1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Aginor's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aginor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

May the great horned rat protect-protect you all-all

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

LizardWizard, Lizerd and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Also painted these today.
    20200329_001550.jpg 20200329_004122.jpg

5. Aginor
    Slann

6. Aginor
    Slann

Another WIP.
    Slow progress but progress nonetheless.
    20200405_223028.jpg

7. Aginor
    Slann

I kinda stalled with the pyramid.
    Got distracted by playing Dirt Rally 2.0 online, TWW2 offline, playing D&D, and doing some other stuff.

Among other things I finally got around to experimenting with silicone molds for duplicating stuff. I plan to use it for creating objects for terrain pieces. Had some good and bad experiences already. Will post some pics soon.

8. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what you have done with it. It could be of use for me in the futur ;)

LizardWizard, Lizerd and Aginor like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Here is the story:

In 2016 when I started with the hobby and bought my first few plastic kits I quickly realized that some bits would look awesome on terrain pieces, or that I could even fill up units (like 2 Skink boxes put you short of two Skinks to field them in AoS).
    So I bought:
    - two component silicone
    - a can of release agent
    - stewalin (works like plaster but synthetic and harder)
    - material to build casting walls
    - tools
    for about 100 bucks.

I also bought a set of resin objects from somewhere, containing a few crates, casks, sacks and that kind of stuff. My goal was to try and reproduce those as they have relatively simple shapes and aren't too big, but still have enough detail to judge quality.

...and then I put all of it into a cupboard and walked away for four years. Hobby ADHD at its best.

Two years ago I thought about the topic once again. But I had not done anything with silicone molds previously so I was a bit reluctant to try it. Instead I got myself some Oyumaru, also called "blue stuff", and tried making molds that way. That worked halfway well and i created my first few models out of some thermoplastic material that I just kneaded while hot and pressed into the molds manually. I produced two halfway OK looking Dryads for my wife. But I quickly realized that I would not be able to produce high quality that way.
    So I built a small casting box out of plasticard sheets...

...and put everything in the cupboard because hobby ADHD.
    Another two years passed.

Two weeks ago my daughter found two 30 year old Barbie horses at my in-laws' house, they once belonged to my wife. Sadly one of them has been missing a part of its leg since the 1990s. That made my daughter a bit sad since it wouldn't stay upright, so she asked me if I could help the horse.
    So I talked to my brother (who is insanely more talented than me in such things) to see whether we could build an artificial limb, and he said "if we could only build a mold from the undamaged one's leg" which was when it clicked in my head. I mentioned the silicone and we went to work two days later (and yes, keeping distance, there is still a pandemic going).

Here is the horse:

Resized_20200521_155301.jpg

And here you can see the casting box, with a seal made of play dough and sprayed with release agent.
    Resized_20200521_164820(1).jpg

I then mixed the silicone (it is a 1:1 mix of two components) and filled it in. The box wasn't completely sealed so we had a small leak, but the silicone hardens within a few minutes so everything turned out to be OK.

Resized_20200521_170421.jpg

40 minutes later we destroyed the box and took out the mold:
    Resized_20200521_175852.jpeg

We carefully cut it open on one side to remove the leg from the mold. Then we closed it again, securing it with some duct tape. The mold was done. Time to fill it!

Stewalin is easy to handle, just mix it with water 4:1 and pour it in. Shake to remove bubbles and wait half an hour. It doesn't shrink at all (or very little), unlike resin.
    Resized_20200521_181621.jpg

I'll end the post here. Rest of the story coming soon.

10. Aginor
    Slann

We waited a tad longer than the box says, just to be sure, then we took out the limb.
    The casting quality looked good, even though it was our first try ever.

Resized_20200521_200426.jpg

We sawed off a part of the stump to make it even, and also to not have the attachment be the thinnest (and thus weakest) part of the leg. We used paper clips as pins, glued into holes which we bored with a pin vise, using epoxy glue. That's when we realized how hard stewalin is. It is basically ceramic. It was some work to put holes in there.

Resized_20200521_211853.jpg

Here is the horse with its new leg.
    Resized_20200521_214411.jpg

I used "Plasto" body putty to level the whole thing.
    20200524_151902.jpg 20200524_151922.jpg

The only thing missing now is a bit of paint.
    I already told my daughter that this horse will need to be handled with care.
    Stewalin is not the ideal material for this. It is quite hard so it will break if not handled with care. Right now I am searching for something that is as easy to handle and a bit softer.

This project got me to finally try making molds, and it was fun. So I finally got around to trying what I originally wanted. After four years.

So the next post will be about that. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  11. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

That's amazing !

Noxolotl, Aginor and Lizerd like this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Ok here is the promised next post about silicone molds:

The resin objects pack I bought contains six different shapes. I made silicone molds that each have three of those shapes.
    20200527_233735.jpg

The molds were made this way:
    1. Build a box large ejough in all dimensions. You can use play dough to make the inner edges of the box rounded, that will hell getting the finished mold out.
    2. Put the original parts in, using poster putty. That side will of course be flat in the end, so attach them at the bottom
    3. Spray with release agent and wait a few minutes.
    4. Mix silicone well and pour it in. Shake the bubbles out (vibration works well, like from a massage thing or - like I do it - from a nail lacquer shaker that I use for shaking my colors. But in a pinch you can just hammer on the table next to the mold with your fists) Wait half an hour.
    5. Destroy the box, or at least one or two walls so you can get the mold out
    6. The mold is very elastic, you can easily remove the originals.
    7. Fill in Stewalin, shake again. Wait for 30min.
    8. Remove your finished parts. They might have a slight "puddle" at the bottom but it is easy to remove.

The molds are super easy to use. Here are the parts I made (white) next to the originals. Most of the details are there even though I have had no previous experience with creating molds.
    The replicated models are heavier and more brittle though. Just act as if they were metal minis out of tin.
    I haven't painted Stewalin yet but people say it is good to paint because it is smooth and hard. Will try that soon.

20200527_233708.jpg 20200527_233658.jpg 20200527_233637.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

awesome stuff, the details are great.

Looking forward to more ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizerd likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Of course everyone with decent 3d modeling skills and a resin printer can do better these days, but it is still a kinda interesting thing to try.

The next post will provide a case which didn't work.

15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Your casting projects bring me a lot of joy. Great to see all those mass produced pieces!

Noxolotl, Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks!
    Also reminds me of continuing this thread. :)

17. Potter
    Skink

Potter Member

Wow, this operation on the white horse is bloody well done! Awesome!! Your daughter can be happy, she has such a talented dad. :D

18. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

I love the color choices you made for the trog! I especially like the slightly darker bit shaded up the dorsal; it makes it look like the fin is slightly translucent and you are seeing the torso coming through!!

Noxolotl and Aginor like this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

These molds are wild, wow.

Aginor likes this.
  20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

@Aginor I love that you're helping your daughter with your Warhammer skills.

Noxolotl, LizardWizard and Aginor like this.