1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Zultak Stormscales' Hunting Party (500-1000-1500)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Stormscales, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Stormscales
    Saurus

Stormscales Active Member

Here are three fairly similar lists: rather speed-based, with a hard core of mounted Sauruses surrounded by a swarm of Skinks. The huge units of Skinks are there to whittle down the enemy, capture objectives, and disrupt movements to make sure my Sauruses charge first and don't get flanked too early.

500 points:

100 - Scar-Veteran on Cold One - Relic Blade, Reckless
    100 - 5 Cold One Knights, blades
    200 - 40 Skinks, boltspitters, clubs

Notes: This is a fairly high model count for a 500-pt list, thanks to the bargain price on full-strength units of Skinks. I know there's something to be said about having two smaller units of Skinks instead of a big one, but they would lose their precious +2 bonus to hit; Old Ones know they need it.

1000 points:

260 - Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur - warblade (Relic Blade), Reckless
    200 - 40 Skinks, boltspitters, clubs
    140 - 3 Ripperdactyls
    80 - 2 Razordons

Notes: Not sure about the two Razordons at the end of the list; they're mostly a gap-filler for the remaining 100 points. I would prefer another unit of Cold One Knights, but I don't have the models. Would a Priest, Starpriest or 10-skink unit be a better choice than the Razors? I could also remove one Razor, replace the Scar-Vet on Carnie with a Scar-Vet on Cold One, and add an extra 40-skink unit.

My main concern with this list is that, with 7 separate units, I am unlikely to choose who gets first turn.

1500 points:

110 - Firelance Starhost
    • 260 - Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur - warblade (Relic Blade), Reckless
    • 100 - 5 Cold One Knights, blades
    170 - Shadowstrike Starhost
    • 80 - Skink Priest with priestly trappings
    • 200 - 40 Skinks, boltspitters, clubs
    • 200 - 40 Skinks, boltspitters, clubs
    • 140 - 3 Ripperdactyls
    40 - Razordon

Notes: Again with a Razordon as a gap-filler. Are starhosts still worth it despite the spike in their price? Without the starhosts I could save 280 points, the price of a Bastiladon. On the other hand, with only three things to put on the table, I have a pretty good chance to choose who goes first.

Though the Priest is part of the Shadowstrike Starhost, he'll stick closer to the Firelance Starhost.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Joshmunga
    Skink

Joshmunga Member

Taking a Skink Starpriest instead of the regular priest would also be a good idea since he could buff the bite attacks of a unit in the firelance battalion. The double damage on the cold-one jaws and the carnosaur bite is pretty nice. The list is pretty awesome though! Also, adding a Slann allows you to quickly upgrade to the new Dracothian's Tail battalion (which i personally love).

Captaniser likes this.
  3. Stormscales
    Saurus

Huh, for some reason I'd never even noticed the Serpent Staff ability on the warscroll. Pretty nifty. Would double damage on the Carnosaur's bite mean 2D3 damage, or D3 x2 damage?

Might consider a Slann in 2000 points, but I don't have the model yet.

4. Joshmunga
    Skink

Joshmunga Member

Haha yeah it's a pretty great ability!! The answer to the true nature of doubling the damage is probably somewhere in the FAQ (which I have not read), though I feel as if it is D3 x2! I also don't have a Slann yet but that it is definitely going to be my next purchase.

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Not quite sure about the damage multiplication, but I think I read it in some FAQ and it said that doubling 1d3 becomes 2d3

Joshmunga likes this.
  6. Kaalmeryje
    Jungle Swarm

Kaalmeryje New Member

Hello

I have a question regarding the Knights: What do you think about lance on them. Expecially on a firelance starhost, so any 6 deal 2 Mortal Wound ?

7. Aginor
    Slann

I use lances for that esxact reason. A Scar-Veteran near improves that chance even more.
    ....and with the new teleport ability we can teleport them out of combat and back in, to get that charge bonus more often. Maybe that makes them more useful. Oh, and of course they got cheaper which is also fine.

That being said: IMO it is ridiculous that Saurus Knights are the only unit in the game that doesn't get 2" range when using lances. That sucks since it makes them considerably worse in big groups.

8. Stormscales
    Saurus

They're pretty good. It's tough to mathhammer what's better between blades and lances, since you have to estimate how many turns they'll be charging vs. continuing a fight already in progress. I mostly use the blades for appearance, simplicity, and ease of transportation. This, combined with the trouble of re-equiping painted models, means lances would have to be unquestionably better than blades for me to consider replacing my blades with lances.

