1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2k Saurus-Focused army feat. Eternal Starhost

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by ChapterAquila92, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Heyo, ChapterAquila92 here!

Recently, I've been taking a step back from summoning for my seraphon army and instead going for something more... direct.

Cue this 1990pt army comprised mostly of saurus that includes a modestly-sized Eternal Starhost:

Leader
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240pts)
    Celestite War-spear
    Ghyrstrike​

Astrolith Bearer (160pts)

Battleline
    Saurus Warriors (x40) (360pts)
    Celestite Spears​

Saurus Knights (x15) (270pts)
    Celestite Lances​

Skink Skirmishers (x10) (60pts)
    Meteoric Javelins and Star-bucklers​

Other
    Kroxigors (x3) (160pts)
    Moon Hammer
    Drakebite Mauls​

Battalion Warscroll
    Eternal Starhost (150pts)

Eternity Warden (140pts)
    Star-Stone Mace
    Blade of Hammerhal-Gyran​

Saurus Guard (x10) (180pts)

Saurus Guard (x10) (180pts)

Saurus Guard (x5) (90pts)

So far, I've fielded this list against Kharadron Overlords, Moonclan Grots, and Beasts of Chaos, with mixed results.

I've been getting a lot better with fielding the scar-vet in this list. Still reliant on LoSaT to get him in position, especially against particularly mobile armies like Moonclan, but once he starts getting kills and making use of the carnosaur's Blood Roar ability, he's consistently made up for the points cost. Ghyrstrike is especially useful for hitting on 3+ and wounding on 2+, with nothing to say about the astrolith bearer nearby allowing him to reroll failed hits.

The kroxigors, practically my only reason for taking a unit of skinks in this army, have also had their shining moments as well. With skink support, they wiped the floor with a particularly bothersome arkanaut company, and against the beastmen army, my opponent wasn't pleased to see most of a 30-gor unit disappear over the course of 1 combat activation to the three of them being buffed by both the skinks and the astrolith bearer (in a Grudge Match game, no less).

The knights fared about as well as I'd have expected as someone who doesn't use cavalry often, either getting shot to hell by volleys of cannon fire or on the unfortunate end of a really lucky moonclan fanatic combat roll. The lances aren't helping matters either, as I'm finding the 6+ mortal wound roll on the charge to be too situational for a weapon that is otherwise worse than maces.

The Eternal Starhost as a whole is a hit or miss, depending on the deployment and game type. At large though, due to the wording of the individual warscrolls and the battalion itself, the eternity warden is ironically the weakest part of the starhost. You'd think that as bodyguards the temple guard would actually improve the armour save of a nearby hero, and a loose reading of the temple guard warscroll might give that impression, but sadly he gets sniped a little too easily.

As my fellow players at the table pointed out, it'd probably be better for me to downsize the knight unit to 10 and use them as a support unit instead of a dedicated flanker. Other suggestions included trying to work in another 40 saurus warriors with spears, possibly at the expense of the kroxigors and skinks if not the temple guard.

Thoughts, queries, concerns?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah I also think that getting 15 Knights into melee will often be a problem. Downsizing them could be a good idea.

As for the Eternity Warden: if he gets sniped often, then perhaps you should give him another artefact, like one that makes him more durable. There are a few that give -1 to hit for enemies and so on, that might help.