1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well the issue is that without paying reinforcement points they are hellishly cheap. A unit of pink horrors is only a 120 points. And a 120 points for 10 pink horrors alongside 20 blue and 20 brimstone horrors is well, a tad too cheap. On the other hand they also end up summoning such an ungodly amount that I can't really think of a way of incoperating it into a neat mechanic easily. So i'm curious how they'l do those specificly.

2. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

I get the feeling that the Brayherd’s going to get glossed over. Again. At least Morghur can turn my Ungors into Chaos Spawn again.

Wazz likes this.
  3. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Love it for the sylvaneth! Just turn one, boom! Unit of kurnoth with bows, that van still shoot. And cant be sniped before they get to shoot.

I find it a nice indicator that summoning isnt going to be weak. Really hyped for tomorrow!!

Wazz likes this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

My plan all along has been to scratchbuild something on a spare metal Stegadon or even a plastic Dino.

That graphic said, TRANSFORM.

I have been suggesting versions of this idea all over the Internet. :shifty: Nice that they are finally reading my posts and paying attention.

The notion is not my original idea. It goes back to the Middle Ages at least, to stone circles that according to folk lore, are dancing maidens turned to stone or some such as that. In fiction, C.S. Lewis used the idea: Jadis the Evil Snow Queen used it on herself and her loyal Dwarf in order to hide at one point. In gaming, the now old computer game Warcraft II had a Wizard Spell which allowed the spellcaster to Target a foe and turn it into an innocuous critter (a sheep, seal, or a pig). In the Potterverse books Rowling called it Transfiguration.

All the Skaven are getting to do is choose an opposing model, and replace it with a Rat model, because *Kabaaam!* it got Transmogrified, Transfigured, or Transformed.

And I have no idea why there are three words in English that all mean nearly the same thing.

Captaniser and Wazz like this.
  5. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

You can add Polymorph to those too! ( that was the spells name from warcraft 2.)

pendrake likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O transforming is common enough a trope, I'm just confused were it came from. The others make some sense fluff-wise, but as far as I know skaven never morphed their victims into new skaven. So I'm slightly confused as to how and why. I'd assume they just want them to be in line with the other major chaos powers, but it feels out of place. Feels like they're trying to make skaven more similar to the beastmen, transformed creatures some of which used to be human. Which is weird.

Wazz and Ecozh like this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I had forgotten that! I was always amused that a Dragon could be turned into a Sheep.

Koriialstraz and Wazz like this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

They learned a new set of spells...
    :bookworm:
    ...this is what sorcerers do.
    :rolleyes:

9. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

*dusting my old biology books off*

This reminds me off a famous experiment.
    Generatio spontinea firs quite well for them.
    Around the middle ages philosophers thought living being could for out non-living material and kadavers.

Mice that are born from a shirt
    Philosophers from ancient Greece believed that life was contained in matter itself and when conditions were favourable it would appear spontaneously.
    Aristotle synthesized in one of his theories all the ideas on spontaneous generation by the philosophers that came before him.
    According to the great philosopher, living beings are born from similar organisms, but sometimes they can also be generated from inert matter. All things, in fact, have a “passive element” which is their matter and an “active element” which is their shape, meaning a sort of inner force which gives the matter its shape.
    For example, clay is a nonliving matter that has an active element which enables it to shape inert matter into a living being, such as for example a worm or a frog.
    The spontaneous generation theory was supported by famous scientists such as Newton, Descartes and Bacon and in 1500 there were people who still believed that geese were born from certain trees that lived in contact with the ocean and that lambs were generated inside melons.
    The first experiments to prove the spontaneous generation theory were done in the XVII century and a doctor called Jean Baptiste Van Helmont declared he had performed a unique experiment: he placed a dirty shirt together with some wheat and according to him, mice were born 21 days later. According to the Doctor the sweat in the shirt was the active element which gave life to the inert matter.

Koriialstraz, Wazz and Captaniser like this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well yeah, but skaven tend to prefer spells that go boom or zap very loudly with colourfull flashes. This seems too boring a spell. Plus, what skaven wants to create more skaven, they'l just backstab you anyways. Much better to make em go boom or zap.

