1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2400 - All-comers winner list or Master of none?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by laribold, Jun 18, 2015.

1. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

Hi all,

Been tinkering around with my list and trying lots of different things (no Slann, Skrox units, Scar-Vet spam) but keep finding that I'm coming unstuck against various things from various armies.

Given that solid blocks of infantry was what drew me to Lizards in the first place, I've decided to go back towards that and have come up with the following list.

Slann Mage Priest
    Focus of Mystery, Dispel Scroll, Soul of Stone

Saurus Scar Veteran BSB
    Skavenpelt Banner, Shield, Light armour

Saurus Scar Veteran
    Sword of Swift Slaying, Potion of Strength, Enchanted Shield, Light armour

Skink Chief
    Dragonhelm, Luckstone, Shield, Spear, Light armour, Terradon

31 Saurus Warriors
    Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Command

12 Skinks
    Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers
    Javelin and Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers
    Javelin and Shields

Bastiladon
    Solar Engine

20 Temple Guard
    Full Command, Razor Standard
    6 Kroxigor

3 Razordons

I'm hoping that there's enough in here to deal with whatever gets thrown at me from any list, rather than being too much of a jack-of-all trades and being not good enough at anyone thing.
    Some thoughts:

Bastilodon's Solar Engine is there to help the Slann by drawing dispel dice and protect vs I test spells.

I'm also liking my Razordons which are there to give me a longer range threat than skinks (especially against those pesky avoidance lists). They've done good service to date both in shooting and combat.

I'm still trying to get my Krox to work. They're there for anti-armour and anti-monster duty, but they do have a habit of being targeted or outmanoeuvered. Could drop these (which would make me sad) for increased Razordon herd and some more character support (cowboy/OB?). I'd be worried that dropping them would leave me only 2 real combat units and a certain amount of mobility though...

Still not quite sure between FoM or WD on the Slann, but I thought I'd stick with High Magic for now and see how things go. Lack of a scroll caddy means I can't get the Power Scroll on the Slann for Fiery Convocation fun (maybe this is where my Krox points could go?)

BSB Scar Vet turns the TG into a lawnmower. Love it (but I realise the TG unit it a touch on the small size)

Foot Scar vet gives the Saurus added bite and the ability to give characters/monsters a bloody nose. I really feel he is needed here.

So, thoughts/comments/critiques? Happy to hear them.

2. Irish_Lizard
    Saurus

Irish_Lizard Member

Why not cut the bsb vet and put the bsb and banner on the slann instead of a poor save, 2w model? This also adds the points to bump the TG up to 26.

3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Yeah, i really agree with @Irish_Lizard , why not put the BSB on your Slann? It is such a stupendously good feature of our army that we can have the general and BSB in one, with a model that is already super well defended anyway,, why pass up on that? The channel combo should also work well in this list to really finish your Slann of to be a power house. Give him the +1 ld banner to go completely meta, btw. ;)

Also cut those 10 skinks with full command, what worthwhile things will they do exactly? Make them skirmishers without command, or do not have them at all.

Some funny item builds as well, i am not a fan of potions myself as they scream to your enemy, look, i am going to charge with this unit this turn,, it is to expensive for what it brings.

4. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

Cheers for the input, guys.

Having your Slann as BSB just seems so... limiting. He's now basically tied to one unit that's worth upwards of 900pts. It's a massive target sign saying shoot/magic the crap out of me please.
    Frankly my Slann shouldn't be anywhere near combat unless things have gone super badly already. Plus I've found having him in my TG block impacts my magic phase waaay too much. The prospect of miscasting (easily done even on 3 dice) and then 50% of the time crippling my own elite unit too much to countenance. I know there's ways to counter it, but it means adding even more eggs into this basket.
    There's also the challenge issue. Big, nasty character gets into your TG and challenges. What now? Accept with your Level 4, General and BSB model? Hold him off for one turn with your champion (what about next turn), or refuse the challenge and lose both your BSB and Inspiring Presence benefits... At the very least, if my BSB doesn't fancy a scrap, my TG will still be able to use the Ld9 of the Slann (as will the rest of my less than great Ld troops)
    I'm sure it works for others, but I've never had anything but bad experiences with it.

Plus, I'm pretty wedded to the Skavenpelt Banner. It turns TG into mincing machines and my Scar Vet BSB has only been killed in combat once (against a Wand of Whimsy powered up Lord of Change) and I'm not really blaming him for that.

The small cohort unit is there simply to provide a banner for B&G and to fulfill Core. Simple as that. They can still run interference and chuck poisoned sticks like a Skirmisher unit but just lack a wee bit in movement.

The ASF sword, PoS SV has done me proud on a number of occasions. I never declare the PoS before I charge unless I'm 100% he'll get into combat. With T5 and a 2+ save he can normally survive a first round of combat (with maybe my champ taking a challenge). 2nd round of combat he can drink the PoS and all of a sudden someone is taking S8 hits. Which is often enough to kill a character/monster/Monstrous Cav and/or cause enough wounds to win combat. The ASF sword also helps mitigate the woeful Initiative of the Saurus (and takes rerolls away from those pesky elves!)

Keep the pointers coming though!

5. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

Just an update on this...

I've tinkered with the list and am running a Flyblood (2+;4++; GW) and a Lvl1 Heavens caddy, instead of the Krox and Chief on Terradon.

It's making me a bit sad to lose the Krox and spend so many points on characters, but the manoeuverability and threat range of the Flyblood have been really useful so far, even if he's not had to do much in combat yet. I'm a bit worried about him taking down monsters with only 5 attacks and being Stompable, but I'll carry on with him I think.

The Bastilodon has been something of a revelation! The Beam of Chotec is a nice, easily castable MM that makes a lot of opponents worry and as a result they seem to target the Basti with an awful lot of incoming fire. For 150pts he seems well worth the hassle he causes to my opponent.

And Elves do NOT like Razordons (especially not HoG buffed Razordons) :)