8th Ed. What can join units?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ncharman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ncharman
    Skink

ncharman New Member

This is just a quick question as I cant find it in the rules but I believe on various sites ive read about certain combinations so I am praying to the old ones that someone can give me clarity here.

Is it possible for a Saurus on a Carnosaur to join a unit of CoC or Saurus Block?

is it possibly for saurus on Cold One to join a Saurus Block?

If so, where in the rulebook does it say this?

2. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Yes they can. Pg. 98 of the BRB show diagrams on how a character mounted can join and be positioned inside an infantry block. However, this will restrict your characters movement as he can only move as fast as the slowest model in the unit.

As far as a carnosaur joining a unit of CoC, I believe he can. A carnosaur isn't listed as a monstrous mount. At least I don't see any place or ruling that wouldn't enable him to do so.

On page 97 of the BRB, it describes characters and joining units:

"...Unless otherwise stated, a character cannot join units of Monsters, flyers, chariots, swarms or a war machine. Also a character riding a monster or chariot cannot join units..."

- Lord Cedric

3. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

A carnosaur is a monster, you cannot join a unit with him. Its listed in the Bestiary in the back of the BRB.

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Thanks TheRolfgar. Not sure why our army book nor faq doesnt have him listed as such though does terror which didnt make sense to me. Lol.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Its because in 7th edition (when our book was written) a carnosaur lord could join units. They changed it for 8th ed.

Cold one characters can join units of saurus, and they take 2 spots, but the problem is they can no longer benefit from look out sir so they are vulnerable to shooting.

6. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Ah. Thanks for the clarity of the rule, Strewart. I would have thought, though, that the lizardmen eratta'd faq would have an update for this (which I did look for when posting my original post). Oh well.. here's to the next faq update then. :D

7. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

It will not be FAQ-ed and neither will it be for any other older book, that was the whole point of putting the bestiary in the main rulebook, so they won't have to crowd the FAQ-es.