1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Use of cavalry

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Lizerd, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

So after playing around for a bit witty various total war games, a few tactical ideas can be used.
    With cavalry you can do some pretty absurd things. So the uses can be as follows:
    Option one: use them as a bait unit. This works well with tightly packed and ordered formation. Send a unit of cavalry or skinks to engage, but not fully charge in. They should deal a few casualties before turning and falling back. With some luck the opponent with pursue and open gaps in a line.
    Option two: initial charge. After skirmishing takes place a charge can take place, typically to score large numbers of kills. This can help put your opponent at a disadvantage, killing troops while causing others to flee.
    Option three: shock cavalry. This is arguably the deadliest use of cavalry as when infantry lines collide they battle for a while before one side gives in. Send a few units of cavalry lead by a scar vet to smash into the enemy line, leading to a large breakthrough and a good chance of victory.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

Torxhol Drakescale Active Member

Are you referring to using these tactics in Total War, or on the tabletop?

3. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Both, as a cavalry charge can shatter an enemy line, break moral, and capture objectives

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think that is one of the things AoS does not do well unfortunately.
    A cavalry charge and a charge by infantry are the same thing and don't work differently.

They are quite different in real life and Total War captures it fairly well. I see why they didn't include that in AoS, mainly because of complexity I guess.

That's why usual cavalry tactics don't work in AoS. Especially not with our Saurus Cavalry as they are sloooow.
    In real life nobody would ever run after a retreating cavalry unit and charge them from the back. In AoS that is no problem.

Cold Ones retreat 7" (14" if they run), and even the slowest infantry in the game can move their 4" and then charge the cavalry. If the Saurus Knights don't march it is even trivial to charge them. Even for Skeletons.

So while I do like Cavalry I think it isn't worth trying to play real cavalry tactics in AoS.
    ...and maybe that is a good thing to a certain degree. I heard that there were editions in the past in which cavalry was pretty OP.

5. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Well, I have a solution to crappy cavalry, send them in with a scar veteran on cold one, or you could send in a carnosaur. Despite the fact we don’t get to use momentum :( we can’t slice through enemies, but we can surround them, which means less chance of escape

LizardWizard and Aginor like this.
  6. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

*COUGH* BRETTONIAN FREIGHT TRAIN *COUGH*

7. Aginor
    Slann

That's a good point. A better than average infantry move helps surrounding, which is a good thing to have because it limits enemies' movement.

I don't know what that is because I haven't played older editions. I am interested how it worked though, can you explain it shortly?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I’m curious, what is this Brettonian freight chain?

As for surrounding, it means the enemy is well, trapped and can’t move, exposing them to almost all your attacks :D

9. Aginor
    Slann

That's an important and often overlooked thing in AoS, and adds a big complexity to the game.
    Model positioning using clever charging and pile-in movements can decide a battle by either denying a large portion of a unit their attacks, or enabling your own models to make as many attacks as you can.

Putzfrau, LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  10. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

In real life, and in aos, typically when an infantry line is surrounded, they get killed and the battle soon ends. As a result, surrounding is pretty important. It worked well for me last night :D

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

If your unit is more numerous then surround an enemy unit if able (consider who you might pull into combat). If your unit is smaller in numbers then try to fight on the enemy unit's corners. This is regardless of the power of the respective units. Both have their advantages.

However, having to surround a large enemy unit with multiple of your units will frequently go less optimally unless you have a unit you can attack first with that will likely severely diminish the surrounded units fighting power. This is due to the enemy units activation advantage. So, in most cases you are better off engaging an enemy unit on two distant ends:D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Lizerd likes this.
  12. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Curious. Never really thought of that as the last times I have surrounded an opponent, they typically would suffer greatly from attacks on all sides. We could try car thing people in a narrow valley with two sides, trapping them

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

In Warhammer Fantasy Battles, there was a faction called bretonnia, and their big deal was cavalry, so what happened rather often with them was a massive brick of Bretonnian Knights, resembling a freight train. Also realized I had been spelling Bretonnia wrong.

LizardWizard, Lizerd and Aginor like this.
  14. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

That sounds... unpleasant. For everyone on the receiving end

LizardWizard likes this.
  15. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

It usually was, but for someone who mained old Wood Elves, who could MOVE THE TREES, the freight train just got stuck.

Lizerd, Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  16. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Why does warhammer fantasy sound broken in mechanics?
    The thing I can most compare this to is my mech in battle tech that could move at a speed comparable to a lighter warmachine...

LizardWizard likes this.