1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Age of Sigmar hate?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by PurpleandGold, Feb 10, 2017.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I feel that is a fair criticism of Fantasy. The uber spells definitely needed to be toned down. Lizardmen and the infamous Purple Sun is a prime example.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh to be honest I'd like more magic, but magic that actuall involves tactics and interaction. Not just throwing dice at eachother. E.g. It's much more interesting to go: "you cast doomspell X, so I cast shield Y so you cast debuff Z so I cast bufff Q" than to pray an unbinding roll stops the big spell of doom from annihlating your army... similarly, magic doesn't need to do mortal wounds. But this is more of an issue with mortal wounds being increadibly common in general and magic "needing" them to stay competitive with the normal abilities... Hell magic could even largely be focussed on control & shaping the battlefield instead of murdering your opponent and it'd be amazing. Go look at some of the suggestions I and others have made in the general handbook mk II thread. There's plenty you can do with magic without immeadiatly making it "I summon a meteor on your face and now you're dead".

MerciaBear likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, my opinion is not necessarily the truth... ;)

I agree on the part of certain infamous 8th spells. They were one of the most broken things in the game.

Regarding AoS... yes, i can share your concerns. However it must be said that the game is evolving constantly.
    Tzeentch has always been a magic-focused army, so it only makes sense to underline that aspect.
    Since the first release of AoS, a tzeentch army can drown you in mortal wounds spam.
    Then they introduced the rule of one, nerfing many magic strategies (including Tzeentch)
    And now the Lords of change are coming back stronger than before... until the next turning of the table.

I just hope that, sooner or later, there will be some countermeasure for the mortal wounds spam (which is now the new trend, and that can be delivered in so many ways it hurts)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Cracks Call wasn't very fun either. I've lost several Dino's to that spell.

That said you really had to be on your toes in the magic phase on both teams. A miscast was usually pretty awful.

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Cracks Call? ... Pit of Shades? o_O

Bowser likes this.
  6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

@NIGHTBRINGER No, it's a Skaven spell. It's a 4d6 straight line of pass initiative test or die kind of thing. Very similar to Purple Sun.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hahaha... I should have known it was those vile vermin. Haven't had much chance to play against Skaven. Took a look at the spell, not as bad as Purple Sun but still nasty for our poor initiative Lizzies
    Which Dinos? Our dinos are actually our best protected units against initiative tests since you get to use the Skink's initiative when testing for Stegadons, Bastiladons, Troglodons, Terradons and Rippers. Razordons and Salamanders are also sporting initiative 4. If you have a Solardon in range then you are only failing 1 in 6 times. Definitely possible, but I'm surprised you lost so many Dinos to that spell.

8. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Mainly my Stegs and Carnos. I liken it to bad dice rolls, lol. I even lost one with my awesome Snake Eye custom dice :(

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  9. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

With me, I lost units to Infernal Gateway everytime I went against my boyfriend and his Warriors of Chaos. Everytime, all my units die horribly to it.

But since the rising of AoS he refused to play a game, now I do the rare game with a Wood Elf/Sylvaneth player.
    Reminds me, I need to arrange another game, but I think Alarielle will be the new 'infernal gateway' for me. Who knows, I haven't battled her yet.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Is he still playing 8th or has he shifted to another game or quit entirely?

It's a pretty good spell, but very random. Plus in the latest edition it lost the ability to auto wipe unit. The warpflame special rule is also problematic for the WoC player because he/she can end up granting your unit a regen save.

All in all, I'd say it can be an extremely potent spell... but there are far worse. As far as WoC spells go, Cacophonic Choir is often considered to be the best uber spell.

11. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

He only plays 40k now, he tries to drag me into Mordheim but I'm not interested. So yeah he quitted for now, waiting to see what the dwarfs are like when they come out.

I think all my gaming experience was with Warriors of Chaos, so I gradually learned that he will spam that spell. Maybe my luck was bad, how even my monsters got wiped out so easily.

12. Lachlin
    Cold One

Lachlin Well-Known Member

My only criticism with AoS is mortal wounds. Specifically thr current meta of mortal wound spamming.

Ecozh likes this.
  13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

When!!?!!

...are Warhammer players ever going to learn to write their own rules?
    • If summoning is a huge problem create house rules that are an effective and fair counter.
    • If mortal wound machine guns are a huge problem create a house rule that is an effective and fair counter.
    Treat the models like you own them! rather than acting like GW owns you. :mad:
    [/rant]

Warden likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That doesn't work in many situations. Game system aside, most players don't like to play with unofficial rules. In addition, making changes to rule sets always carries with it the inherent problem that the changes will benefit some armies over others.

That said, if everyone in a particular gaming group agrees to the changes, then definitely go for it.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Lachlin
    Cold One

Lachlin Well-Known Member

Yes because the mortal wound slinging cheese dicks in the local scene will certainly agree to use any homegrown house rule that negates their love for slinging mortal wounds around.

16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Most players would prefer to be tournament ready, some will enjoy house rules, but most tournaments will have very few if any house rules. Having and using the points system is set up for tournament style play. Though a lot of leagues will allow a lot more house ruling, but the point of those is building a community and sales. Free play is still available as well as start collecting grow leagues, and path to glory campaigns.
    Players need to evolve with the game. There are a lot of factions that are basically support factions. Those should be used to expand your army to either deliver or defend mortal wounds and other hard to deal with mechanics. Even if you modify those to fit into your faction. As long as it is clear to your opponent which warscroll you are using, most have no problems with this, even in the tournament scene.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If only we were experienced game-balancers and could oversee the consequences of our actions with only a few games played :p

In all seriousness though, I'd expect most people who play casually to do it to some degree. E.g. I'd guess that most players won't moan if you want to play your starter set with 12 warriors and don't want to pay for 20 warriors of points. But a lot of effects are too complicated to balance easily by just going "Il do X instead". Plus, playtesting isn't all that fun for most players.. they just want to play, not test your new rules...

Take mortal wounds, what do you do with them? Rule of one for spells? That just results in fairly useless wizards, plus magic doesn't seem to be the worst offender anyways. What about replacing it by normal wounds? What is the equivalent of D3 mortal wounds? D6 normal wounds? 2D3? 2D3 with rend -2? What if you end up facing largely unarmoured troops anyway? Or largely armoured troops? What if a lot of em have rend protection? it's easy enough to come up with ideas, but quite difficult to actually figure out what works.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    NIGHTBRINGER, Lachlin and Bowser like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Precisely!

Additionally, how many of us can say we are free bias? It's tough to implement rules because it's often going carry with it the feeling that someone is trying to enhance their army/position. You need a really experienced and tight knit group to make it work effectively.

tom ndege, Canas and Bowser like this.