1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHFB and AoS, which model had the shortest life?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Aginor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hey y'all!

With all the discussions about various factions getting axed, squatted or whatever you like to call a model going out of production, I wondered:

What was the newest model that ever got axed.

Not counting: One-shot miniatures like for a boxed set or special editions that you could only get in limited nbumbers, such as for a store anniversary, in a White Dwarf magazine or the like.

I mean regular troops for WHFB or AoS that GW built, sold in decent numbers, made rules for in at least the rule book of one edition, but then at some point you could not play them anymore.

Any ideas?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  2. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

Maybe Necrosphinx for TKs? Never thought about it but you got my attention.

3. Aginor
    Slann

I haven't played WHFB so I don't really know when all those models were released, but TK might be a good guess, especially if there were models of them introduced during 8th edition or even the End Times, only to get axed during the trasition to AoS.

Another possible army to look for short-lived models might be Brettonia if they had anything released during 8th edition, or maybe The Empire.

4. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

What comes to mind is Dogs of War, to my knowledge they were released for 5th edition, and never received a new rulebook.

Got the rulebook as I planned to have them as my first army, that is until I found the Lizardmen rulebook at another visit tot he store :bookworm:

5. Aginor
    Slann

I have never even heard of Dogs of War. :D

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I remember them from the 6th edition army books, where you could take them to supplement your army (I may even have the pdfs lying around somewhere). For instance, here is the entry from the 6th edition Lizardmen book...

upload_2019-8-20_10-25-44.png

7. Aginor
    Slann

Interesting, thanks for digging that up!
    I didn't know Lizardmen could (or would) take warmblood mercenaries.
    What about allies btw, was that a thing in WHFB and if yes: whom could Lizardmen ally with?

8. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

Yeah. There was a lizardmen mercenary unit comprised of skink riding Cold Ones called Tichi Huichi's raiders. They basically offer their services to their warmblooded employers in return for plaques and other long-lost treasures of the Old Ones.

There was also a time when a lizardmen army relieved a lustrian High Elf colony from the dark elves besieging it.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

In 8th edition any army could align with any other army but the nature of that alliance (trusted, suspicious or desperate) will depend on the alignment of the two armies in question (Forces of Order, Forces of Destruction and Non-aligned Forces).

10. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes there was. I still have the minis for that Regiment of Renown. I use them as Saurus Knights. :D

I kind of miss the Dogs of War. They gave them generic rules in that 'get you by' booklet that came out with the 6th Edition release, but never got anything official after that. :(

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'd say probably the Forsaken kit for Warriors of Chaos - the plastic kit was much newer than the 2011 Necrosphinx, appearing in February 2013 despite being in the army book since 7th Edition, only to be axed by GW as soon as AoS came round in 2015, one of the few axes WoC got (having a lifespan of only around 2 years). Either they were just too weird for people's liking, they were too weak or underplayed in Fantasy or they just didn't fit with AoS lore.
    [​IMG]

Tk'ya'pyk, NIGHTBRINGER and Aginor like this.
  12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah, that's a pretty strong contender. I whinge about the Dogs of War, but you could actually buy those minis through the whole of 5th and 6th edition and some were available into 7th. Those Forsaken were kind of... weird...

13. Aginor
    Slann

Huh. I don't quite understand why they were axed, IMO they look pretty cool/disgusting just like they should.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Not my cup tea. I don't have any of those in my WoC force.

15. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

If I recall, they were intended to be a weird kind of siege-themed unit originally, that had to be grandfathered into later rules. What they basically were was an attempt to make Possessed for Fantasy. o_O

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Of course! Like the Long Drong Slayer Pirates!

longdrongslayers.jpg
    (not mine sadly, maybe someday)

And there were a bunch more Dogs of War, including some halflings.

Probably the shortest-run models were the old White Dwarf models that used to be in production for one-time only events or sales? They might have some of the shortest model-lives.

17. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Indeed there were! They had pikemen in several different kinds of armor, crossbowmen with heavy armor and big pavise shields, several flavors of ogres, halflings, a dragon-riding elf, dark elf scouts with greatswords, dwarf pirates, skink cavalry, hobgoblin Mongol cavalry (they rocked), a werebear, twin giants, skeletons who made more skeletons whenever they killed someone (so you could end the game with a bigger unit than you started with if you went against horde armies), and... well... everything weird. They were a fun army to paint and build, but kind of tricky to actually play with.

As for those White Dwarf article minis, some of those lasted a couple of editions as well. The minis for the Albion campaign, for example, could still be bought via mail-order until late 6th edition despite being a 5th edition campaign.

Warden and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

I had Long Drongs dwarf pirates which I gave to my nephew. I still have the skink cold one riders. Much better than the GW offerings today. Saurus on cold ones just dont look right. Like a tall person on a dwarf pony. I also have the hobgoblin wolf riders. Had most of the other stuff only to find my sister threw them out when I went overseas.
    Unless you bought something specific to play with your existing army, you were limited in who they aligned with. At least initially. When GW saw that the rules made it hard to align with some races and thus they didn't sell well, GW changed the rules. So they could play with any race. That sort of killed it for Dogs of War.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If I'd have to guess they stand out too much among the current chaos lines. There's nothing else that's anywhere near as mutated and mutilated in their line-up.The only thing that comes close are some nurgle units. Everyone else tends to have a much more uhm "healthy"? appearance. Or at least is fully mutated in the case of something like chaos spawn. These are halfway between daemon & human which you don't really see in any other unit except maybe for gutrot spume and blightkings. And especially the slaves of darkness/old warriors of chaos were relativly light on mutations and mostly appeared human, so keeping them in that list would be weird.

Aginor likes this.
  20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Man, so jealous. I miss my Hobgoblin Wolf Riders. They had weird rules initially, but were surprisingly kick-ass for what they were. :D

WildColonial Boy likes this.