8th Ed. transformation of kadon

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Rettile, May 13, 2013.

1. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

yesterday i had a 1000 points match against high elves, and i played no magic. My opponent decided to use the beast lore, and his wizard became a monster who killed half of my army before i could dispell the transformation of kadon, but i think he used that spell in a wrong way, because i think it would be too strong if it is like he used it. Can you explain me how that spell works?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

With Kadon, the spell has the lower value and the upper value. The lower value allows the caster to change into a smaller monster (still pretty formadible though). The higher value allows the caster to transform into a full sized dragon (or some other equally nasty thing).

If the spell gets through, you can dispell it on the following turns as long as you meet the minimum casting value of that spell (not what he rolled, if that was what happened).

While transformed, the caster is not allowed to cast spells (he is a dragon!). He may dispell though.

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Something worth keeping in mind is that all special rules and magic items (per the latest FAQ) remain in effect while the spell is in effect. :jawdrop: ASF Dragon when used by an HE Mage.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Ouch! I had forgotten that.

5. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

my question is: if kadon is so strong, why people say the lore of beast is a week lore? he destroyed my army with a single spell!

6. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I haven't tried many things when it comes to the lores of magic, but I do know that "people" say lots of "things", many of which are not 100% true (myself included). ;)

7. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

beasts isnt a weak lore. wyssans is great, curse has uses, kadon is pretty cool if you can get it off. the amber spear can wreck a warmachine or a long bus of troops. It depends on the army and how you use it. Flock of doom is kind of crap, but it is a fair enough chaff clearer. Every lore has its strengths and weakness. some are more versatile than others. slann can't use kadon, so that kind of sucks for us.

8. Hinds
    Saurus

Hinds New Member

People on these forums says it sucks because the slann can't use it. So it is not the best lore for Lizardmen to take.

If your amy got completely smashed by that one spell you have clearly done something terribly wrong though..

9. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

Beasts is typically considered an okay lore overall, but Kadon is generally considered a poor spell. If the caster is in combat, you put dispelling it as your top priority. If you stop the spell, then you kill the caster. If the caster gets it off in combat, he should do a lot of damage. But then the non-Kadon player dispels it in his own magic phase and kills the caster. Basically the spell should never last more than one magic phase, will often be stopped when the caster wants it, and making use of the spell requires exposing the squishy wizard to combat.

10. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i was winning. I destroyed his white lion chariot on turn 2, burned 3\4 of the wizard unit with my salamanders and double-charged his swordmasters who fled for 3 turns leaving only 3 alive. I lost 8 skinks of the skroxigor unit, 4 saurus warriors and 3 skink handlers for a misfire. then his wizard became a flying monster with 4d6 poison attacks, strenght 7, toughness 7, 10 wounds and so on. I tryed to dispell each turn. When i dispelled it it was too late. I lost only for 45 points (3 swordmasters left), because his army was practically deleted. The monster killed my oldblood before he could counterattack, and almost destroyed my skroxigor unit. In the end there were 4 skinks with a kroxigor with 1 wound and a salamander with 1 wound and a single handler vs 3 swordmasters and a bolthrower. My salamander has been killed by the bolthrower, my kroxigor (skinks died because of the bolthrower) killed it. Swordmasters charged my kroxigor and i held because i couldn't flee without go out from the table. They killed him. What is wrong here, Hinds? only 1 thing: i didn't pursue 3 swordmasters with a huge skroxigor unit :D

11. clockwork lizard
    Skink

clockwork lizard New Member

disspelling is quite easy, why did you fail?

12. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

in the subsequent magic phases my opponent rolled poor for winds of magic, and with only 1 or 2 dices and without any bonus from the caster it's quite difficult to dispell

13. clockwork lizard
    Skink

You can dispell in your own turn with your own power dice. See page 36 of the main rulebook.
    That way, it's horribly easy to get rid of the spell after one combat phase, and then you can kill the wizard because it's locked in combat.

14. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

even if i didn't have wizards?

15. clockwork lizard
    Skink

yep! p35: If the dispelling player does not have an eligible wizard to attempt a dispel his army can attempt to dispel the spell instead.

This also applies to dispelling RiP spells (it doesn't say it doesn't so it does), your army can dispel the spell. you don't get the bonus for wizard level, but otherwise you're fine.

16. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

so i can generate power dice even if i have no wizards? O.O

17. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

18. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Dwarfs do it all the time to get rid of remains in play spells, same applies to any army without casters. Hate to say it, but this simple rules mistake probably cost you the game! But now you'll probably never forget that rule.

19. clockwork lizard
    Skink

Hate to say it, but this doesn't seem helpful at all. Everyone starts somewhere, not everyone plays anywhere near competitively. The answer has been given. you could've left it like that, nice and polite.

20. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that the thread had a second page already.

Were your Winds of Magic rolls particularly low, or did you roll poorly on those dispel attempts? I remember when a friend of mine was completely over the heels for the Kadon, and tried it on me. I let his lone High Elf Mage cast the spell, wasting most of his dice, turn into a Mountain Chimera. Then I charged that beast and dispelled the spell. I only did one wound to the mage, due to poor rolls and he making his Ward saves, but he lost to Static Combat resolution, fled and was caught. Haven't seen him using that spell ever since. It is a nifty spell that has potential, but also comes with great risks if the mage is not a combat monster enough to survive on his own.