Discussion What is the most fearsome beast in all of Lustria?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by - Q -, Jul 24, 2024.

1. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

According to the lore, what do you guys think is the most powerful beast in Lustria? Specifically beasts, so not counting the Lizardmen themselves (Slann, Skinks, Saurus, Kroxigor).

Carnosaur, Stegadon, Dread Saurian, Thunder Lizard, Coatl, something else?

Imrahil likes this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

"Most powerful" is open to interpretation.

The Thunder Lizard is basically a kaiju monster or a living natural disaster. In terms of raw destructive power, it is unrivaled, but it is rarely seen.

Coatl are functionally a holy creature. It is vague on what their powers can or can't do in official canon. I have a Coatl show up in one of fiction pieces. In my story at least, the Coatl is intelligent and it has healing and precognition powers and it can enchant poison to be extra damaging to daemons. But the Coatl cannot smite enemies on its own, it can guide and assist Lizardmen.

A Dread Saurian is basically a souped up Carnosaur. It is the most powerful beast that Lizardmen Slann can command.

Carnosaur are less powerful but more reliable than Dread Saurian because you don't require a Slann to rein them in. Stegadon are (arguably) less powerful but more reliable than Carnosaur because they don't require a mighty Saurus hero to rein them in. Stegadon can also perform grunt labor when not fighting. A Carnosaur is just a drain on resources during peace time.

I'm not sure if any single beast stands out as the number one threat, but I imagine smaller beasts kill more people (both Lizardmen and outsiders) in the jungle than larger dinosaurs.

3. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

I guess I mean powerful in the sense that if a Thunder Lizard had a kaiju battle against a Dread Saurian, who would be favored to win?

So to summarize, you're saying that the order would be the Dread Saurian or Thunder Lizard at the top, followed by the Carnosaur, then the Stegadon (although it is more useful) and then things like the Troglodon and Bastiladon? And the Coatl is not really a fighting type monster.

What about things like...
    • Amaxon Swamp Python
    • Colossadon
    • Arcanadon
    • Pliodon
    (source)

4. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Well-Known Member

May be mixing my fluff... But weren't Dread Saurians the reason dragons are extinct in Lustrian? A record like that, I'mma put my money on Dread Saurians.

Scalenex and - Q - like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm putting my money on the Chaos War Mammoth... at least in terms of cool factor!

6. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

I did not know that. That's a big check mark in the Dread Saurian column! Killing off all the dragons is a pretty big feat.

Thunder Lizards are larger right? (is it a sauropod, right?). But the Dread Saurians seem more ferocious and predatory.

But War Mammoths are not beasts of Lustria. Besides, would they not lose against Dread Saurians or Thunder Lizards?

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'd say a War Mammoth is on par with a Dread Saurian... but if a Thunder Lizard is a Kaiju-level natural disaster waiting to happen, the Mammoth stands no chance.

- Q - likes this.
  8. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Interesting!

So you disagree with @J.Logan 's opinion that the Dread Saurian would be favored to prevail against the Thunder Lizard?

Are Dread Saurians and War Mammoths of roughly comparable size?

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I thought I'd class up the conversation a little. ;)

There is no escape from Chaos, it marks us all.

Perhaps. Depends on the size of the Thunder Lizard. But in either case, Chaos has something up its sleeve to easily thump the Thunder Lizard. I'd argue that it's likely the most powerful monster of them all.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  10. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

I think someone has strayed from the path of the Old Ones. :D

Which is?

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Krakanrok the Black

He is the father of the Dragon Ogres, and the strongest and largest of their kind. He is literally the size of a mountain.

12. J.Logan
    Cold One

Ah yes, the dude so big that he has his own weather patterns that blot out the sun wherever he sets foot. talk about having his head in the clouds. *ba-dum-tish!*

Or was that his son I just described?

Scalenex likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

His son, Kholek, is also beastly, but Krakanrok the Black is the granddaddy of the them all.

14. J.Logan
    Cold One

Ah, right. Figures I yet again get myself muddled up. I don't actually have that much recollection of Krakanrok, but Kholek I definitely recall.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's probably because Krakanrok is a background character; a character of legends. He is asleep during the events of Warhammer 8th and isn't mentioned very much. Also, unlike Kholek, he has no rules.

J.Logan likes this.
  16. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Does anyone here a picture of both models side by side so that we could compare their relative sizes?

J.Logan likes this.
  17. J.Logan
    Cold One

I don't have either, but I distinctly recall that the Dread Saurian was the single largest fantasy/Age of Sigmar model sold. 14 inches from head to the top of the tail.

The only models that I can recall that were bigger, off the top of my head, were 40K titans, and the Tau Manta (which is the model that I swear would be cheaper to buy an actual smart car and place it on the table as a counts-as - it would even do the in-universe role of transporting your army!).

- Q - likes this.
  18. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

That is beastly!!

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Of the two, I only own the Chaos War Mammoth, but I did find a picture online of a bunch of fantasy Forge World models, including the models in question.

The Dread Saurian is not the largest Forge World fantasy model, that honour has to go to the Khorne dragon Vorgaroth (pictured to the right of the War Mammoth), which I believe was released for AoS sometime around 2018.

As far as the size comparison of the Dread Saurian versus the War Mammoth, it comes down to what we define "bigger" to mean. The Dread Saurian is undoubtedly longer than the War Mammoth, but the Mammoth looks to be both bulkier and taller (when exclude the tactical rock the Dread Saurian has been put on in the picture). So it's the classic argument of length vs. girth :D

i3dk5y4pfoj71.jpg

ASSASSIN_NR_1 and J.Logan like this.
  20. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

There is nothing cool about the Lustrian jungle.

[​IMG]

Thought it would be easy enough to handwave "a wizard did it" and let a mammoth get magic to let it tolerate hot and humid, much like Lizard do when they send dinosaurs into cold places.

J.Logan likes this.