken the wounds for the Skystreak Bow is... 1.5 per round or so.

For the Sunfire Throwers:
    5 models in range makes 2 wounds or so. Since this doesn't have rend the breakeven point is probably with seven or eight models.

Pretty sure that against Skeletons for example you get more than that into range if you teleport to 9" away and move more than one inch toward the enemy using the Skink Alpha ability. If you get that average result of 3 inches it will be worth it I think...

15. Aginor
    Slann

Well... in my example I rolled three ones in a row and once a two when trying to regenerate, so.... no. :D

16. Seraphage
    Stegadon

No love for sallies till they change one of the top 3 ugly - if not ugliest model in GW range :p:confused:

17. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

The thing about the flamethrowers is you should treat them as a melee weapon you use in the shooting phase. If you are close enough to use them you should be charging the stegadon instead. Do some damage with it, and then take the attacks from your opponent. Since it is probably a horde it will be a lot but not enough to kill. Then when your next turn comes around your weakened stegadon can use the flame throwers to still stay effective in combat even though it's probably really hurt.

18. Seraphage
    Stegadon

The main problem I am opposing to my list building so far is that when I make an army that can deal easier with hordes, my strength against armor armies gets trashed - which by the way, always is a tough thing to have *against elites - SCE with 2+ rerollable for example * leaving the horde thing out.

19. Paul Beenis
    Cold One

Paul Beenis Active Member

That's why there's so much potential with an eternal Starhost army, once you have your hard hitters take out the main mortal wound threats. You can camp on objectives and start dealing 3 attacks/model at -1 with D3 in your combat phase you can clean up elites and hoards no problem. The trick is getting rid of those main mortal wound hitters that can devastate your guard. I like the potential of making a decent list with thunderquake and eternal :D

20. Aginor
    Slann

Edit also @Paul Beenis
    The problem really is that you can almost not get rid of some of them.
    Example: SCE Retributors. You can use Starlight to get rid of the 6+ for mortal wounds, but there is no way to prevent the damn starsoul maces. In each Retri unit of 5 there are probably two guys carrying it. So you can do more than 10 wounds to the unit and they still have a ~50% chance to just delete your Guards and you can do nothing against it. No unbind no save and they cannot even fail their attack so two dead guards per round are even guaranteed.

Seraphage and Paul Beenis like this.