I like the one where they thought certain birds came from tree's in the south to explain migrating birds :p

Koriialstraz and Wazz like this.
  11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

There is little difference between this and the current Theory of Evolution. The concepts differ only in the particulars: the former requires a pile of dirty laundry to produce mice while the latter requires a puddle of ‘primordial soup’ to produce microbes.

:shifty: But of course, we all know: It Was The Old Ones.

Simply imagine a loud kerBLAAM! accompanied by a huge cloud of green smoke, which reveals a wretched rat once it dissipates.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Koriialstraz, Wazz and IggyStarhost like this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Still feels unskaven-like to make clanrats. Now if they'd wipe out an entire unit and turn that into a hell-pit abomination that'd feel far more proper. A simple clanrat is just far too simple for such a grand wizard like a grey seer to conjure up.

Koriialstraz, Ecozh and pendrake like this.
  13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Only three of them though, and only once per game. I could just deepstrike a unit of ten Hearthguard 9” away from them on my next turn and fire 20 blasts of lava at them, then move an inch closer next turn and fire 20 blasts of lava and 10 throwing axes.

I think that Alarielle’s healing ability being changed like this has made it easier for me to fight these abominations - Alarielle can only summon once per game now rather than potentially every turn. Quite a big nerf which I’m very pleased to see.

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

This has been going on though since Fantasy - seeing some of your opponent’s elite troops being mutated into Clanrats is pretty funny, especially as you can’t have too many Clanrats because they’re so weak.

15. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Haha as a former ecologist I can concured that is exactly what happend. Slanns forged all life on earth!

Koriialstraz, Wazz and pendrake like this.
  16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I would be cool with that. And maybe, just maybe, the ideas that will eventually bubble forth (spew?) from The Nottingham Brain Trust (TNBT) will be almost as cool as my ideas which,

:pompus:
    ...as always, are thoroughly superior to, and better thought through, than any of theirs...
    :pompus:
    I am guessing that the new and as yet unproven Deadly Thirteenth Spell (...that was what the graphic said? Yes? No?) will affect 3+2D6 models or so. So, perhaps the suddenly missing 10 models can be replaced on a wound for wound basis with whatever is in the dead pile. 10 Clanrats / or an Abom, a Rat-Ogre, and a Clanrat / or 4 Rats + 2 Ogres...etc.

But here is the much spiffier Pendrake version:
    Set off the spell; remove opponent’s models; replace them with Green Smoke Markers; (...these are scratch built out of empty figure bases, cotton batting, and bright green ink...) the Smoke sits on the table for at least one combat phase; it poisons and chokes any models that are nearby; then it dissipates, revealing Conjured Skaven models (on a wound-for-wound basis, as above); these relentlessly attack until they are destroyed (permanent Frenzy; LD 13, since they were conjured by the deadly thirteenth) finally, once something kills them they have (at least) a 1 in 6 chance of exploding! :wideyed:

:angelic: Whaddya bet the rule TNBT eventually reveals is lame by comparison?

Koriialstraz likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well frenzy and LD aren't things in AoS so yeah, it'l be lacking those for starters.

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

But you can replicate them - a huge bravery value for LD and extra Attacks or something for a period of time for Frenzy.

Wazz likes this.
  19. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Endless Spells article. RIP Kroaknado. To be honest, you weren't very well-liked by a lot of folks. But I for one, will miss you.

Wazz and Koriialstraz like this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Those two endless spells shown look really cool.

Though I'm unclear how the dispelling will work exactly. Is it just going to be a case of beating the casting value? Cuz that seems too easy to be honest.

This doesn't exactly end Kroaknado though, it just means the balewind can now actually be dispelled but it says nothing else about the advantages that it gives. Plus, as long as you can just immeadiatly summon it back again I don't think Kroak would be all that bothered.

Also, is there any indication for ho we know if a wizard knows a given endless spell yet?

Koriialstraz and Ecozh like this.