1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS AoS FAQ first version is done!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by YZK, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

Slanputin and n810 like this.
  2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

And there was much rejoicing!

3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

I've just read it, and I think GW staff is doing an amazing job with its Facebook page!
    By the way, what do you think about those clarifications?
    I don't like the fact that you have to measure from the model parts instead of its base, and the possibility to infinite summoning... But it seems that all the other things are quite reasonable, right?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Raptor_00
    Skink

Raptor_00 Member

We still measure from bases at our local club just for ease.

I've got some Rippers on tall stalks that can't attack if they get base to base because they're more than an inch away. And no one want to put models on my bases because it's covered in jungle aquarium terrain.

My Archaon also is on top of a freaking castle. It would make him immune to being attached from the rear, it's that big. It would be silly for certain things to go model to model because how we've based/posed/modeled our minis.

Nothing against GW with model to model measurement, but when I've basically got a terrain piece on my base for coolness factor we're gonna measure to the base or it just won't work. Otherwise my opponent and I will just get frustrated.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

I really like what they're doing here - and I'm surprised how fast they came up with the answers.

There are a few things that bug me a little though.
    1) Automatic saves/hits/wounds/etc. - I don't see how this is beneficial for a fun game. Sure, there's mortal wounds, but not everything has mortal wounds, and not everything should have mortal wounds. I don't see how it would be fun to play against a Bastiladon with a mystic shield in cover - it doesn't even take a lot of effort to do that.
    2) Models can move directly up a wall - It's a bit weird that any model can climb over scenery. I'd like to see a chariot climb over a fortress wall. I'd say if it's more than a 45 degrees climb, you can't climb over it. But hey, it's their party.
    3) Models can move through gaps - If a model can fit in a gap between friendly units, it can move through. Since bases aren't part of the model, and not used for measurements whatsoever, this bugs me. A stegadon on a base takes a lot more space, and won't fit through a gap that a stegadon without base would fit through. Sure, you could just pick up the model and move it, as if the base wasn't there, but they specifically state that you can't move your model OVER other models, which is what you'd be doing.
    4) Infinite summoning - I get it, it doesn't make sense for summons to run out. But from a gameplay perspective I would limit it somehow. I hope they come out with an additional - optional - set of rules to be used in a competitive environment. A competition isn't solely about fun anymore - without boundaries, you can be the gentleman that you want to be, but
    5) Base on top of base - "Get off my lawn!" Seriously, bases always feel so fragile to me; grass and other fauna is glued on top of the base. I wouldn't want you to put Archaon on top of that. It'd flatten the grass and break my plants!

6. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Well, stacking Mystic shield and +1 AS is not a problem for me. You just need some wizard snipers, mortal wounds dealers and some serious Rend characters. Also, some characters are more important for your armies now, like Elven Dragon Mage with Dispell Magic spell. It's all about tactic.
    .... I am just a little bit worried about Crazy Auto-Save Immortal Lord Kroak, surrounded by Skink Starpriests.

Also, flying units with really high stands are quite problematic. For exaple: It's impossible for Skinks to attack Skycutters with really high bases/stands. But Skycutters have bows, so they can attack without problems...
    I guess it's similiar to 40k air vehicles shooting...

7. Phoedinn
    Razordon

I think I would be ok with it if all the flyers (at least in a single unit) had the same high of flying stand. Having them all different heights that are unchangeable is a bit broken for that rule.

8. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Yeah... I had an interesting battle. Some Seraphon stuff + flamespyre phoenix vs. Death units. I could fly over the enemy units (and deal mortal wounds using Wake of Fire) and only large (and ranged) Death miniatures could attack me. On the other hand - I could not melee attack either.

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well the swooping attack puts you flying unit at ground level for melee attacks... (and getting hit in return.)

10. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Well, this works only with Seraphon's Dactyls. They have this as a rule in the warscroll, so this shouldn't work for the rest of flying units... I guess.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

haven't read many of the other armies scrolls yet, wasn't sure if many other fliers got this rule or not.

12. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Only Seraphons have this rule. I checked every single warscroll in AoS.

13. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Looks like that's one more revision to add to my custom flying rules! All flyers get a basic swoop ability :)

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The whole effort is interesting.
    Some thing seems good, while some other ones perplex me.

Time will tell, i suppose...

Bowser likes this.
  15. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I am not sure if i am wrong but I believe this is just the first revisiĆ³n that they eanted to doble check with the community. They mentioned they would be launching a final one in their website soon after but for what I know they habent yet.

It still clears up a lot of questions, like summoning.

Bowser likes this.