1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. WOC help

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by GreenMachine, Aug 20, 2014.

1. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

Hey guys, I'm completely new at lizardmen (switching over from O&G's) and I'm attending my first tournament with them. I've been picturing scenarios in my head and I just don't know how to deal with chimeras (much less chimeraS) at first I was confident about using spirit leech on them, but after reading the FAQ arguments I'm not so sure about that. What else does the Lizardmen army have that can take care of these things?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

BIG MONSTER EHH...

Usualy solution for that is kill it with poison.

:jimlad:
    :chicken:

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Unfortunately Scaly Skin 4+ and a cheap upgrade to get Regeneration 4+ too means poison shooting isn't that spectacular. That means we are pretty much stuck with using magic.

I would advise a WD Slann or High Magic Slann and use a combination of Searing Doom and Spirit Leech (THEN break out the poisoned shooting to finish it off).

A Carnosaur, a pack of Kroxigor, or Scar Veteran Cowboys with great weapons can kill a Chimera (or Chimera-like monster) relatively easily but the hard part is getting your monster killing unit into close combat with it since the Chimera is flying, it can usually choose it's battles.

As a plan of last resort, a unit of Temple Guard will be able to take down a Chimera but at a fairly heavy cost. I wouldn't try this without a minimum of 26 TG and you would want either the Banner of Eternal Flame or Razor Standard.

4. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

WD Slann and boosted Shems is where it is at! Also Spirit leech when the general is not within 12 inch.

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Templeguards with razor and flaming banner + bastiladon nearby will do 3,3 wounds each combat phase to a chimera. It'll still kill quite a few guards, but it only have 1 turn to do so due to I2 vs I3.

6. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Also, if you have a Bastiladon, shoot the lazer at the chimera before the Temple Guard fight it. It may only have 3 wounds left by the time it gets into combat!

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

While unlikely the bast actually have a chance to one-shoot it. Rolling a 6 will do 2D6 S6 flaming ~ 4.6 wounds with no armour save nor regeneration ^^

8. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Check out my most recent battle in my battle report thread.
    3 chimeras.
    Poison was pointless.
    Charge with carno or stag.

9. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

WD Slann could put a hurt on it.

Otherwise, Steg is good. Baby Steg + Bast combo shines here.

10. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

You take Flaming Bolas on your terradons, right?

11. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Heh. o_o Something just occured to me:

Lizards have no access to Regen (none whatsoever), and possibly the fewest Regen workarounds.

THE NATURALLY REGENERATIVE LIZARDPEOPLE HAVE NO ACCESS TO REGEN! >_<

We are an army of fools. :( /whiteflag

Anyway, turbo-Shem's + Basti are good options here.

50% chance to generate 2d6 S5 sun lasers could likely see the Chim dead.

Could go crazy and get a nekkid Skink Chief w/ Eternal Flame in a cohort poison dart.

That's a ton of attacks if you can get in the flank - good chance of scoring a couple wounds, albeit it through a committed plan.

Just for emphasis:

Baby Steg + Basti tandem works wonders. I'ce pickled a couple Chims without taking any damage in this way.

Being able to rely on more than just Impact Hits is huge, even if it's only 4 (or 5) attacks. It's much better than nothing (as has often been the case for me).

12. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

Thanks guys, there were a few ideas that I hadn't thought of. Luckily, I do have a bastilidon, so I'll try to get a shot or two off with that. I figured that poison s3 wouldn't do squat to that thing.

I have one baby steg in my army, but getting the charge off on a flier means either my opponent doesn't position very well or I'm taking a charge with steadfast troops and then hitting it the next turn.

Shem's is a really good idea. But, I was trying to find a way that didn't invovle magic as I wanted redundancy.

13. GhostWarrior
    Cold One

GhostWarrior Member

Also - Don't forget that these guys are EXTREMELY vulnerable to Panic (@ Ld5). Not always the easiest thing to use, but it generally takes a very skilled WoC player to keep that in mind all the time, whilst still preventing both the Chimera(s) and the Deamon Prince/Disc Lord/BSB from being shot at/charged themselves.

14. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Yeah, most cases will see you having to redirect or tie it up for sure. WoC is just insanely fast.

The Bastiladon's potentially lethal Solar Engine + I3 Baby Steg has been clutch for me against Chimeras.

Bonus points for a combo-charge! Extra points for protecting the Steg's flank with the Bastiladon.

WD/Shadow Slann with cheapo Melkoth's targeted @ Chim's WS is a smart move that could have you hitting on 3's (even the worst Misama roll keeps the WS4 Chim from hitting you on 3's).

That's also going to save you some power dice! You won't have to turbo-cast Melkoth's & dually target its Initiative with the Bastiladon around.

Honestly, you could even get a nice Giant Bow shot in (18" puts you under half-range and at the border of the Chim's charge range). This is basically the only time that the bow is relevant.

Mount a Skink Chief w/ BSB (Eternal Flame) on top for giggles. xD

Don't do that - I'm just kidding. I mean, you could if you feel like it. I've done it!

37"~ diameter Stand Your Ground is nice to have for a matchup as brutal as this.

It's fun and effective, but not very smart overall. >_> Pretty risky. I should know.

Flaming Poisoned DinoCow-mounted Bolt Thrower is just sillycool. Hard to resist. :D

Better idea with the same principle?

BSB Blowpipe Skink Chief w/ Eternal Flame in a Skirmisher squad or a poisoned Cohort. Cohort's best imo, especially with a Krox in there.

Congratulations: your poison is relevant again!

Against a Prince, just take the Skink Chief out of the squad and hide him. I think he dies if you elect to Flee. Keep the Prince in mind if you decide to do this.

When the Regen falls to flaming in the Shooting Phase, then fire away!

The difficulty curve in this matchup is ridiculous though. WoC can basically move up the board and win.

Not even enjoyable to play against cheesy lists like those, imo.

15. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

BSBs (and regular standard bearers) only auto die if broken from combat. They can elect to flee all they want (just don't get caught)!

16. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks man. :)

Hope I've helped!