1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Behemoth keyword would suits better imo. Or is that the same?

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I get that taller than X would result in numerous issues with people trying to essentially cheat the system, but that could be solved by simply only allowing official models in actual tournaments, and anyone playing like that isn't going to keep friends to play with for long anyway….

What I mostly find confusing is how inconsistent it is. A demon prince is a monster, a lord celestant on dracoth is not. What's the difference? They're roughly the same size. It's not like the demon prince is a mindles animal and thus won't listen to "look out sir". What's the reason why the demon prince doesn't benefit from it? Hell for that matter,why does a large slow weaponsplatform like a plague furnace benefit from a freaking "look out sir"? Are the skaven surrounding i pushing it around so quickly it can dodge arrows? Hilarious an image as that might be it doesn't exactly work.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I was hoping for it to be like 40K in that you couldn’t target heroes unless they are the closest enemy model, but it’s better than nothing. It’s certainly rubbish to say that there’s a relatively small number of ranged units in the game and that they should retain a ‘niche’ as hero-snipers. I really hate that. It’s so unrealistic to see a massive group of archers all firing at a leader character and not his horde of mates around him, which are more numerous and are instinctively seen as the greater threat. You could only do that with a weapon like a sniper rifle in reality, and since GW have veered away from doing weapon-specific special rules in AoS it makes things more difficult. The only way in which they could do it would be to say that generally units can’t fire at characters unless they are the closest enemy model and then have some specific sniper units that have a special rule saying ‘This unit can fire at enemy characters with their missile weapons even if they aren’t the closest enemy model’. That would be so much more realistic, but it’s better than it was before at any rate.

Agreed. I really was hoping for the 40K rule, but it is OK and stacks well with other to Hit roll penalties. It might even dissuade your opponent from wasting their shots on an infantry hero and might make them take the more efficient path of firing at your units.

Canas likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

nope, most monsters aren't behemoths. But yeah, that'd already work a lot better. At least then it mostly just affects large stuff while monsters vary from huge things like a stardrake to about the size of a large mount like a demon prince.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I think the main issue is probably that the fish elves already took a variant of the 40K rule as their special rule.. that probaly makes it impossible to apply it to everyone else...

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It’s not the same - it applies to all units not just characters. They have to shoot the closest unit.

Canas likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Just edited it to say "a variant of the 40K rule". Anyway, it's similar enough that they'd probably feel cheated if others got the 40K rule I guess.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Isn't that the case with Bonesplitterz? IIRC they have the allegiance ability which says that regardless of enemy rend they always get a 6+ save.
    And the GHB2017 has a rule that says a natural 6 for a save roll is always a success.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Unsure on that one but certainly it would be annoying for Bonesplitterz players if that occurred.

Hopefully they’ll fix that for them in the new edition. Surely they’ll have a faction focus for them at some point? Bonesplitterz certainly seem to need some bonuses as certainly they are one of the armies given a tome with the fewest troop types in the game. At least Fyreslayers have a monster, and a really good and cheap one too. Bonesplitterz just have Savage Orcs divided into a couple of different units and Savage Orc Boar Boyz with several characters. They need something like a madcap siege weapon, a big monster or something else to differentiate them from the other factions.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

I checked back and indeed there is such a rule.
    But at least it also has a 6+ save against mortal wounds so it isnt fully useless.

About monsters... I don't know. Bonesplitterz kinda hate monsters it seems. But some chariot or so would be cool.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Certainly funny and suitably bonkers... :hilarious:

Or some really flimsy-looking stone thrower that can somehow flatten Stormcast Eternals easily...

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Nah that won't fit with the tribal feel, they need something like killer apes

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Really? I thought the natural 6's and 1's Always succeeding/failing were just extremely common house-rules. Not official rules.

Put the gargants in their faction. Or troggoths. Neither of those are a worthy faction on their own and they're tribal enough to fit. Alternativly give them some grot followers. The grot rock lobber is simple enough that it can fit with their army and I'm sure we can make up "tribal" grots easily enough as well.

14. Aginor
    Slann

They are official rules.
    GHB2017 page 76. That specific one is the third Rule of One.

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I wonder if that rule will get tweaked with the new edition

16. Aginor
    Slann

Same here. I expect it to stay though.

17. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Only to hit and wound rolls of 6. Saves not. Thats how I read the second rule. Or is it somewhere else too?

18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yea seems to say only hit & wounds of 6 succeed. but hit wounds saves of 1 fail.
    Minor sidenote, wouldn't this also imply that technicly it's impossible to stop "on a 6+ do extra damage" attacks?

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Giants would make sense as part of Bonesplitterz. Remember they already have Tribal Grots in the form of Spiderfang Grots, A.K.A. Forest Goblins, so unless they want to merge the two they will have to think of something other than that.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

the spiderfang have a strong team going with their spiders though, shouldn't be too difficult to keep the two seperate in terms of style.