1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Why do the Old Ones hate me?

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Deathfrisbee2000, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Alright, so I don't seem to be having much luck with my Lizardmen. So far, I've played 4 battles, and only won 1 of them.

1st Battle: 500 points gainst Vampire Counts first time player. He didn't stick his general in a unit. I achieved a first round victory because my terradons dropped rocks on him. Enemy dead.

2nd Battle: 500 points vs. Lizardmen. Battle Mission was Breaking Point. My saurus unit (with my general attached) engage his saurus and loses combat by 1. Cold Blooded leadership check came up three 6s. I then proceeded to flee 2 inches. Of course they caught me, and dead general = breaking point = lost game.

3rd Battle: 500 points vs. High Elves. Again, Breaking Point. This time my dice decide not to roll anything higher than a 4 the entire battle, no exaggeration. I'm dead.

4th Battle: 500 points vs. Skaven. The guy took two battle-busses of slaves. One had a Warlord, one had a warlock engineer. First I have to say, 1/2 a point for shields? Really? Anyway, I was feeling lucky because my priest rolled Chain-Lightning. However, the three times I got to use it, I caused 1 wound, 1 wound, and then 2 wounds. None of those times did it decide to leap to his neighboring mass of slaves. Then his warlock engineer shot some giant template weapon into the middle of my saurus killing them all.

I'm a little discouraged because of my lack of success. I don't really count the first win because the guy made such a rookie mistake, especially for his army.

What to do? Maybe I should melt down one of my dice, in front of all the others so they can watch and learn what happens to my dice that don't roll well. That'll teach 'em.

--DF2K

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you have displeased the dice gods. Keep at it, that won't always happen. Also, as you move up in point value, that will not happen. Here recently, it seems to me that I lose quite alot (primary opponents are skaven, Brettonia, and HE). So, I take the littel victories that I can. For example:

Skrox unit down to 1 skink and 3 krox. Test for ld need double 1s. I roll 3 1s!

or

Empire pisotliers kill a salamander and all the handlers (leaving a lone sally who makes his ld test). Then runs around the pistoliers burning the unit out of existance.

Stuff like that makes this game fun for me.

3. ShivanAngel
    Skink

ShivanAngel New Member

Lizardmen are pretty horrible at low point games....

keep trying tho!

4. Raithial
    Saurus

Raithial New Member

also one tip: if you're not really feeling very lucky: don't attack ogres... o.o, it hurts. trust me
    I battled ogres last friday... I got hammered,
    and with a dicethrow like mine.... ouch... roll 11 dice, end up with one 4 and ten 1's... yes, ten 1's oAo. I truly hope nobody for the rest of the next 300 years has that kind of bad luck 0A0

5. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

In the fourth battle against skaven, your error was keeping chain lightning as a spell. You would have done more good if you had taken the signature spell, blizzard. Chain lightning is good for killing small units of very tough troops, which skaven don't really have. Casting it on slaves makes your opponent very happy.

Blizzard is great because cast on a warmachine, the machine can't fire unless it first rolls a 4+, which may have saved you from destruction (warp lightning cannon?) It can also be used to penalize enemy hit rate and Leadership, both of which could turn the tide in a small game. Hit the general's unit with -1 Ld and then Salamander him. Remember, if slaves break from combat they do not run away, they just get wiped out as the unit scurries in every direction. So again giving them -1 to hit in combat and then -1 leadership could very well lead to a combat/game win. If he has a BSB go after that unit first.