I don't know about that. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, given they cannot charge on the turn they teleport.

9. Joshmunga
    Skink

Joshmunga Member

They can't charge after being teleported out of combat? Does it count as a retreat??

10. Stormscales
    Saurus

Away from books at the moment, but IIRC, no unit can move or charge on the turn they get teleported (unless you roll a 6, in which case the unit can move but still cannot charge).

Even if I'm mistaken and they can charge after teleportation, you must still set them up more than 9 inches away from the enemy. A 9-inch charge means putting more faith in my dice than I'm comfortable with. The best case scenario would be to get two consecutive turns, but I wouldn't bank on that, either.

11. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the teleportation ability says that the MOVEMENT phase gets used when teleporting, not the charging phase!

12. Joshmunga
    Skink

Joshmunga Member

but they would still have to roll a 6 AND make the 9 inch charge? i guess it is pretty unlikely still

13. Stormscales
    Saurus

Reading the book, I see they can charge after being teleported, but may only move in the Movement phase if the Slann rolled a 6.

So on a 1: unit fails to teleport, and cannot move or charge.
    On a 2-5: unit teleported, cannot move, can charge but must do so from 9 inches away.
    On a 6: unit teleported, can move and charge.

So yeah, odds aren't favorable unless you have a Starseer and/or make your charge in proximity to the Saurus Scar-Vet from the Firelance Starhost to get that precious +3 inches.

Anyway, while Slanns are better than they used to be, I don't think I'll take one.

Joshmunga likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

About that charge: Yes, they can charge after being teleported.
    That might not be too great without a bataillon, but if you teleport a Knights unit from a Firelance and their Scar-Vet is close (and he is the general), and maybe get a buff from the constellation "Hunter's Steed" you almost cannot fail. A charge with 4 bonus and rerollable ones is pretty likely to make those 9". On 2d6 the mathematical average normally is 7, with those buffs it is better than 11.
    That's one of the cases where I'd make a Saurus my general (Scar-Vet on Cold One) despite taking the Slann. After the first charge you can teleport one unit out of the fight each turn and let it charge back in.

Joshmunga likes this.
  15. skipperyoss
    Cold One

skipperyoss Active Member

You really like Saurus Knights!

I don't know what models you have, but you could run a bloodclaw starhost and stack Cowboys to give all the Cold Ones 3 more attacks each (15) per squad.

I find that to work better than trying to roll 6's with the Lances for 2 mortal wounds. The only upside the Firelance has is the +3 to charge. Meanwhile the Bloodclaw also nets you the Saurus Oldbloods command ability which you can use for a 3" move or give a Saurus Cowboy more attacks.

16. Aginor
    Slann

I don't have enough Saurus to effectively run a Bloodclaw (I lack Warriors and don't have a Sunblood either) otherwise I would do exactly that.
    I mostly run Skink armies.

Hmmm you got me thinking...

I could theoretically run this Bloodclaw list but it is a bit mediocre, especially because it makes it at least two drops (if you take the risk and remove the Skink Priest and the Razordon and summon them in turn 1 or so, then you have only the Bataillon and the Slann)

Allegiance: Order
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (280)
    - Artefact: Prism of Amyntok
    Saurus Oldblood (100)
    - Suntooth Maul
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    - Artefact: Coronal Shield
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Vast Intellect
    Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    20 x Saurus Warriors (200)
    - Spears
    15 x Saurus Guard (300)
    15 x Saurus Knights (300)
    - Lances
    1 x Razordons (40)
    Bloodclaw Starhost (200)

Total: 2000/2000

17. skipperyoss
    Cold One

skipperyoss Active Member

You don't need all the different heroes. 3 Scar Vet Cold Ones satisfies it.

18. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah I know. I just don't have more than one. That list is literally the only combination of Bloodclaw that I can play with the models I have. :D

19. Stormscales
    Saurus

Wait, do those bonuses stack? I never knew that.

I'm not familiar with the Bloodclaw Starhost. I only have the Seraphon rulebook and both the old and the new General's Handbook.

@ Aginor: IMO your list's model count is too low for 2,000 points. Then again I don't know how it plays, I've been taken off-guard before by armies I vastly outnumbered.

20. Aginor
    Slann

I was also astonished to hear those bonuses stack, but that's seems to be the way it is played.

As for your comment on my list: I agree. That's pretty much the reason why I don't play Bloodclaw. It needs lots of Saurus Warriors and I don't have those.