1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

chameleons are going to get murdered the moment they try that though. And given that there's going to be at least 1 round of combat before that shooting unit's shooting phase they're liable to be wiped out without doing anything. You'd need to start throwing groups of 10 around just to have them reliably survive long enough for them to actually block some shooting and even then they're not going to survive more than a single turn.. and throwing around groups of 20 for it is just a waste of points, you might as well just kill it with the 20 chameleons then... Unless you're blocking some ungodly powerfull artillery I wouldn't expect this to be all that viable or usefull a strategy.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  2. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

You have a valid point. Lets hope for a reduction then.
    Atleast they now can shut down warmachine hopefully. They tend to really suck in CC. Although looking af SCE, they probably will bedecent

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

There's slaaneshi stuff now and they appear to have some new models looking at the pictures. Though that might just be the painting being inconsistent across models.

More importantly though glorious summoning changes:

"Using the new Depravity Points system, you’ll be able to bring anything from Daemonettes to a Keeper of Secrets onto the tabletop WITHOUT spending reinforcement points...... They’re not the only faction to be receiving summoning changes, either"

We might finall get an actually good summoning system instead of the glorified deepstrike it is now. Admittadly I'l be damned how functional the slaaneshi-system will be as it relies on enemies not dying too quickly. Facing a cannonfodder army would stop em from summoning nearly completly which is kind of odd.

Also, the hint for other factions does seem great for us especially seeing as we're one of the summoning-heavy factions I'd assume this implies we're going to get some proper support from GW for the first time in a long time.

4. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what we'll have ! I have my hope high.

Crowsfoot and Canas like this.
  5. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Pretty hyped! Guess we’ll have to score points somehow. With nurgle I believe they get point by contaminating terrain en fieldarea or so?
    Slanesh with causing wounds/pain/torture. Khorne probably blood tithe points. All fitting their fluff.

So if we get summoning point, how would we yield them? Fluffwise that is. Im not to known with the fluff unfortunatly. Will it be something with starlight?

Edit: and what do we hope? Before today I hoped it was tied to magic. Maybe using a command point to attempt one summon spell. Doesnt seem to over powered. It cost you a commandpoint, a spell and an uncertainty chance

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

What I'd like is something to connected to constallations, networks and geometric shapes, for example gaining points for making shapes with your slann and skink priests.

e.g.
    Have a slann gain a point.
    Have a skink hero within 3" of him gain another point
    have a skink hero within 2" of that first skink hero get another
    Bonus points if you make a geometric shapes, the more complex the better.

Alternativly, we could place some "places of power" or "leyline" markers down at the start of the game, similar to death's graveyards. If we control them we get points, if we can connect them by chaining units (say have a chain of units between them no more than 5" apart and no enemies in between) we get more points.

it'd fit thematicly though I'm not sure if something like this would be particularly practical.

I'm not sure what else we could do that'd fit thematicly other than just giving us a random spell/ability that goes "roll a a dice on a 6+ gain a summoning point" and the fluff explenation is essentially "generic ritual to generate power"

I do hope that point generation and cost will be balanced to be less strict than is currently the case with nurgle though. If we take that one as an example it's nigh impossible to summon more than 10-20 plaquebearers which is still a tad too limited. It's fine for smaller games but doesn't scale into larger games. The slaneshi one does work better though, bigger pains will have more points and more stuff to torture so more points to summon.

7. Nefertem
    Temple Guard

Nefertem Well-Known Member

I don't know if that system will work, with regards to slaanes now. Being rewarded not to kill an enemy seems..odd. The key to success is mostly by killing stuff. And as far as I understood they get points for just wounding a model. So either they get a KoS very cheap, or the whole mechanism will backfire. I also hope we don't have to do some geometric shapes to get points. Every half witted enemy will immediately snipe those exposed characters, and you're done. Of course these presented systems fit in fluff wise, but I feel that they won't have a tangible effect.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well, looking at slaaneshi heroes (the ones generating the points), most of their attacks deal 1 damage. So if they go and kill another hero with say 4 wounds they'l generate 3 points as each wound would generate a point. It should work reasonably well, especially against armies like the SCE where every model has multiple wounds and thus will generate some points while getting murdered. The only situation where they run into issues is if they'd have to fight say a 100 skinks, then they'd not generate anything.

It's the only thing I can think of that'd fit nicely in terms of fluff though, and is actually unique. I don't think sniping would be that big of an issue, at least not more than it currently already is. Our heroes are already key for synergy and killing them already massivly hamstrings us. If you're playing against seraphon you should be sniping them most of the time to begin with. So yeah, basicly we're already in that situation :p

What would be far more problematic though is the sheer number of heroes & space that'd be required to actually make shapes. If they're gonne go with something surrounding constalations/leylines/geometric shapes they're going to have to involve stuff besides heroes or pre-marked points on the battlefield (like thos graveyards). Anyways, with how AoS is going I'd expect them to deem this far too complicated to actually pull off and balance so they'l probably just stick with somehing fairly "lame" like a basic ritual or some such...

Crowsfoot, Koriialstraz and Aginor like this.
  9. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Crowsfoot and Captaniser like this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I do like their new spell. For once something that doesn't do freaking mortal wounds. Do it still begs the question, what exactly are you supposed to do against these spells other than killing the wizard maintaining it.

Captaniser likes this.
  11. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

De spells look faction specific. Can we assume each faction gets one?

12. Christopher
    Terradon

13. Christopher
    Terradon

It certainly seems like there are faction-specific spells, but it's probably a tall ask that every faction get one, at least at the beginning. Though I suppose there'll be room for that in the new magic book.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'd really hope they're not going to make em faction specific… magic is already so limited in terms of available spells. Share some of the love, share spells.

I don't like that rule… -1 to hit isn't exactly amazing on squishy heroes, the one in need of protection, while sturdier support heroes now become even more difficult to kill. E.g a squishy starpriest is maybe going to last an attack or two longer, while a lord-castellant will be nigh impossible to wound by most ranged attacks like this….

Also; it doesn't do anything to protect from spells or ranged abilities that aren't subject to hit-rolls.

And lastly, it doesn't help squishy single-model non-hero units like the skaven weapon teams, which is somewhat lame.

I mean, it's a start for protecting squishy support heroes, but it's kind of dissapointing.

15. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Well it does help alot against 6+ to hit from skyfires, vanguard raptors and others doing special damage on a X+

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

true.. I suppose it at least stops those from freaking too much havoc.. Slightly better than expected, though still nowhere near what the squishier support heroes would need. At least it helps stop those from sniping the heavier frontline heroes..

17. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

> tfw look out sir is in AoS

[​IMG]

Jolly good!

18. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I had hoped for more but at least it is a step into the right direction.

Canas likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I just realized another silly thing about this rule… Monsters aren't protected by it, presumably cuz they're large and easy to hit. You know what aren't monsters? A skaven screaming bell, a plague furnace, the fish-elve watergod thing, a celestant prime (apparently a "human" in fact), the 2 shrines of the daughters of khaine amd various other things all of which are fairly massive models. The smallest monster I've found is I think the keeper of secrets standing at about 1.5 times the size of a SCE, which is comparable in size to several other models that don't count as monsters....

The rule's a tad weird like this… couldn't they have just gone with "provided the model isn't taller than X"? Say, taller than most cavalry, so about 1.5 SCE on foot? Even with how certain models may be hunched or doing some heroic pose it shouldn't be too difficult to have most of em fall in one catagory or the other, hell just publish a list of models that are subject to the rule for all I care... this is just kinda weird..

20. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Taller than X would cause havok. Monster key word makes a lot of sense.

Captaniser likes this.