1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

With the advent of the internet all of it can be found online for free regardless, including those battalion rules. The battalions is just one of the few things GW hasn't bothered to put a pdf online themselfs. Everything else has official pdf's from GW. So yeah, you can get all the rules for free which is quite neat. The books are simply a nice shiny collection of the rules but not actually needed anymore. Just download all the pdf's and put em on a tablet near your gaming table and you have em all as well.

Crowsfoot and Ecozh like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Or use the app which is £0.99 per month which again is worth it.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Or print em.
    Or write them all down yourself with neat kaligraphy
    Or chisel them into stone plates.

Plenty of ways to keep the rules around; point being it can be done for free/very cheaply :p

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yep ;)

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

while true, we must look also at the negative aspects of the Old Way.
    Few books and years of waiting took the game to a stagnant level, where a new edition was running and some armies were still stuck with their old, surpassed manual. And if your codex was not competitive, your army would have been condemned to fall behind for years.
    It was terrible.

With the current system, every army receives something helpful with every release. For example, Dispossessed (an army which still lacks a battletome) received additional abilities and new artefacts with the GHB17. Sure, there are still top-tier and low-tier army, but the game is in constant evolution and everyone knows that each year, something will be given to their own army.

@NIGHTBRINGER ... what's your opinion?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

You can technically get the alligence abilities for free too, just not thru GW. When ghb2017 came out I think like 5 people posted all the stuff involving Seraphon here instantly. So it's all kinda free? Lol

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Let's talk about something that hasn't been the business model for the past 3 years and will be for the foreseeable future... This is a thread about AoS2 afterall.

How do people feel about endless spells? I think the fact they come as their own suppliment and book is pretty cool, makes them pretty optional and adds some good depth to the game. Will be interested to see how they play out in practicality, I know for sure I'll be picking them up.

The spell that gives bonus to save against range weapons is nice, very useful.

Nefertem, Wazz and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I think it's needed, magic was crap and needed something to give it well, magic, how endless the spells will be is what I have been wondering.
    I like the markers for them that adds more visual impact and saves us all making our own.

The spell against ranged will be useful for melee heavy armies and static heros.

Ecozh, Aginor, Wazz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Don't forget that "look out sir!" will be there to put some serious longevity onto some heroes now, something Seraphon in particular were very very weak against.

Ecozh, Wazz and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah it's looking good and I can't wait for the new GHB to drop

Wazz likes this.
  11. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

The cover spell is going to be awesome! The heal spell is going to be really clutch for Maggotkin, beastclaw and Ironjawz, well anyone with multiwounds lol. It is cool it does bring stuff back too (I think) they changed some of the generic scenery rules as well. One gives you a 5+ fnp and deadly does d3 mortal wounds instead of killing!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Pretty much agree with that.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I like em for the most part. Just a few things I worry about.

1) How will this work with the rule of 1? Limiting the amount of burning heads to 1 is probably acceptable, even if you don't like the rule of 1, but for example that prysmatic barrier seems like something you'd want to cast multiple of otherwise it'l just be a weak gimmick.

2) How do your wizards "learn" the spell? They cost points, is the point cost per cast? Per wizard? Just once for the entire army?

3) Maybe a tad too damage focussed. Though it is at least a very good start towards fleshing out magic

4) How's dispelling going to work exactly? If it's too easy you're going to end up in a situation where your "endless" spell lasts all the way till your opponents next hero phase...

I hope they'l slightly adapt it to work for all singular model units. Stuff like skryre warpflame throwers really need the same protection.

I'm curious if this'l also mean some of the more sturdy "support" heroes like some of the SCE will lose a bit of their base-stats to ensure they're not too overpowered

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I believe they said something about your opponant being able to take them over... Could be wrong, we'll have to wait and see. Should be a fun mechanic, but maybe not for use in every game.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Maybe the rule of 1 is changing.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

To be honest it was no different during 8th edition. All the pdfs were available online if one were so inclined.

To be honest I think there is happy medium to be found. The old WFB way was quite unfair because some of the armies were simply forgotten. It was okay if you were playing Orcs & Goblins for instance but much less so if you fancied Bretonnia. Additionally, the infrequency of the FAQs was brutal. On the other hand, I think that the yearly updates via the GHB might be a bit too much (at least for my liking). While you want to avoid stagnation, you also want to allow for sufficient time so that players can settle in a bit. Of course it is difficult for me to judge because I don't really know how significant the changes are from one GHB to another. Are they equivalent to a FAQ/errata or are they small changes or significant changes or drastic changes.

My preference would likely lie somewhere in between.

Sounds familiar. :cool:

17. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

@Ritual the person who goes 2nd gets to move the first spell, then they alternate.

18. Mormblwka
    Saurus

Mormblwka Member

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Wazz likes this.
  20. Mormblwka
    Saurus

Mormblwka Member

I guess none)

I believe SCE and Nighthaunts will receive even №3 "What's coming next"