1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A question about Charging & what happens in the next movement phase.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Canas, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I have a question about charing.

I was playing through a game & ended up in a situation where I could charge with a unit of 20 models. Now If I directly charged into my opponent only about 5 would actually be in a position where they could attack, but if I charged slightly of to the side I could position them in such a way that my fairly large unit would be in between 2 fairly small units (a unit of 3 retributors and one of 5 liberators) allowing me to get much more soldiers involved in the fighting.

Now my question is; is this legal? Or are you suppsed to only be in range of the unit you declared you were charging?

I also have another question. After the battle phase for that round was over and casualties had been removed from the field two or three models in that unit ended up sorta standing around out of range of the fight. What are they allowed to do in the next movement & charging phase? Are they allowed to encircle the enemy they are fighting (provided it's within moving range for the models), are they supposed to charge in order to attempt to encircle? Or do they just sort of awkwardly stand there until someone retreats or one of the units gets destroyed?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

For the charging you have as much movement as the dice gives you, if that means you can swing it so that you can pile into multiple units then that is perfectly legal.

For the next one if the entire unit is retreating then you must try to get them within one inch of another model in the unit. if they can't they can't move. If you are staying in combat you can't move but they can pile in again moving 3" to the nearest enemy unit.

m0gstar likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Mm, wasn't sure given that you end up going into the control zone of multiple units, though I guessed as much.

Ah ok, I forgot about the piling in, that does give some leeway to reform ranks and reply to some changes after a fight.

m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Another little detail from what you said, you don't actually have to declare the unit you are charging into. You simply declare a charge and see what units your roll allows you to reach :)

m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

That sounds slightly weird, going for a charge without knowing whereto. But yea, makes sense.