1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Do you ever see other AS1 players using move trays to speed up moving models about? Is that something that never happens?

So no player will ever need more than one copy of the boxed set of all the spells?

One copy per player sounds like they’ll never sell off the initial production run of the sets. Are they injection molded styrene? The conventional wisdom is minimum production runs for styrene sprues are 30-40 thousand impressions for each mold?

It puts a damper on potential sales of the Spell terrain pieces. Might the eventual strategy be to encourage players to have a unique set of Spell Pieces for each Army they play? Flaming heads in different colors of flame—that sort of thing.

Canas likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

How the hell are they going to convince anyone of that? Tell people they need a purple flaming head cuz their red one is lame?

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Maybe a multi/color one for a Tzeentch Army? Beats me.

Worldwide, how many Warhammer players are there, do we think? 700,000 customers out of 7,000,000,000 world population? Or less? Just 70,000 players?

Maybe small batch runs are now more of a possibility than I think.

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, it is fairly core to the game so they can expect that most active players will buy it. Plus there's the fact that the models look neat for armies on parade stuff and kitbashing. I expect that they'd simply start selling the models seperatly at some point.

Also, models break, replacements will be bought.

In between all that I think they're simply expecting them to just sell relativly reliably if slowly once the initial wave has bought their stuff.

5. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

That is also true... then I don't run a Slann. Have to build that EotG now and hope I get lucky. Cause I think it's only the Slann you can summon with and the Engine.
    Will have to dust off my Slann now

Wazz likes this.
  6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I think the main reason they say one of each endless spell per player is because otherwise it would get super-OP if the more powerful magic users such as Nagash and Morathi were able to summon more than one of the same endless spell in the same turn as they would go around and do all kinds of damage to the opposing army, unless they had a powerful magic user of their own to counter that. Endless spells themselves are a great leap forward that will make magic considerably more powerful in the game, approaching Fantasy-level magic in its ability to change the game - to have multiple copies cast by the same character in the same turn would just be going too far. Also it would be weird if one model of an endless spell came into contact with another model of the same spell belonging to the same player - would the first one destroy the second one due to the carnivorous magics attacking each other?

Wazz and pendrake like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

That still makes it a bad solution. The current solution hurts a lot of "genuine" uses to solve certain specific abusive cases, much like the actual rule of one.

What would be better imho would be to just reign in the power of the spells so that spamming em isn't such a problem. For example, there's no need to have everything do mortal wounds. Hell, arguably it'd open up a bunch of possibilities. For example right now the majority of the damage ones do D3 mortal wounds to whatever they moved across/came near. If one of em instead just did say 2D6 normal wounds it'd actually stand out and serve a different purpose as opposed to having a slightly different minor side-effect.

Secondly, they could add in a mechanic represeting the unstability of the magics. The more endless spells active, the more likely the next one will blow up in the caster's face. Let's say failing the casting roll once there's already one present means your wizard suffers D3 wounds and the casting value goes up by 1 for each one already present. Even Nagash with his 3+ to casting is rapidly going to run into issues then..

Thirdly, add in a mechanic that the spells have a chance to blow up whenever they get near eachother. If they have a 50% chance of blowing up the moment you put them within 9" of eachother it'l already severly limit the amount of spells you can put out as you'l just run out of space.

All of these would add flavor to the magic system, increase diversity and be consistent with the fluff and thus be far better than just "you can only cast 1 of em"

As for Nagash, they could just change Nagash to not be a horrificly overpowered caster. A 3+ bonus to casting when casting values are usually 5-8 alongside the ability to cast 8 spells while most can only cast 1 will Always mean that Nagash is going to be overpowered when the average caster is balanced. The only ways to keep Nagash in check would result either in the average casters being far too weak or by using gimmicky and "lame" rules like the rule of 1 to negate most of what makes him stand out as a powerfull caster. Seriously, with the rule of 1, what's the point of having 8 casting attempts?

Also, stuff's up for pre-ordering.

Freddy25 likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Apparently there are new Warscroll Battalions for Seraphon, Ironjawz and Fyreslayers, so I’m interested to see what the Fyreslayers ones are. More ways for me to configure what units I will purchase! :joyful:

Wazz likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Here are the points for the spells btw.

Attached Files:

Captaniser likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mwha, could be worse I guess. Though I do wonder, how many endless spells are they expecting people to field on average? They're too expensive to really start spamming. Hell, even spamming multiple copies of the same spell would rapidly get very expensive if it were allowed/possible. Feels like they're expecting to rarely field more than 1.

11. Aginor
    Slann

I think two may be the sweet spot. You can get a Vortex and a Palisade for less points than a hero like a Skink Priest.

Wazz likes this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, what happens if you summon the same endless spell twice? Does the first one dissapear? Is it impossible to recast until it's dispelled?

13. Aginor
    Slann

I do that.
    Opponents are happy with it usually because it saves a lot of time.

If I understood it correctly you just cannot cast it again. At least not in matched play.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Sigh… That's going to be fun against mobile armies, or if you're unlucky with who gets control over the spell a couple times in a row. It's fairly liable to end up roaming in a corner of the battleground not doing much that way.

15. Aginor
    Slann

As far as I understood you always get control of the spell. The turn order decides who is allowed to move it first but both players can move it.

Wazz likes this.
  16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ah, thought it was just 1 person.

That makes it even easier to get it stuck somewhere doing nothing productive though… quite liable to end up with it just going back and forth between the same two spots as one player is trying to hit a target and the other is just moving it away.

Ah well, I'm curious how it'l end up.

Freddy25 likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Me too. Putting an endless spell where your opponent is going to walk might put them into a difficult situation.

18. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

I don't know where everyone is getting this "only one endless spell per army per turn" thing from.
    I read that as "only one endless spell attempt per wizard per turn" and "only one of each endless spell in play at a time per army". Sure, your Slann can't stick himself on a Balewind then drop Chronomantic Cogs behind himself and a Palisade in front of all the enemy artillery via one of the skink starpriests... but the skink starpriest could easily do one of those himself. It's not like our whole army is built around having only a Slann for casting, even if he's our best caster and any army without a Slann might as well not even deploy. And for spellcasters with no real downsides, Starpriests are pretty cheap! And they're surprisingly good in a Knights army, if you're running Dracothion's Tail; that Serpent Staff buff affects 3/4 of a Knight's attacks and always works. If you can make them land the hits, it'll help them a lot.

Speaking of making them land the hits, do we have any way of improving to wound rolls? Modifiers or rerolls, I'm not picky.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Saurus oldblood gives re-rolls of 1 for wounds to every saurus near him.

20. Aginor
    Slann

I have it from someone who did an AMA on the TGA forums, he has the book.