1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What to build...

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Christopher, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

I have my first AoS 3.0 game day coming up on August 8th and plan to build my list around big beasties. I have a Saurus Old One on Carnosaur and a Skink Priest on Troglodon built and painted and a Stegadon with Starbow and a Bastiladon with Solar Engine built but unpainted. I plan to paint those two in the next week or two.

But here's my conundrum. I have an unopened Start Collecting box and I'm sure I'll be building the big guy in that into a Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur. I also have two unopened boxes each containing a Stegadon/Engine of the Gods.

After I've painted my two built and primed guys, in what order and in what configuration do you think I should build and paint the remaining three, given that it's unlikely I'll get all three done. And should I build one Stegadon and one Engine of the Gods, two of one or two of the other? I sincerely doubt I'll get all three of them ready, but I"d like to try!

I realize that without knowing my list(s) (I don't know them either!) this is kind of a hard question to answer, so please take this as a request for general advice!

Thanks in advance!

PS Just to make things more complicated, I'll probably be buying a Start Collecting Skink box in the next few weeks so there's another Basti to throw in the mix!

MackiMac and Dread Saurian like this.
  2. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

MackiMac Well-Known Member

One thing to remember is that you are limited on how many behemoths you are allowed to take, depending on how many points you are playing. At 2000pts you can have up to 4 behemoths for exampel. The Thunder Lizard subfaction can get around this limit by making the regular Stegadon a Battleline unit instead of a behemoth. So if you want more than 4 big monsters you will have to take Stegadons in Thunder Lizard. At 2000pts you need atleast 3 Battleline units.

3. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Does that translates into TL being unable to take the Linebreaker Battalion to fill Battleline?

4. Zargore
    Skink

Zargore New Member

As I read the new rules, it says that if a faction ability changes the role of a unit, it loses all existing roles. So Stegadons in Thunder Lizard is no longer Behemoths and can't be part of a Linebraeker Battalion

5. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

This is correct. Stegadons in TL can not be in a linebreaker battalion.

6. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Issue with that. You CAN take them as a battleline. But you CAN run then as behemoths if you want. But more or less you run stegadons in tl for the battleline .

7. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I don't think its optional. It does not say that you CAN take them as battleline. It just says "Battleline if Thunder Lizard"

Tyranitar and Dread Saurian like this.
  8. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Ahh so it's not an option then. Shame but hey more room for carnosaurs

9. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Well, I think you can only use the EotG ability once per turn even if you have multiple of them, so no sense in building 2 or more. Also, you can only use the TL command ability once per turn now so I don't think double bastis is that great. Given that you should focus on your other stuff instead of cracking into the SC skinks box. IMO the order you should build them in is Scarnosaur, EotG, reg steg or steg chief. Scarnosaur seems great with the minimal points adjustment, then you get the option to run an EotG if you want

Christopher likes this.
  10. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!

11. Tichi Huichi Raider
    Skink

Tichi Huichi Raider Member

Engines of the Gods' abilities are abilities, they aren't modifiers or spells or anything like that. So you can have multiple Engines of the Gods and they each can use their abilities. That's why things like Stegageddon are viable. If you could only use the abilities of a single Engine of the Gods you would never ever run more than one Engine of the Gods, a second one would literally be worthless. Here is the Stegageddon list published by Warhammer: https://www.warhammer-community.com...final-form-of-listbuildinggw-homepage-post-2/

12. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Well, idk if I would trust GW to write competent lists, that's more of a narrative thing. The waracroll ability says "at the start of your shooting phase, you can make 1 cosmic Engine roll for 1 model with this ability." To me, that sounds like you can only use 1 per turn even if you have multiple

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.