1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40K movie

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by asrodrig, Sep 30, 2009.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

So if you haven't heard yet, they're making a movie about the Ultramarines. :rolleyes: Oh joy.
    I don't know about you, but I think it's going to suck like absolute garbage.
    Here's my thinking: a straight-to-DVD movie about the done-to-death Ultramarines by the same guys as who made the Bionicle movie can't possibly be worth anybody's time.
    But don't take my word for it; check it out for yourself!
    http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/

2. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Wow. Occasionally I think, "Hey wouldn't it be cool if they made a Warhammer movie?"

Then I remember movies need plots, and drop the notion.

It seems GW has just found a great way to throw away their money.

And there are 4 Bionicle movies.

*EDIT* juiced up the "4".
    Yes, I only just discovered the font size changer-thingy now, after 200ish posts.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah I read about that last night.. There is absolutely no information as far as I can tell, not even a predicted release date or couple of screenshots or anything.

I'm going to reserve judgement at least until I see a cast list and a short trailer. I gotta agree though, those Ultramarines sure get most of the pie.

4. ColdBlood666
    Chameleon Skink

ColdBlood666 New Member

Yes it will suck indeed. Some things are simply ruined when they are taken into a huge spotlight such as Hollywood. Like Doom for example, it was a great classic video game for many years, but now it has been negatively stigmatized to the point that it is laughable simply because of the sorry attempt at a movie some knucklehead tried to acheive.

A warhammer 40k movie may attract a new genre of gamers however which may fatten GW wallet. However, that is nearly the only positive to be gained if you ask me.

At worst it may ruin warhammer 40k's rep so badly that the kids that play it on lunch break in the library will now be ridiculed to the point of not daring to be seen with codex: space marines in study hall anymore.
    That is a drastic perhaps overimagined consenquence.

Id watch it. But I am not optimistic.

5. Act of God
    Jungle Swarm

Act of God New Member

Does anybody have any information on the company making the film? I've tried to find information surrounding Codex Pictures, they apparently worked on the Bionicle films, but when I look up those movies they are all accredited to one Creative Capers Entertainment. I also can't find any information about them aside from the news that they are doing a 40k movie based on the Ultramarines, and their own website has almost no information.

Bionicle 1
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369281/companycredits

Bionicle 2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387658/companycredits

Bionicle 3
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471588/companycredits

6. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

my initial reaction was that it was a hoax

7. strewart
    OldBlood

I've never heard of Codex Pictures before...

It could be a hoax, but GW were handing out promo cards about it at GD UK and it has a proper website. Pretty elaborate for a hoax. On the other hand, GW are usually not ones to get everyone hyped up until like 3 weeks before release so it is a little out of character for them.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

So a year and a couple of months on... Has anyone else watched Ultramarines yet? I watched it with a friend last night. My thoughts? I haven't laughed so hard in a movie in a long long time, my friend and I were literally in tears for much of it!

Except it wasn't meant to be a comedy..... Possibly the worst movie I have EVER seen, the animation was shocking, the story was rediculous, the characters had absolutely no depth at all, and 70% of the movie was just Space Marines marching and shooting off quotes from the codex and rulebook, or standing in a ship shooting off quotes! The one fight scene had nothing on the Dawn of War intro. Wow. Really, I expected very little of the movie so I was pleasantly surprised at how many laughs the stupidity provided. Not worth paying a cent for, but just to see how rubbish it is, its worth the mere 70 minutes of your life it goes for.

9. Mister Blak
    Skink

Mister Blak New Member

I'd give it a 60%. a good first try, with reasonable acting and animation. i hope they make another, larger scale one with sicarius and guardsmen and nids.
    why sicarius? because he already has an established character and i like vorolanus.

ultrasmusrfs were a good choice: they are by far the most popular army.